What's Your Favorite Cheddar?

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
5:59 AM
Which of the following cheddar cheese and alternates do you prefer.

- Cheddar, Extra Sharp White
- Cheddar, Extra Sharp
- Cheddar, Sharp
- Cheddar
- Colby
- American Cheese Product

I'm guessing "sharp" is what we'd call "mature" - in which case with cheddars I'd always go for mature or extra mature....the stronger the better! I usually have a big block of Coastal mature cheddar in the fridge for cooking with, but I rarely eat it on its own...cheddar isn't my favourite cheese for eating, there are far more interesting cheeses out there :okay:

I don't think I've ever seen Colby cheese in the UK...visually it looks quite similar to Red Leicester, but I've no idea what it tastes like. Also a lot of the descriptions say Colby is semi-soft? Red Leicester is definitely softer than a cheddar, but I woudn't call it semi-soft.

I'm guessing "sharp" is what we'd call "mature" - in which case with cheddars I'd always go for mature or extra mature....the stronger the better! I usually have a big block of Coastal mature cheddar in the fridge for cooking with, but I rarely eat it on its own...cheddar isn't my favourite cheese for eating, there are far more interesting cheeses out there :okay:

I don't think I've ever seen Colby cheese in the UK...visually it looks quite similar to Red Leicester, but I've no idea what it tastes like. Also a lot of the descriptions say Colby is semi-soft? Red Leicester is definitely softer than a cheddar, but I woudn't call it semi-soft.

Sharp cheddars are not only more biting in flavor, but they are harder cheeses. Regular cheddar is soft comparably. Colby is soft and more cottled in texture.

Sharp cheddars are not only more biting in flavor, but they are harder cheeses. Regular cheddar is soft comparably. Colby is soft and more cottled in texture.
Yep so sharp = mature. Mature cheddars are harder because of the aging process: as they age they lose moisture.

I'm not sure what cottled means though?

Yep so sharp = mature. Mature cheddars are harder because of the aging process: as they age they lose moisture.

I'm not sure what cottled means though?
Cottled is like with cottage cheese, - little lumps. Instead of having holes like Swiss or being solid, like cheddar, colby is like a bunch of little curd lumps all stuck together.

Extra mature cheddar for me. From the above comments I don't think colby is a cheddar, from the above comments. I do wonder if American cheddars are different from cheddar in the UK. I've not had a chance to compare.

Extra mature cheddar for me. From the above comments I don't think colby is a cheddar, from the above comments. I do wonder if American cheddars are different from cheddar in the UK. I've not had a chance to compare.

The original post mentions colby and American processed cheese as cheddar alternatives. They are not cheddar cheeses.

Cheese in the USA varies between the different vendors, for flavor, color and texture.

My favorite vendors for local store available cheeses are Tilamook, Sunnyside Farms, Lucerne and Walmart's Great Value. Great Value cheeses are the cheapest, but still taste good, at $3.36 USD for 16 Oz. The other vendors are bit more flavorful.

Different cheese vendors have different flavor and color, some using annato to get more yellow/orange color.

This is very interesting. I don't think I've had actual Cheddar so far.

Mostly I go with Gouda, Edam, Tilzit, some local demi-hard cheeses, smoked "Dimsi", Mozzarella, cottage, Brie...

Love the harder ones like Grana Padano...

I might try some new varieties, there is quite a wide offer.

Back
Top Bottom