What's your favorite way to prepare short ribs?

Last edited:
Well I finally got around to taking out a package to thaw for tomorrow. I was wondering how they would taste in beef tacos, actually. Hmmm. I suppose with a Mexican spices that might turn out really good. Not sure just yet.

But maybe first time out I should try something like this and save the tacos for another time:

Port Wine Braised Beef Short Ribs - Monthly wine club recipes - The California Wine Club - Recipes

I could serve that with some mashed potatoes and salad or a veg.

The link reminded me of watching Barefoot Contessa yesterday on Food Network, preparing short ribs. There are some similarities...

Red Wine-Braised Short Ribs | Recipes

The link reminded me of watching Barefoot Contessa yesterday on Food Network, preparing short ribs. There are some similarities...

Red Wine-Braised Short Ribs | Recipes
Yes, I had looked over one of her recipes, I guess she has more than one for short ribs.
INA GARTEN BRAISED SHORT-RIBS
But I am not sure about the tomatoes (or even tomato paste), I suppose it would be good but I don't think I want to do that with these.

I also am not a big fan of fennel (the second Ina recipe). I do like fennel seeds but not fennel itself. And I don't have any Guiness on hand (first Ina recipe).

But I do have port wine and cabernet on hand.

The photo for the second Ina recipe (the one I had found) looks like dog food, LOL.
1653839066376.png

The photo in the Ina recipe you provided looks much more appetizing.

1653839153560.png

Edited to add a photo from the recipe I am going to use:

1653846011255.png

Last edited:
Just started step 1 and the short ribs are marinading until around 5:45 (we don't eat until nearly 10).

Port Wine Braised Beef Short Ribs - Monthly wine club recipes - The California Wine Club - Recipes

Edited to add that I cut this recipe into thirds because I had 1.35 lbs of short ribs and the recipe calls for 3.5 to 4 lbs, plus we just can't eat that much food and I don't want leftovers until I know whether or not I am going to love this recipe. Also I added more garlic than the recipe calls for...more garlic is mo' bettah!

Last edited:
Just started step 1 and the short ribs are marinading until around 5:45 (we don't eat until nearly 10).

Edited to add that I cut this recipe into thirds because I had 1.35 lbs of short ribs and the recipe calls for 3.5 to 4 lbs, plus we just can't eat that much food and I don't want leftovers until I know whether or not I am going to love this recipe. Also I added more garlic than the recipe calls for...more garlic is mo' bettah!
Okay here's the part of the recipe I don't like:

7. Remove from oven and let cool. Remove and reserve short ribs.
8. Strain cooking liquid into same pot. Return liquid to stove and skim fat from top. Simmer over medium heat. Reduce to thick, saucy, consistency.
9. Return ribs to pot, glaze and serve.

I strain out the solids from the cooking liquid (onion, carrots, celery)? What to do with them? I hate wasting yummy tidbits.

Okay here's the part of the recipe I don't like:

7. Remove from oven and let cool. Remove and reserve short ribs.
8. Strain cooking liquid into same pot. Return liquid to stove and skim fat from top. Simmer over medium heat. Reduce to thick, saucy, consistency.
9. Return ribs to pot, glaze and serve.

I strain out the solids from the cooking liquid (onion, carrots, celery)? What to do with them? I hate wasting yummy tidbits.
Instead of using a thickener like flour or cornstarch I use the solids by adding these to a vitamix along with the braising liquid then strain to help thicken the sauce.

Instead of using a thickener like flour or cornstarch I use the solids by adding these to a vitamix along with the braising liquid then strain to help thicken the sauce.
I hate thickeners like flour or cornstarch! Haven't used them in years and I had made a reduction that turned out great, thanks. I served with mashed potatoes and Brussels sprouts.

JAS_OH1 , Where I come from, mostly the Pork Belly is used to make Char Siu, I can't get that here in Cowboyville.
So Those first few pics are Pork Butt and then that later are boneless Country Ribs.
I buy the pre-made marinade but I've oodles of recipes online to make your own.
What I've learned over the years is during the last maybe 5 minutes of cook time, put the tray under the broiler and baste each side with honey, it's lovely!
Yum. I've got some baby back ribs in the freezer outside, bet those would be good. I have been doing a lot of reading online, comparing recipes and ingredients, there is a lot to digest out there (pardon my pun).

Back
Top Bottom