Who has a simple, easy hamburger bun recipe?

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
10:10 PM
I would like to make some sandwich/hamburger buns from scratch. Okay, I have seen multiple recipes online and some of them are quite involved. I don't want a recipe that involves a lot of time and complexity, just a simple tried and true easy recipe (if you know of one). I am not much of a baker, but I do have yeast, flour, etc. on hand in my pantry. Post some recipes, please!

Ok, ya got me, I gunna try ONE more time. Tomorrow or Tuesday. Oh wait school,holidays here, wife's home. Maybe later in the week??

I'll post TastyReuben

Russ

Russ, is it okay if I live vicariously through you? This recipe looks simple but I am TERRIFIED of yeast. I cannot wait to hear how it turns out for you. Good luck!

Lepinje the classic Balkans bun for burgers, cevap, kebab etc
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGXNb6HtfIA&ab_channel=Doma%C4%87iRecepti
1601189830303.png

This recipe looks simple but I am TERRIFIED of yeast.
Watch the vid above mate, you can sub dried yeast for fresh. The biggest problem in making bread is using the right flour. Even with the right flour the water absorption varies a lot. So use the recipe as a guide as the lady does in the vid. If I can do it so can you.

Russ, is it okay if I live vicariously through you? This recipe looks simple but I am TERRIFIED of yeast. I cannot wait to hear how it turns out for you. Good luck!

Its strange really how many people say they are afraid of yeast yet happily make cakes, pastry etc. IMHO bread is much easier to make than pastry, cakes etc.

Watch the vid above mate, you can sub dried yeast for fresh. The biggest problem in making bread is using the right flour. Even with the right flour the water absorption varies a lot. So use the recipe as a guide as the lady does in the vid. If I can do it so can you.
Its strange really how many people say they are afraid of yeast yet happily make cakes, pastry etc. IMHO bread is much easier to make than pastry, cakes etc.

I am afraid of all yeast. I was making a batch of root beer and somehow messed it up. That night, we heard what sounded like a car backfiring several times. All the bottles exploded in succession. I know it was my fault but I haven't touched the stuff since.

Edited to add: I watched the video and she does make it look easy. Maybe I'll try again. Get back on the horse, right? ;-0

Last edited:
Not fault mate, your mistake. The first time I made cider the same thing happened. Watch the vid a few times and then give it a go. Very soon you will be doing it with your eyes closed the bread not the bike.

You've convinced me to try again. ;-0

Can someone help me figure out the quantity of yeast to use if I buy the packets? It looks like I should use one packet which is 0.75 ounces.

How to measure 7g yeast and 10g salt without a proper scale?

Also, I have always heard that you have to use warm water with yeast. The video didn't specify this. How is it typically done?

I can't stress enough how easy bread is. Cave-dwellers probably made bread. It's that simple. The no-knead bread I made last week...four ingredients (flour, water, salt, yeast).

I couldn't live not making bread occasionally. It's therapy. It really is. If you knew me IRL, you'd know I don't really like things that are difficult, and I make bread. Culinarily, I'm also dumb as a post, and I make bread.

I'm like MoGlo, I don't get the fear. My brother recently asked me how to make bread, and I demo'd a very simple recipe (five ingredients, because it included oil), and it was just proofing the yeast, mixing the dry ingredients together, then adding the yeast, kneading, rising, shaping, and baking...and he freaked out. This is a guy who makes his own rubs and sauces for meats, uses a smoker and and outdoor charcoal grill, which takes a lot more finesse than bread ever will, and he absolutely refused to do it and buys frozen loaves.

My advice to first-time bread makers: either make a pizza dough or a no-knead bread, or a focaccia. Start easy. Even the most complex breads I make aren't complex. At their core...flour, water, yeast, and salt, and depending on the bread, other stuff may get added (milk, eggs, mix-ins like olives, herbs, or cheese).

The burger buns...I put off making my own buns for years because the only person I knew who made buns was a serious baker (she bought flour by the 50-lb bag for just her and her husband), and she told me you had to have a special pan and do this and that, that burger buns weren't just reshaped bread, etc.

Well, maybe if you're a professional baker that's true, but after a few years, I started looking around and found easy-to-make burger buns (and beat buns, and hot dog buns) and now I make my own, no special equipment or complicated recipe required.

You've convinced me to try again. ;-0

Can someone help me figure out the quantity of yeast to use if I buy the packets? It looks like I should use one packet which is 0.75 ounces.

How to measure 7g yeast and 10g salt without a proper scale?

Also, I have always heard that you have to use warm water with yeast. The video didn't specify this. How is it typically done?
I haven't looked at the video, but to measure yeast, those little foil packets contain 2-1/4 tsp of yeast, so you can buy it loose in a jar and measure it or in the packets.

Yeast and water: there are different kinds of yeast (and some share similar names, which can cause confusion), but if you're sticking to the dry stuff, you'll likely be using either active dry yeast or instant (rapid rise) yeast.

Active dry yeast usually needs to be proofed first, in warm water. Different recipes will call for different amounts, but it'll usually be a packet (or 2-1/4 tsp) yeast, some water that's around 115F (there's a range, too cold and the yeast won't wake up, too hot and you'll kill it), and a little sugar. Recipes will specify the amount.

You'll mix the yeast, the water, and the sugar in a little bowl and let it sit 5-10 minutes. If it bubbles a bit and gets a little foamy, you're in business. You just proved the yeast is good.

Instant dry yeast doesn't usually need proofing, it just goes right in the flour with the other ingredients (I tend to not dump my salt directly on top of it) and the liquid ingredients get dumped in, all mixed up, and away you go. Instant dry yeast is used a lot in no-knead breads, because those sit overnight, and pizza doughs that sit overnight.

Find a simple, simple recipe and start with that. If you look in the Today's Bread topic, you'll see a no-knead sandwich bread I just posted. Dead easy, and here's the recipe:

No-Knead Sandwich Bread Recipe on Food52

It won't make the best bread ever, but it's a good low-effort, nearly-foolproof method to get you started and get your confidence up.

Back
Top Bottom