Which butter is better?

Spreadable butter is getting popular. I bought some. It is kind of a butter hybrid, since it has canola oil in it to make it softer when cold. If I just want to spread some butter on my toast without ripping the bread apart, the spreadable butter is fine with me.

CD
Canola oil is fairly healthy as far as oils go, as long as it still tastes good it makes sense. I leave my butter out on the counter in the butter dish for a few hours before I spread it so it's soft enough to spread without ripping the bread. In Ohio we can do that. In Texas it would probably be a puddle on the counter, especially in the summer.

I keep butter in a butter crock on the counter to keep it spreadable. It has a little water in it to keep it cool enough, but in the summer, I do have to keep an eye on it.

In cooler climates you could safely leave butter in a crock or butter dish (covered) for several days. I have done that before. But, I go through phases where it might take us more than a week to use 1 stick (1/4 pound) of butter so in the frig it goes. Other times it's just a couple of days.

Canola oil is fairly healthy as far as oils go, as long as it still tastes good it makes sense. I leave my butter out on the counter in the butter dish for a few hours before I spread it so it's soft enough to spread without ripping the bread. In Ohio we can do that. In Texas it would probably be a puddle on the counter, especially in the summer.

Actually, Canola Oil has its health problems. It is high in Omega 3 Fatty Acids which turn rancid and foul at high temperatures. To deoderize, the Omega 3 Fatty Acids are converted into Trans-Fatty Acids, commercially. Get it?

When I can get it:

Otherwise:

Actually, Canola Oil has its health problems. It is high in Omega 3 Fatty Acids which turn rancid and foul at high temperatures. To deoderize, the Omega 3 Fatty Acids are converted into Trans-Fatty Acids, commercially. Get it?
Agreed. I need to find a better way to keep my butter spreadable over winter.

Agreed. I need to find a better way to keep my butter spreadable over winter.
Unless you're keeping your house fairly warm, you should be able to just leave it out on the counter, covered. When we lived there, that was a big bonus, after coming from Texas, where butter would melt between getting it out of the fridge and onto the counter. :)

Keep it up on a window sill, maybe?

Unless you're keeping your house fairly warm, you should be able to just leave it out on the counter, covered. When we lived there, that was a big bonus, after coming from Texas, where butter would melt between getting it out of the fridge and onto the counter. :)

How about taking it out of the fridge just about a half hour before intended use?

How about taking it out of the fridge just about a half hour before intended use?
Our kitchen is north facing, so the window cill wouldn't work. It is left out on the counter, but during winter our background temperature is around 17 deg C, so buttering soft bread is not an option. Have tried leaving it on a radiator, or warming it in the oven but it just melts. I need to find a technical solution involving a temperature controlled butter dish!

Our kitchen is north facing, so the window cill wouldn't work. It is left out on the counter, but during winter our background temperature is around 17 deg C, so buttering soft bread is not an option. Have tried leaving it on a radiator, or warming it in the oven but it just melts. I need to find a technical solution involving a temperature controlled butter dish!
I have in the past put the amount of butter I intended to use in a small bowl, then put it in the microwave for a few seconds. If a little melts it's fine, as it will resolidify quickly but at a spreadable temperature.

I don't use Butter as a spread. I take it out in advance when it needs to be soft for cooking.

If I want a good spread for toast, I like Cream Cheese - always soft in the fridge.

Two or three years ago I discovered Kerrygold. Love at first bite. Prior to Kerrygold I used Land-O-Lakes. I use Kerrygold for baking, sauces, lite recipes. I use Costco brand for heavier, savory dishes. I always use salted butter. I will add salt anyway to my taste so salted butter is fine for me.
I really love Kerrygold. The richness is wonderful. Happy cows.

I did the math on making your own butter from heavy cream. it costs about twice as much - per pound, as simply buying butter.
I did not include a "value" for the buttermilk by-product, but as I said earlier it really makes good pancakes and waffles.
fresh home made butter is seriously "better" according to my peanut gallery. butter easily picks up 'off flavors' - I wrap in in aluminum foil - which is a much better 'odor barrier' than any plastics.

I saved this table from a 2000 article - results of a California study:
!! - just checked, the link is still active!!
When Put to the Test, Here's How Butter Brands Stack Up

Code:
BRAND             PRICE PER POUND   FAT     MOISTURE   MILKFAT SOLIDS          

Straus Family  
 Creamery           $5.19           85.96%   12.59%     1.42%
Celles sur Belle    $9.98           83.58    15.27      1.12
Luvpak Danish       $9.98           83.2     15.35      1.42
Beurre President    $9.98           82.57    15.68      1.71
Cremerie Classique  $3.39           82.5     16.21      1.27
Plugra              $5.29           82.35    16.30      1.32
Challenge European  $6.38           82.32    16.40      1.2
Horizon Organic     $5.19           81.46    17.62       .895