Recipe What's This!

Bloody Mary Jelly
Ingredients
Tomato juice (3 parts)
Vodka (1 part)
Agar Agar flakes (use enough for a firm set based on packet instructions)
Tabasco
Worcestershire Sauce (optional - vegetarians can substitute soy sauce)

Method

• Put the tomato juice in a saucepan and sprinkle over the Agar Agar. Heat gently until agar dissolves (do not stir)
  • Simmer for ten minutes stirring occasionally.
  • Allow to cool and stir in vodka, dash of Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce (if using)
  • Line a small teacup or similar with cling film allowing a very generous overlap on all sides.
  • Pour the mix into the cling film in desired quantity. I think its best to make them quite small so that they just pop into the mouth.The one in the photo is a bit large!
  • Gather edges of cling film together and twist tightly until all air is removed and the liquid forms a sphere when held up.
  • Knot the cling film tightly to retain the shape,
  • Hang 'tomato' in the fridge until set. I did this laying a small knife across the top of a beaker and tying the tail of the cling film to the knife - so that the 'tomato' was suspended in the beaker. There may be other methods!
  • When set, carefully unwrap the cling film and place a real tomato stalk on top of the 'tomato'.

Not really a "Recipe" thread.
Every other one has the recipe in the first post.

Just a bit of a laugh! But can you imagine making a load of them and serving them as a canape at a gathering? I think it would be fun.
Great ideal. You really did have me fooled - I thought it looked like an elongated Marmande tomato with the skin off! This concept has got my mind going...

Great ideal. You really did have me fooled - I thought it looked like an elongated Marmande tomato with the skin off! This concept has got my mind going...
Its worth exploring agar agar and the like. I'd love to see what you come up with. I have a few more ideas up my sleeve! :D

Back
Top Bottom