Which sauce with fries?

I used to be a strictly tomato ketchup (Heinz, to be exact...no other brand ever tasted right to me). I then tried BBQ sauce...really, just a spicier ketchup. The first day I had an aioli, it changed my relationship with potatoes forever. An aioli has the same consistency, and it can be anything you want to mix with the mayo. I love that.

I have had fries plain, and it can be great (I'm looking at you, Rally fries!). Not my first choice, but not bad if it's a good fry.

It's nice with aioli I agree it's a gorgeous condiment

I used to be a strictly tomato ketchup (Heinz, to be exact...no other brand ever tasted right to me). I then tried BBQ sauce...really, just a spicier ketchup. The first day I had an aioli, it changed my relationship with potatoes forever. An aioli has the same consistency, and it can be anything you want to mix with the mayo. I love that.

I have had fries plain, and it can be great (I'm looking at you, Rally fries!). Not my first choice, but not bad if it's a good fry.
I don't like bbq sauce that much, but chili sauce is excellent (also Heinz). McD's fries (for me) should never have anything for dipping - they're perfect with no sauce (when they're done right).

Fries/chips are the only thing I eat with ketchup. I love Whataburger brand of ketchup, which you can buy in stores in Texas.

When I have fish-n-chips, I sprinkle my chips with malt vinegar and dip in tartar sauce.

I like Ranch Dressing with Snuffer's "loaded" Cheddar Fries (heart attack in a bowl).

SnuffersFries.jpg

photo from Snuffer"s -- not mine

CD

What kind of butter, melted? Is it salted butter?

Just soft butter, it's summer here so it's soft in the pantry 24/7

Russ

Fries/chips are the only thing I eat with ketchup. I love Whataburger brand of ketchup, which you can buy in stores in Texas.

When I have fish-n-chips, I sprinkle my chips with malt vinegar and dip in tartar sauce.

I like Ranch Dressing with Snuffer's "loaded" Cheddar Fries (heart attack in a bowl).

View attachment 37341
photo from Snuffer"s -- not mine

CD

Looks gorgeous, I should try doing that at home some time.

As I see a few of you post that you like your chips plain too, what is it you like about plain chips/fries?

I personally really need some sauce to enjoy my fries, I would only eat crisps/potato chips without sauce if they are spiced in some way like prawn cocktail flavor.

I never put gravy on chips - that's a "West of the Pennines" thing. Gravy is for mashed potatoes, roast potatoes and meat. I also wouldn't think of pouring Chinese yellow curry sauce (or any other curry sauce) over chips which appears to have become a habit in England over recent years. If I'm having chips with fish or seafood with goodbye sauce, I may dip them in that.

However I do occasionally prepare a dish which I call "egg, beans and chips" which includes "unfried" chips in curry sauce.

eggnchips[1].jpg

As I see a few of you post that you like your chips plain too, what is it you like about plain chips/fries?

I personally really need some sauce to enjoy my fries, I would only eat crisps/potato chips without sauce if they are spiced in some way like prawn cocktail flavor.

The salt, they have to be well-seasoned. When we go out, I nearly always add salt to my fries (even if they are already salted as it never seems to be enough).

The only fries I like without sauce are the ones from McDonald's - and I think it's partly because they're skinny, partly because they're well-salted (if they're doing them properly), and partly the cooking method.

Taste Of Home had an article about it, and from what I remember, the addiction factor with McD's fries comes down to their lab-tested combination of salt, sugar, and their special frying oil, which is vegetable oil that's chemically altered to mimic beef fat.

Whatever it is, I'd probably push my mom, my wife, and maybe even my dog into oncoming traffic to get properly-prepared McD's fries.

The only fries I like without sauce are the ones from McDonald's - and I think it's partly because they're skinny, partly because they're well-salted (if they're doing them properly), and partly the cooking method.

Taste Of Home had an article about it, and from what I remember, the addiction factor with McD's fries comes down to their lab-tested combination of salt, sugar, and their special frying oil, which is vegetable oil that's chemically altered to mimic beef fat.

Whatever it is, I'd probably push my mom, my wife, and maybe even my dog into oncoming traffic to get properly-prepared McD's fries.

Interesting because I actually only eat Mcdonalds fries because of the special fry sauce you only get with them in the Netherlands.

I shall try them without some day and report back to you.

Back
Top Bottom