Which butter is better?

The answer:

Butter Dish - Alfillé

This is a powered temperature controlled butter dish. There are several colour/patterns available - the only thing is, would you be prepared to spend that amount of money on a butter dish?
I found that too! £48 is expensive, but still cheaper than some 'designer' brand dishes. I wonder if they are still in business - the only place they seem to be available is their own website. No stock on Amazon, and none showing up on fleabay. Perhaps it would be a suitable Christmas present. I will drop some hints.

I love butter, and use a lot of it. But, I'm not obsessed with it.

I like things to come from as close to me as possible. I just can't justify buying butter that can easily take two months (maybe more) to get to my store from some other country. Not when I am perfectly happy with the butter I buy from the American Midwest.

Like Tasty, I don't know a few hours in advance that I'm going to want a slice of toast or a muffin with butter, so I need to take it out now to get soft. The spreadable butter that has some canola oil in it is okay by me.

Now, if I'm pan searing some scallops in butter, I want 100-percent butter. I use Land-O-Lakes Extra Creamy butter, which is their highest in butterfat. I'm very happy with it.

I try not to lose focus on improving my ability to make the best food with the ingredients that I have. The best butter on the planet is not going to make me a better cook.

CD

They sell them at most of the grocery stores around here - that's where I (or I should say, my wife) got mine.
You can order one from Amazon as well.

my preference is the style where the butter sits on a dish with a water seal rim, and a lid that resembles more like an ordinary 'butter dish' drops over the stick and plunks into the water seal. the world seems to have adapted the 'lid on a pot' design . . .

I preferentially buy Kate's of Maine butter. I think they now just call it Kate's. But it is butter from free ranged cattle, and to me tastes really really good.

I tried KerryGold, and I'd have that again, but it isn't entirely as great as many people say.

I mostly buy unsalted but sometimes salted.

I don't know. The truth is, when it's baked/cooked in something, probably not, and even on toast, I don't sit and think, "I'm about to eat this toast, let me prepare myself to consider the grind of the flour...the thickness of the crust...and the creaminess of the butter. Oh, is that grass-fed only I detect, or is there some grain in there as well?..." - I just butter it up and start eating. :laugh:

Understood. BUT for me I am now feeling a bit queasy if I have more than a slice of supermarket toast. I can still eat commercial English muffins without that happening. (Or maybe this is the "right" brands??)

As for butter, I'm actually good with any butter - as long as it is not margarine or "vegan butter". I just prefer to pick pastured butter sources when I have that choice. But it isn't a requirement.

Understood. BUT for me I am now feeling a bit queasy if I have more than a slice of supermarket toast. I can still eat commercial English muffins without that happening. (Or maybe this is the "right" brands??)

As for butter, I'm actually good with any butter - as long as it is not margarine or "vegan butter". I just prefer to pick pastured butter sources when I have that choice. But it isn't a requirement.
Oh I've had a few vegan butters that weren't too bad. My brother's wife and my husband's cousin both use it, so when we used to visit that's what was served. Not my preference by any means.

I don't use Butter as a spread. I take it out in advance when it needs to be soft for cooking.

If I want a good spread for toast, I like Cream Cheese - always soft in the fridge.
Mmm, no. I like cream cheese on bagels and for cooking. Would never consider using it on toast, personally. :scratchhead:

It's good on toast. I buy the "whipped" cream cheese for spreading on bagels, crackers, and sometimes toast.

CD
To each their own. Not for me, thank you. I also do not eat my bagels with just cream cheese on them. I have to have the onion, capers, salmon or bacon...I just don't like plain cream cheese and I do not like preserves or sweet spreads on my bagels. I do realize I may be in the minority. But there you go, if your butter isn't spreadable you have found the solution!

I'm really not that crazy about bagels - so when I have one I prefer a New York deli style, but just half a one. Preferably onion.

Slather it right after toasting (best warm to hot) with butter AND cream cheese, AND lox/smoked salmon with thin slices of red onion and a few capers.

I'd like bagels better but they are so dense taste-wise figure I've gotten my starch fulfillment with half of one...

PS: I like cream cheese on toast but I usually will do butter. it is also nice to have a slice or two of bacon on said toast....

I'm really not that crazy about bagels - so when I have one I prefer a New York deli style, but just half a one. Preferably onion.

Slather it right after toasting (best warm to hot) with butter AND cream cheese, AND lox/smoked salmon with thin slices of red onion and a few capers.

I'd like bagels better but they are so dense taste-wise figure I've gotten my starch fulfillment with half of one...

PS: I like cream cheese on toast but I usually will do butter. it is also nice to have a slice or two of bacon on said toast....
I would do the cream cheese with bacon on toast. If I didn't have a bagel.

I found a "cheat" recipe for bagels awhile back that takes less than 1 hour including prep time and does not involve yeast. It calls for Greek yogurt to achieve the tartness but it is much lighter than a traditional bagel and does not have that dense chew (no boiling). I don't even buy commercial bagels anymore because these are so easy to make and we like them so much better, and of course it's much cheaper and more convenient.

Edited to add: I really like the idea of both butter AND cream cheese. Probably not with bacon, as that sounds like a cardiac bagel. I do like smoked salmon but prefer the hot smoked texturally. Lox are too slimy for me.

Ours

Back
Top Bottom