Who has a simple, easy hamburger bun recipe?

I haven't looked at the video
You need to look at the vid mate. No kneading is needed, just a few seconds of combing the ingredients. The key is a very soft dough. This method was brought here by the Ottomans in the 1500s. If you watch the subtitles the Turkish word Somun is used.

Can someone help me figure out the quantity of yeast to use if I buy the packets? It looks like I should use one packet which is 0.75 ounces.

How to measure 7g yeast and 10g salt without a proper scale?

I weighed, then measured the yeast and salt in Morning Glory 's Fluffy bread rolls thread. 7 grams of yeast was 2 tsp. 9 grams of salt was 1-1/2 tsp, so you'd need to add a bit more for 10 grams. Salt is apparently denser/heavier than yeast as i noted in the thread. We've used this recipe for slider buns, though I did add some fat back that she removed.

There's a very nice bun recipe in the Burgermeister book we have that I've made several times. I'll type it up when I'm on the computer versus the tablet I'm on now

Last edited:
Can someone help me figure out the quantity of yeast to use if I buy the packets? It looks like I should use one packet which is 0.75 ounces.

In the UK dried yeast is sold in 7g sachets/ packets. That is the right quantity for 450g - 500g of flour. 7 grams = approx. .25 ounces.

TastyReuben, thanks for your post. I lived in a different state for 7 years and couldn't get authentic Chicago style deep dish pizza so I learned to make it at home. I ALWAYS made a no yeast dough just because of my anxiety about yeast.

However, I believe one is never too old to learn so I'll give it a try. Crossing my fingers and toes! ;-)

-------------
TastyReuben, thanks again for taking the time to explain. I think I understand how to activate it correctly. I need to buy a thermometer as I only have ones for meats/poultry and candy making.

I am considering getting the 3 pack of Fleishmann's Active Yeast but that will be after I try the no-knead recipe you advise. I'm not afraid of the kneading, just the use of yeast. I definitely have to get my confidence up there.

--------------

@MedTran, thanks for your input. I can't find my kitchen scale, so that makes it much easier.

P.S. I checked out your link and those sliders look delicious!

---------------

@MorningGlory, thanks for your input and link. I used to date a guy that owned a Domino's Pizza. The commissary sent the dough already sized so we just had to do a quick knead and shape. I used to make no yeast pizza dough, divide it up and let the kids make individual pizzas. We loved it. Well, I didn't really *love* the part where they opened two bags of flour and "made it snow" in the house, but I got over it. If you can't make it "snow" in the house as a kid, when can you do it? ;-)

---------------

OK, everybody, you've convinced me to try. I've got the yeast on my next grocery list!

P.S. JAS_OH1, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. Sorry.

TastyReuben, thanks for your post. I lived in a different state for 7 years and couldn't get authentic Chicago style deep dish pizza so I learned to make it at home. I ALWAYS made a no yeast dough just because of my anxiety about yeast.

However, I believe one is never too old to learn so I'll give it a try. Crossing my fingers and toes! ;-)

-------------
TastyReuben, thanks again for taking the time to explain. I think I understand how to activate it correctly. I need to buy a thermometer as I only have ones for meats/poultry and candy making.

I am considering getting the 3 pack of Fleishmann's Active Yeast but that will be after I try the no-knead recipe you advise. I'm not afraid of the kneading, just the use of yeast. I definitely have to get my confidence up there.

--------------

@MedTran, thanks for your input. I can't find my kitchen scale, so that makes it much easier.

P.S. I checked out your link and those sliders look delicious!

---------------

@MorningGlory, thanks for your input and link. I used to date a guy that owned a Domino's Pizza. The commissary sent the dough already sized so we just had to do a quick knead and shape. I used to make no yeast pizza dough, divide it up and let the kids make individual pizzas. We loved it. Well, I didn't really *love* the part where they opened two bags of flour and "made it snow" in the house, but I got over it. If you can't make it "snow" in the house as a kid, when can you do it? ;-)

---------------

OK, everybody, you've convinced me to try. I've got the yeast on my next grocery list!

P.S. JAS_OH1, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. Sorry.
Glad you were inspired! I am inspired as well. I'm not afraid of yeast, I'm just a lazy baker. :p:

@TastyReuben, thanks again for taking the time to explain. I think I understand how to activate it correctly. I need to buy a thermometer as I only have ones for meats/poultry and candy making.
You can get a cheap digital thermometer at Meijer/Walmart/Kroger.

With the water, you're usually looking for around 115F. Run your tap until it gets hot as it gets, then put some in a cup and take the temp. If it's over 120F, let it sit, taking the temp every couple of minutes until it gets around 115F, and if it's not that hot at first, stick it in the microwave for 10 seconds at a time, taking the temp until it gets around 115F.

