Which sauce with fries?

Windigo

Kitchen witch
Local time
10:11 PM
Website
www.instagram.com
Because my remark about mayo being served with my fries yesterday caused an interesting discussion, I thought I'd make a thread about what each nationality here prefers to eat with their fries. It would be interesting to see which condiment is the most popular.

In the Netherlands and Belgium, fries are most popular served with mayo. The Dutch mayo is a little sweeter than the Belgian variety. Personally I prefer Belgian mayo.
Our habit of putting mayo on fries even got mentioned in this famous scene of the movie Pulp Fiction; (from 1.25 on)

Other popular kinds of toppings for fries here are:

Beef stew.

Spicy peanut sauce (a Dutch Indonesian vice)

Fries 'speciaal' (mayo, curry, and onions)

Other national favorites are garlic sauce, andalouse sauce (spicy mayo), tartar sauce, curry or ketchup or joppie-saus (onion curry mayo).

Let's see what you all have in store for your fries!

I just mentioned in the other post that in addition to the ever-popular ketchup, a local tradition here is to dip them in tartar sauce.

At home, it just depends. The wife uses sour cream more than anything else. I like (in no particular order) ketchup, mayo, chili sauce, sour cream, burger sauce, tartar sauce, hot sauce, vinegar, and mixes like ketchup-mayo, mustard-mayo, honey-mustard, etc.

I didn't know Aussies added vinegar to their chips too, I thought it was a uniquely British thing. Here salt is the norm.
I'm not Australia, I'm a Brit living in Australia in the process of taking out dual nationality. Only been here for 3½ years .

My location also says 'A Pom in NSW, Aus'. A 'Pom' is the local lingo for a British in Australia... NSW is New South Wales.

Can you see signatures or do you have them turned off? I ask because my signature explains...

I just remembered that I do use store bought tomato sauce when,.............
We have fish n chips which I'm having tonight. Mr 7 first day back at school now he plays touch rugby so she's picking them up on the way home. And as someone mentioned if I pick up a burger and fries on the way home from pub, the chips are krinkle cut and I love them dipped in butter as well. My wife thinks it's disgusting.

Russ

I eat mine plain with just salt now, but used to dip them in a chocolate milkshake as a teen.
I always used to be horrified by this combination - and to this day, I've never tried it - but this is an early adopter of the salty-sweet combo that's so popular today. I now want to try this. Any preferences? I'd guess that chocolate would be good.

I used to be a strictly tomato ketchup (Heinz, to be exact...no other brand ever tasted right to me). I then tried BBQ sauce...really, just a spicier ketchup. The first day I had an aioli, it changed my relationship with potatoes forever. An aioli has the same consistency, and it can be anything you want to mix with the mayo. I love that.

I have had fries plain, and it can be great (I'm looking at you, Rally fries!). Not my first choice, but not bad if it's a good fry.

Back
Top Bottom