Which 'new' things do you wash before using?

I wash near everything. And i don't buy dry clean only clothes at all. Maybe a brand new coat might not get washed cause it is outerwear but a used coat would. I but most my clothes are used so for sure they get a wash...this summer i have found a lovely london fog coat at the thrift and it will be washed before the cold season in upon us. Most recently i got a rain coat from the thrift, it apperently is some brand from ireland...Jack Murphy, have any of y'all across the pond heard of it?...it has a flannel liner so i am thinking the raincoat will get washed too.

As for new things, all kinds of manner of unpleasant things can have been on the surface of your stuff from the store. I used to work for a retail store and new stock would sometimes have mold or mildew on it from getting wet on the sea trip over.

I yes hotel mattresses ick me out. If i must stay at a hotel i bring a sleeping bag just like chef ramsey does in hotel hell. I've seen what his black light revealed on the mattresses, pillows and comforter so no i am not sleeping on that.

I wash near everything. And i don't buy dry clean only clothes at all. Maybe a brand new coat might not get washed cause it is outerwear but a used coat would. I but most my clothes are used so for sure they get a wash...this summer i have found a lovely london fog coat at the thrift and it will be washed before the cold season in upon us. Most recently i got a rain coat from the thrift, it apperently is some brand from ireland...Jack Murphy, have any of y'all across the pond heard of it?...it has a flannel liner so i am thinking the raincoat will get washed too.

As for new things, all kinds of manner of unpleasant things can have been on the surface of your stuff from the store. I used to work for a retail store and new stock would sometimes have mold or mildew on it from getting wet on the sea trip over.

I yes hotel mattresses ick me out. If i must stay at a hotel i bring a sleeping bag just like chef ramsey does in hotel hell. I've seen what his black light revealed on the mattresses, pillows and comforter so no i am not sleeping on that.

I would definitely wash anything from a thrift store. I've heard they spray clothing with de- licing formula.

Years ago, I found a black patent leather raincoat. It was a pretty good buy.

Last edited:
I've never ever bought clothing from a "Thrift Store". They never fit my shape.

Wash strawberries in U-Pick fields where you eat as much as you put in the boxes? Not gonna happen.:headshake:

We have to drive by a Goodwill store to get to the closest Asian market. As we were driving by yesterday, I noticed they had a big banner hanging that said "we have mattresses." Would you buy a used mattress?

Would you buy a used mattress?

No I would not.

However, that brings us back to hotel room mattresses. I've stayed in some up market hotels but I've also stayed in dives. Does it ever cross your mind what that mattress has suffered prior to your occupancy?

No I would not.

However, that brings us back to hotel room mattresses. I've stayed in some up market hotels but I've also stayed in dives. Does it ever cross your mind what that mattress has suffered prior to your occupancy?

See my previous post about DD working in hotel industry. I don't take my own sheets like she does, but first thing i do when we go in a hotel room is unmake the bed and thoroughly inspect it to make sure the sheets are clean.

Our goodwill sells mattresses...they are brand new in bags.

I've never ever bought clothing from a "Thrift Store". They never fit my shape.

They are same clothes you find in the store and they have every brand, shape and size that is out there, they've just been preworn. Do i fit every pair of jeans that are in my size on the rack?...nope, but for $1-3 a pair i will keep looking til i find some that do fit. Lots of times i don't have to even try them on cause i kinda know what brands fit well cause i have tried on so many different brands before. I got a very nice velvet dress a couple weeks ago for $1. That don't happen at Macys.

I don't buy under clothes, socks or used shoes but all other clothing is fair game but thoroughly washed before wearing. I also don't buy upholstered furniture cause of potential bed bugs.

They are same clothes you find in the store and they have every brand, shape and size that is out there, they've just been preworn.

Maybe in the States but not here. I cannot find denims even in the new shops. I'm 1.92 m tall in a land full of midgets.

Maybe in the States but not here. I cannot find denims even in the new shops. I'm 1.92 m tall in a land full of midgets.

I am only 5'2" and most pants are too long but the length eventually walks off. Next time i'm at the thrift i'll take a photo of the rack of jeans. I can find every thing from levis to designer eventually. They have tall, regular and a few petite length. I avoid the tall and prefer the petite but will buy the regular and walk off the cuffs. Prices range from $7.99 to 99¢ depending on which thrift and what day. My wardrobe and kitchen are mostly supplied by thrifting. So what do people in your country do with unwanted clothes if not donate to the thrift store?

Back
Top Bottom