Who is Weathering the Big Storm?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
8:22 AM
A big nor'easter is presently pounding the Eastern Seaboard with blizzard-like conditions from Virginia to Maine!! Are y'all staying in & safe? The Weather Advisory warns against going outside today. You're better off, unless yo really have to go out to the store. Stay inside, be safe & keep the kids safe & warm!! Thank you. :whistling:

Hope you're doing ok! We've been following the storm off and on today, and it sounds like Philly and Boston are really getting it.

We're planning on moving to PA in the next few years, so we do keep track of the weather there, checking it most every day.

Hope you're doing ok! We've been following the storm off and on today, and it sounds like Philly and Boston are really getting it.

We're planning on moving to PA in the next few years, so we do keep track of the weather there, checking it most every day.

Yeah, seems even New York City is getting less than we are!! How is that possible? Did they get special favors from God, or what?!! Hah!!

You are wise to check the affects of climate change if you are retiring somewhere. I'm lucky where I am as its probably not going to be a big issue in my lifetime. It gets a bit wetter and warmer - but since it virtually never gets really hot here anyway, I'm happy with that.

You are wise to check the affects of climate change if you are retiring somewhere. I'm lucky where I am as its probably not going to be a big issue in my lifetime. It gets a bit wetter and warmer - but since it virtually never gets really hot here anyway, I'm happy with that.

That part of the US has been getting these Nor'easters forever, so in this particular storm, it's hard to make a direct connection to global warming/climate change.

Now, if enough Greenland ice melts, it could effect the Gulf Stream current, which would make the UK a much different place. That's what keeps Winters mild over there.

CD

A big nor'easter is presently pounding the Eastern Seaboard with blizzard-like conditions from Virginia to Maine!! Are y'all staying in & safe? The Weather Advisory warns against going outside today. You're better off, unless yo really have to go out to the store. Stay inside, be safe & keep the kids safe & warm!! Thank you. :whistling:

I've been watching, too. News video shows snow falling almost sideways. Good day to stay home and make a big pot of chicken-noodle soup.

CD

Good! Were you in full electricity and water supply throughout the blizzard?
Take care!

I most certainly was ! I reside in an elderly/ ADA housing development, which means that all the cables & water pipes are underground, so, no trees on the streets to fall over & knock out power, cable TV or water!! All the apts are all-electric, no gas at all. Even the dryers are electric (I have my own compact washer & dryer). :whistling:

GadgetGuy & Mountain Cat - how much snow did you end up with? I see some place in MA reporting 30 inches.

I told my wife, as long as the heat and electric are on and we've got food and meds for 10 days or so, I'd be just fine with a snowfall like that every few years.

I most certainly was ! I reside in an elderly/ ADA housing development, which means that all the cables & water pipes are underground, so, no trees on the streets to fall over & knock out power, cable TV or water!! All the apts are all-electric, no gas at all. Even the dryers are electric (I have my own compact washer & dryer). :whistling:

Last February, when the Big Freeze hit, we had rolling blackouts. My power was on 30 minutes, off 30 minutes, repeat. I have a friend who didn't lose power for one minute. She lives right behind a Fire Station, and was on the same section of power grid.

CD

Hey Tasty, it's a good thing you were not on the Ohio Turnpike today. :eek:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ETfOJyrtKc

I had a sand truck do something similar to a very expensive SUV I owned about 25 years ago. There were rocks in the sand he was spreading, and a big one shattered my windshield.

CD
Yeah, you live in the north, that's going to happen sooner or later. It's happened to me before.

When I was a little kid, I'd gone out to play around in the snow along the road (rural), and a snowplow came by and the thrown snow knocked me down.

I told my folks, and all my dad said was, "Now you know not to do that again, Egghead." :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom