Which Quality Wine?

Here in Portugal you can find really good wine for under 3€, my American colleagues really appreciate drinking here when they come to visit. I am not picky with wine and can't judge that I only know what I personally like though.

Here in Portugal you can find really good wine for under 3€, my American colleagues really appreciate drinking here when they come to visit. I am not picky with wine and can't judge that I only know what I personally like though.
We had some very pleasant wine when we went to Lisbon a few years ago and it was remarkably cheap. It also made a nice change from the deeply uninteresting Sagres and Super Bock beer that seemed to be everywhere, although I thought the Super Bock stout was quite good.

You can get some very good wine in many parts of eastern Europe. Croatia produces some excellent stuff and when we went to Russia, we were most impressed by some of the Georgian wine. Wine from Moldova is also generally pretty good.

We had some very pleasant wine when we went to Lisbon a few years ago and it was remarkably cheap. It also made a nice change from the deeply uninteresting Sagres and Super Bock beer that seemed to be everywhere, although I thought the Super Bock stout was quite good.

You can get some very good wine in many parts of eastern Europe. Croatia produces some excellent stuff and when we went to Russia, we were most impressed by some of the Georgian wine. Wine from Moldova is also generally pretty good.
Funny you mention Sagres and Super Bock. It is one of the biggest divides in my country, that some people prefer Sagres and others prefer Super Bock, refusing to drink the other one. Me, I enjoy both and can't tell them apart, but I enjoy almost any beer to be honest 😄

I've heard about Eastern Europe wines being good but I've personally never tried them. I've also heard about some Eastern Europe winemakers mixing wine with other liquids to increase the quantity, as told by some Romanian girls I've met while traveling, but I don't know if this is a widespread practice or not.

As a side note, I've always wanted to travel to South Africa and I've heard their wines are really good too.

Did you try the "champagne" ? I got very very drunk in Moscow.

Did you try the "champagne" ? I got very very drunk in Moscow.
We tried a couple of Georgian wines in Moscow and when we went to St Petersburg, we found a craft beer pub that was pretty good. One thing I found odd was that beer in bars was quite expensive, but bottled beer in shops was dirt cheap.

We've tried wine in various parts of the world. We had some very good Tunisian wine in...Tunisia. I've never been to Lebanon, but that country produces some excellent wine, too. I've tasted a couple of Ethiopian wines as well, though I didn't find them particularly nice. All of these countries have produced wine for a very long time. Ethiopia also has quite a few breweries and some of the beer is very decent. I spent an evening trekking around Addis Ababa on a search for Hakim Stout, a beer I wanted to try. I eventually tracked it down in a hotel bar and sated both my thirst and curiosity. I thought it more like a brown ale than a stout, but nonetheless a pleasant ale.

We've just been for our weekly shop at the local Co-op. We had a voucher for two pounds off if you spent twenty quid. It was my turn to do the rounds and I totted up the prices as I went through. I'd just about finished what was needed at fifteen pounds, so the sight of some bottles of Pinot Grigio from Puglia for a fiver (down from seven) made me think, "Aha! In effect, a bottle of wine for three quid."

I may be rubbish at maths, but I can do arithmetic.

I’ve bought this Rosè wine drinking a glass during lunch today. It’s a good wine, gently sparkling and I had it only for € 2,50.

There is no one answer to this question since the quality of wine varies greatly depending on a variety of factors, including the region in which it was made, the type of grape used, and how it was handled during fermentation.

Which is not the same as my beer consumption.
Our alcohol consumption is almost regimented these days - a cocktail Friday evening, we split a single beer Saturday, and some kind of wine/champagne brunch drink on Sunday. That’s it.

She’s expressed interest in kicking that split beer up to a whole, entire, complete beer for each of us on Saturdays…we’ll see how that goes. :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom