Which butter is better?

I wish I could do that. Would I be able to tell the difference? I don't know. :scratchhead:

CD
I don't know. The truth is, when it's baked/cooked in something, probably not, and even on toast, I don't sit and think, "I'm about to eat this toast, let me prepare myself to consider the grind of the flour...the thickness of the crust...and the creaminess of the butter. Oh, is that grass-fed only I detect, or is there some grain in there as well?..." - I just butter it up and start eating. :laugh:

I don't know. The truth is, when it's baked/cooked in something, probably not, and even on toast, I don't sit and think, "I'm about to eat this toast, let me prepare myself to consider the grind of the flour...the thickness of the crust...and the creaminess of the butter. Oh, is that grass-fed only I detect, or is there some grain in there as well?..." - I just butter it up and start eating. :laugh:

I'm with you on that.

Now, my mom will NOT buy butter. Only margarine in her house. I don't know why. I made the mistake of bringing that topic up once -- only once. Not worth it. When I cook in her house, I have a small cooler I sneak into the house with things she won't allow. I tell my sister to keep mom busy while I cook. :rolleyes:

CD

we're not big salt people - not sure why... I only buy unsalted butter, typically store brand as that is the fastest mover.
our kids developed their butter taste buds on fresh bread(s) and unsalted butter in Germany - so for holidays / special events I make butter fresh from heavy cream.
with a KA and whisk, doesn't take long and there is _definitely_ a difference.

we're not big salt people - not sure why... I only buy unsalted butter, typically store brand as that is the fastest mover.
our kids developed their butter taste buds on fresh bread(s) and unsalted butter in Germany - so for holidays / special events I make butter fresh from heavy cream.
with a KA and whisk, doesn't take long and there is _definitely_ a difference.

I have thought about making some butter with my KA and wisk, and know it works. I have just never actually done it. I don't know if it would change my world, but it I'm thinking it would be fun -- and not terribly difficult.

CD

I did read in the news of late that Nigella Lawson has caused a furor by detailing that she butters her toast twice - once while the toast is still warm, to get a melty layer, and once again after it's cooled, to get a creamy layer.

If I didn't already have a couple of reasons for being enamored of Ms. Lawson, her doubled-buttered toast would definitely do it. :)

I have thought about making some butter with my KA and wisk, and know it works. I have just never actually done it. I don't know if it would change my world, but it I'm thinking it would be fun -- and not terribly difficult.

CD

Its easy. Here is how I make it (with photos):

Recipe - Home-made butter

As a by product you get buttermilk (whey)

I've always heard to use unsalted butter for baking because different manufacturers use various amounts in their products. The salt can be added in as an extra ingredient.

I use Country Crock for everything else.

Edited to add: I use Country Crock for eating (ie. on toast).

Last edited:
I wish I could do that. Would I be able to tell the difference? I don't know. :scratchhead:

CD
You'd know the difference if you were slathering it on bread. In cooking? If you have a very discerning palate you'd be able to tell the difference for sure.

I live in the same state as TastyReuben and I too love that Amish butter. We don't have a Kroger in my part of the state (NE corner near PA and NY). But Ohio is full of lush, rich grass and the beef here is awesome. There are lots of dairy farms here. The Amish beef is often mostly grass fed or sometimes grass fed with grain finish. The Amish butter in rolls is pretty darned awesome.

I'm with you on that.

Now, my mom will NOT buy butter. Only margarine in her house. I don't know why. I made the mistake of bringing that topic up once -- only once. Not worth it. When I cook in her house, I have a small cooler I sneak into the house with things she won't allow. I tell my sister to keep mom busy while I cook. :rolleyes:

CD
I detest margerine for anything other than baking banana bread. I use Imperial or Blue Bonnet for banana bread. For everything else, it must be real butter.

CD
It is easy to make, but since cream is often more expensive than butter, it doesn't make much sense.

Our butter here is about the best you can get IMHO. Sold in 500 gms blocks or the old half pound lots.
I use the plain or the spreadable as per pic. We normally have about 12x blocks of .5 of a kg. We use a lot of butter.

Russ

This is from our spare fridge in the garage, there's also about 4 blocks inside our house.

Our butter here is about the best you can get IMHO. Sold in 500 gms blocks or the old half pound lots.
I use the plain or the spreadable as per pic. We normally have about 12x blocks of .5 of a kg. We use a lot of butter.

Spreadable butter is getting popular. I bought some. It is kind of a butter hybrid, since it has canola oil in it to make it softer when cold. If I just want to spread some butter on my toast without ripping the bread apart, the spreadable butter is fine with me.

CD

Back
Top Bottom