That way, you'll always know what it takes to get your water to 115F - either straight from the tap, or from the tap and heated for X seconds, or from the tap and sat on the counter for X minutes.

TastyReuben if I want to cut the recipe in half (it makes a dozen buns), do you think I will be okay using the whole egg in the recipe or should I whisk it and only use half of it? Also trying to think of a conversion for 1/6 cup of vegetable oil into tbsps since my measuring cup doesn't have a 1/6th measurement (I guess I could eyeball half of the 1/3rd mark)...and did you really use 1/4 cup of sugar? Seems like a lot of sugar. Thanks again!

TastyReuben if I want to cut the recipe in half (it makes a dozen buns), do you think I will be okay using the whole egg in the recipe or should I whisk it and only use half of it? Also trying to think of a conversion for 1/6 cup of vegetable oil into tbsps since my measuring cup doesn't have a 1/6th measurement (I guess I could eyeball half of the 1/3rd mark)...and did you really use 1/4 cup of sugar? Seems like a lot of sugar. Thanks again!
If I were making a half-batch, I'd whisk the egg first and add half of it. You can add the whole egg, it shouldn't really hurt anything, it'll just be eggier. If you really hate the idea of wasting half an egg, add a little water to the remaining half and egg-wash the buns before baking them. :)

1/3rd cup of oil is 5-1/3 TBsps (I have a measuring cup with that marked on it). That's 2-1/2 TBsp for 1/6th cup, plus a drop or two more. It's oil, it'll help with the texture and browning a bit, so if you're a little under or over 2-1/2 TBsp, you won't hurt anything. I don't even measure oil like that. I just eyeball it.

Yes, I did use 1/4 cup of sugar. You could experiment a little and use maybe two or three tablespoons of honey (which is sweeter than sugar) and it should be fine. Or just cut the sugar by a tablespoon. Baking is a science, yes, but bread is incredibly forgiving. Cakes...not so much. 😒

That sugar amount is for a full batch. :)

I made a whole batch and when I got them divided and shaped, I wrapped half in plastic wrap and froze them. They thawed and baked up beautifully. Those ones I posted above were frozen and thawed.

Good luck, and please let me know how they come out!

If I were making a half-batch, I'd whisk the egg first and add half of it. You can add the whole egg, it shouldn't really hurt anything, it'll just be eggier. If you really hate the idea of wasting half an egg, add a little water to the remaining half and egg-wash the buns before baking them. :)

1/3rd cup of oil is 5-1/3 TBsps (I have a measuring cup with that marked on it). That's 2-1/2 TBsp for 1/6th cup, plus a drop or two more. It's oil, it'll help with the texture and browning a bit, so if you're a little under or over 2-1/2 TBsp, you won't hurt anything. I don't even measure oil like that. I just eyeball it.

Yes, I did use 1/4 cup of sugar. You could experiment a little and use maybe two or three tablespoons of honey (which is sweeter than sugar) and it should be fine. Or just cut the sugar by a tablespoon. Baking is a science, yes, but bread is incredibly forgiving. Cakes...not so much. 😒

That sugar amount is for a full batch. :)

I made a whole batch and when I got them divided and shaped, I wrapped half in plastic wrap and froze them. They thawed and baked up beautifully. Those ones I posted above were frozen and thawed.

Good luck, and please let me know how they come out!
Thanks! I am not making them today, probably Tuesday but not sure yet.

Yes, I realized that 1/4 cup of sugar is for a full batch and that if I am cutting the other ingredients in half I will cut the sugar in half too, LOL! My measuring cup has a 1/8 mark so that's not a problem. I was just wondering if you thought the buns were too sweet with 1/4 cup in the full batch.

I will probably still only make a half batch as we don't have burgers or sandwiches very often. Good to know that I can freeze them, and if I had more freezer space right now, I probably would make a full batch. But no, my chest freezer and the inside kitchen freezer are both very full ATM.

Thanks for transposing the measurement of the oil into tbsp. I will be sure to post photos of the buns when I make them.

I was just wondering if you thought the buns were too sweet with 1/4 cup in the full batch.
They didn't taste sweet to me at all, like they didn't taste like a sweet roll. Just like a regular old hamburger bun.

Then again, I do have a fairly high sugar tolerance. I've been known to sneak a spoonful of sugar while baking with it... :whistling:

That was pretty easy. I didn't let mine get very dark in color, we are going to toast them before we build our burgers. I shared one with a squirrel. She approved. I buttered my half. It reminded me of one of those yeast rolls that they serve in steakhouses.

It's odd, they look like American style biscuits, but they taste nothing like them and the texture is vastly different. I can tell they will hold up well under all the toppings. I chose to use that pan with individual sections so that the buns would not be too flat. There's going to be a lot going on with this burger in the way of toppings!

Back
Top Bottom