Which sauce with fries?

The only fries I like without sauce are the ones from McDonald's - and I think it's partly because they're skinny, partly because they're well-salted (if they're doing them properly), and partly the cooking method.

Taste Of Home had an article about it, and from what I remember, the addiction factor with McD's fries comes down to their lab-tested combination of salt, sugar, and their special frying oil, which is vegetable oil that's chemically altered to mimic beef fat.

Whatever it is, I'd probably push my mom, my wife, and maybe even my dog into oncoming traffic to get properly-prepared McD's fries.

I'd like to be your dog,lol.

Russ

Interesting because I actually only eat Mcdonalds fries because of the special fry sauce you only get with them in the Netherlands.

I shall try them without some day and report back to you.

The fries in the MacDonald's UK are not the same as in the US and Canada - which have additional additives (including I read somewhere, beef extract). Not sure about Netherlands but I suspect they are the same as UK.

In British restaurants, the fries do not contain the beef flavouring and are also milk free. McDonald’s confirmed the natural beef flavouring is not present in British chips after being approached by the Sun Online.

The fries in the MacDonald's UK are not the same as in the US and Canada - which have additional additives (including I read somewhere, beef extract). Not sure about Netherlands but I suspect they are the same as UK.

Yeah I read this somewhere too, but I never tried them without sauce so I will anyway.

This is the Dutch mcdonalds sauce:

It tastes very similar to Bearnaise, but it's not entirely the same. I love it, it's the main reason I fancy a Mcdonalds once in a while.

McD's fries in the US have beef extract in them too. That was added a long time ago when they went from frying their potatoes in beef fat to using vegetable oil. The beef extract is supposed to imitate the flavor of frying in beef fat.

CD

McD's fries in the US have beef extract in them too. That was added a long time ago when they went from frying their potatoes in beef fat to using vegetable oil. The beef extract is supposed to imitate the flavor of frying in beef fat.

Yeah - that is what I meant, The UK ones don't have beef extract.

Are not McDonald's foods supposed to be cooked the same the world over?
No - they tailor the menu, the ingredients and the way its cooked according to what they perceive as the tastes of that country. For example, in the UK all the beef is UK or Irish:

From time to time we hear some funny stories about how we make our burgers. But the truth is really very simple. Here at McDonald’s UK we use whole cuts of 100% beef from the forequarter and flank with just a pinch of salt and pepper added after cooking. From farm to restaurant counter nothing else is added. We're proud of the more than 16,000 British and Irish farmers who supply the beef on our UK menu and we think you'd approve of them too. They look after their animals and are all approved by a nationally recognised farm assurance scheme, such as Red Tractor.

Regarding MacDonald's Chips in the UK:

Pentland Dell, Russet Burbank, Innovator, Shepody and Ivory Russet are potatoes are all found in supermarkets… and at McDonald’s. We chose these potatoes because we know they help make our world-famous crispy fries. And as they’re bigger spuds, it means the fries we cut from them are long enough for you to nibble and dip. We simply wash, peel, cut and prepare the potatoes before cooking. Then we cook them in a blend of sunflower and rapeseed oil, adding a pinch of salt before serving. It really is that simple.

Hot chips need to be well salted. My favourite sauce is a mix of mayo & tomato sauce, but I also love them smothered in gravy.

McD fries in Aus are just salted & cooked in a veg & canola oil blend.

Cubans make a really crispy "potato stick" which they love to put on their burgers. The burgers have a sauce added to them while cooking on a flat top which gets onto the sticks and is really tasty. These burgers are the only ones that I like "fries" on.

I typically only eat fries with salt. In fact, potatoes (unless they are Yukons) are the only thing I ever over-assault - er over-salt. Okay, I do like them with malt vinegar, the British way.

NO mayo. NO ketchup.

Some day I'll try them poutine style, with cheese, but no big rush.

I do not like McDonalds' fries. They are so skinny they're either over or under cooked, and they get cold super fast - and are best in the compost. I like steak fries. With salt. And/or malt vinegar, the latter applied at the last moment.

Last edited:
I watch Dad's Army almost every day! :laugh:
If I'm not mistaken, that particular episode has one of the all-time funniest double entendres, when the German sailor threatens to drop a grenade down Jonesy's trousers, he assures Capt Mainwaring not to be alarmed:

"They can put 20 bombs down my trousers, but they will not make me crack!"
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ahhh...Fries / Chips. Here in the US with all the fast food places, we are practically addicted to fries. As kids, our first sauce inevitably is ketchup. That is what most of us start with. Then we expand our horizons with many of the sauces listed in the previous posts. To settle upon our favorite is a difficult choice. For me, the sauce of choice is "...whatever I am in the mood for." (I know, I know, pretty generic answer)

If I were forced to choose just one, it would be malt vinegar for two reasons. First, vinegar delivers such a unique flavor. Second, vinegar does not add a lot of "unhealthy" to the mix.

On the other hand, a big plate of Chili Cheese Fries is always an option! :D

Last edited:
Ahhh...Fries / Chips. Here in the US with all the fast food places, we are practically addicted to fries. As kids, our first sauce inevitably is ketchup. That is what most of us start with. Then we expand our horizons with many of the sauces listed in the previous posts. To settle upon our favorite is a difficult choice. For me, the sauce of choice is "...whatever I am in the mood for." (I know, I know, pretty generic answer)

If I were forced to choose just one, it would be malt vinegar for two reasons. First, vinegar delivers such a unique flavor. Second, vinegar does not add a lot of "unhealthy" to the mix.

On the other hand, a big plate of Chili Cheese Fries is always an option! :D

The little pub up the road does "loaded fries," and it's a plate of fries, chili, cheese, onions, peppers, sour cream, and bacon, and by the time they're done, it must weigh four pounds.

You have those, you know your ass isn't getting off the couch for the rest of the night!

Back
Top Bottom