Which food would you eat everyday if you had to?

I am not crazy about flounder - usually ends up bland and dry. I don't like fake crab meat (kani in Japanese sushi bars). And I have NO intention of ever trying that Japanese puffer fish (right at the moment I'm spacing the name of it) with the toxic liver that just a little bit can kill you.

I also steer clear from endangered species, on general principle.

Ah... Krab, or that fake crab made with fish. I hate it. I don't care how you prepare it, I immediately know it is NOT crab.

I have eaten American puffer fish, caught off the New Jersey coast. It was very tasty -- didn't kill anybody.

CD

We had one a few months ago: Spam

Actually, SPAM kept a lot of people fed during WWII, especially in the Pacific Theater/Hawaii.

I loved it as a kid, and as you may have noticed around the forum, I've made some pretty tasty meals out of it.

I'm not sure why the last SPAM thread died, but maybe a special "SPAM Challenge," perhaps with some recipes from WWII, would be interesting.

Sometimes we take for granted just how easy it is for us to look down our noses at foods that some of our less fortunate ancestors survived on.

We could even open it up to WWII foods in general that people survived on. That would cover a lot of countries, including the US. In a time when people think it is too big a sacrifice to wear a %&$%#* mask, this might be a good special challenge.

CD

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm for eggs too - so versatile.

Welcome to CookingBites @ XstarX - please hop over to New to CookingBites? and tell us a bit about yourself and your interests in cooking. We like to get to know new members and say hello!
Hello I will do thank you, I do love eggs, scambled and poached are my favourite I think but I love a omelette sometimes

I'm not sure why the last SPAM thread died, but maybe a special "SPAM Challenge," perhaps with some recipes from WWII, would be interesting.
I'm all for a SPAM challenge/cookalong, whatever. SPAM is underappreciated, and you're spot on about the historical connection.

I'm all for a SPAM challenge/cookalong, whatever. SPAM is underappreciated, and you're spot on about the historical connection.

I need to do some research. Maybe a special WWII foods challenge would be interesting. Not really a contest, just a challenge to find something from wartime that families lived on, that also tasted good. SPAM being just one of possibly many things people used in that time of sacrifice for the cause.

CD

Hmm - far as I'm aware the flounder is a catch all name for several types of flat salt-water fish. I'm not sure why it would end up dry - you cook it as you would cook sole and it should stay moist.

We spear flounders at night with flash lights. My mates love them, me, nah. It's quite funny at 11 at night with us all half drunk floundering. Last place we went was an hours drive from here.

Russ

Hmm - far as I'm aware the flounder is a catch all name for several types of flat salt-water fish. I'm not sure why it would end up dry - you cook it as you would cook sole and it should stay moist.

Flounder is very easy to overcook, which dries it out. My mom was an expert at that.

I came home late for dinner (often) one evening, and my mom was leaving in her car. My sister was cleaning flounder and eggplant off the kitchen wall. My sister called both the flounder and the eggplant "mush" (both true), and my mom threw it across the kitchen, and went to a movie to unwind. Dad, as usual, was out of town, or working late. He wasn't one to let family interfere with his work.

Now you know why I am a little "off." Flounder!

CD

My sister called both the flounder and the eggplant "mush" (both true), and my mom threw it across the kitchen, and went to a movie to unwind.
That seemed to be "the style" back then. Both my mom and her mom cooked everything to death. Veg, like green beans, would barely hold together when forked. Everything was about one second away from being mush.

I don't know when the crisp-tender trend started, but to this day, when my mom gets veggies out, or cooked by someone from the next generation of kids, she always says, "These are raw!"

That seemed to be "the style" back then. Both my mom and her mom cooked everything to death. Veg, like green beans, would barely hold together when forked. Everything was about one second away from being mush.

I don't know when the crisp-tender trend started, but to this day, when my mom gets veggies out, or cooked by someone from the next generation of kids, she always says, "These are raw!"

I have to give my mother some credit. She learned and adapted. She now steams vegetables to a proper tenderness. She also asks me to cook at least one meal when I come to visit. A few weeks ago, I did a pork tenderloin sous vide and seared, that was still a little pink inside, and she loved it. No problem with the little amount of pink. That would not have happened 20 years ago. But, that was pretty common back then.

CD

Back
Top Bottom