What's your favorite way to prepare short ribs?

LA style Kalbi is the only recipe I keep on my phone. took a while talking to Korean store owners and blending various online recipes to home in on a version very much like my old roomates mom's.

I like to cut the meat and eat it in a wrap.

kalbi wrap.jpg

Kalbi is my favorite way to enjoy short ribs. I don't use a dry rub, but I cover them in marinade for a few hours before barbequing.
I often cheat and use a store bought marinade. I will take a picture of the one I like to use.

Kalbi is one of my favorites, but not my favorite. I'm not a huge fan of that way of cutting beef ribs. I still find that a long slow braise of short rib of beef is my favorite.

CD

My favorite way to prepare short ribs is to begin by starting them off in the pressure cooker for about 45 minutes or so, then in the oven they go for about an hour, after that, I brush them with some BBQ sauce. By the time they are done, they are fall-off-the-bone tender, like baby back ribs!! :whistling:

My favorite way to prepare short ribs is to begin by starting them off in the pressure cooker for about 45 minutes or so, then in the oven they go for about an hour, after that, I brush them with some BBQ sauce. By the time they are done, they are fall-off-the-bone tender, like baby back ribs!! :whistling:

I like my braised short ribs to be "fall off the bone." BBQ ribs, like baby backs, should never be cooked that much. I like to have a little bit of chew on my baby backs. The meat should easily pull off the bone, but not fall off the bone. That seems to be a regional thing. In the NE, people seem to like "fall off the bone" ribs. Down South, we like pull off the bone ribs with some chew left in them.

CD

I like my braised short ribs to be "fall off the bone." BBQ ribs, like baby backs, should never be cooked that much. I like to have a little bit of chew on my baby backs. The meat should easily pull off the bone, but not fall off the bone. That seems to be a regional thing. In the NE, people seem to like "fall off the bone" ribs. Down South, we like pull off the bone ribs with some chew left in them.

CD
Yes, like you said, that's all a matter of preference. We prefer tender, fall-off-the-bone ribs with no chew in this house (even babyback ribs), but since I am the one that cooks them, that's what everyone here has gotten used to eating (and I lived in the South for most of my life and moved to Ohio 22 years ago). And apparently that's not necessarily regional, as all of my SE Texas relatives (and my parents who were both from Port Arthur as well) preferred them very tender with no chew...and most of my friends in NE Florida like them that way as well. Not saying that there is anything wrong with the way you eat yours!

CD
This is a good distinction. I made some beef ribs in the instapot and they were deliciously tender, bone pulled right out without any friction, yet I somehow knew that's not how it was meant to be. My intent was to make braised beef short ribs, not beef stew :shy:

Italian style braised Beef Ribs.jpg

I forgot about this ... Italian-Inspired Braised Beef Ribs ...
medium Onion, chopped

Celery, Cremini Mushrooms, Tomato paste, canned diced Tomatoes, Tomato Sauce, sugar, Red Wine, 1 head of garlic, dried Thyme and Rosemary
It was fall off the bone, I removed it and reduced down the "gravy".
Note to self: make this dish again soon!

Yes, like you said, that's all a matter of preference. We prefer tender, fall-off-the-bone ribs with no chew in this house (even babyback ribs), but since I am the one that cooks them, that's what everyone here has gotten used to eating (and I lived in the South for most of my life and moved to Ohio 22 years ago). And apparently that's not necessarily regional, as all of my SE Texas relatives (and my parents who were both from Port Arthur as well) preferred them very tender with no chew...and most of my friends in NE Florida like them that way as well. Not saying that there is anything wrong with the way you eat yours!

I got used to how BBQ Pitmasters cook ribs, and now I am spoiled. You can get fall-off-the-bone ribs from a crock pot. Ribs cooked low and slow over a wood fire pull off the bone clean, but you still have to use your teeth. A crispy bark on the outside, and moist, tender meat on the inside.

CD

I’ve had ribs that were fall-off-the-bone, pull-off-the-bone, and fight-off-the-bone.

I have my preference, but in the end, they were all pork, so they were all good. 😋

Yeah, I won't get up from the table and walk away from crock pot ribs. I just know that when I eat really well smoked ribs, I can't get up from the table and walk away. Nothing fully functions but my hands and my mouth.

CD

It took me a while to find a way that I like them, but lately I’ve been cooking them in the pressure cooker with some onion, garlic, tomato paste, and a bottle of beer. When they’re done cooking, I put the meat off the bones, shred it, and then use it in tacos or burritos.

I'm starting to think that one of these days I need to buy a pressure cooker, LOL!

I’ve had ribs that were fall-off-the-bone, pull-off-the-bone, and fight-off-the-bone.

I have my preference, but in the end, they were all pork, so they were all good. 😋
<iframe width="948" height="533" src="
View: https://www.youtube.com/embed/4n7bUYBYZPE
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back
Top Bottom