Who is Weathering the Big Storm?

Hubby is out shoveling the driveway...again.

I don't shovel. I Audi.

The last big snow we got was 2010. Not a lot by Northern standards, but big for us.

_DSC0822.jpg

Who needs a snow plow...

_DSC0774.jpg

Texican snowman...

_DSC0833.jpg

My reward for going out early in the morning...

_DSC08394V.jpg

CD

Your Audi would never plough through our snow up here. We have some mounds the are a few feet higher than my head. Now granted, I'm only 5'1", but still...

My last Audi, the allroad in the picture above, was good for about two feet of snow, maybe a little more if it was fresh snow.. It was also a high-tech money pit. But, it was an amazing vehicle. The photo above shows it at level two. I could raise it with a push of a button another three inches. That is part of what made it a money pit. It had so much leading edge technology in it, and when that stuff breaks, get your checkbook ready. I loved that car, but it was killing me financially. But, it was 8 years old when I sold it, and I got 16-grand for it -- there was a bidding war for it. It was a rare car in the US.

CD

My last Audi, the allroad in the picture above, was good for about two feet of snow, maybe a little more if it was fresh snow.. It was also a high-tech money pit. But, it was an amazing vehicle. The photo above shows it at level two. I could raise it with a push of a button another three inches. That is part of what made it a money pit. It had so much leading edge technology in it, and when that stuff breaks, get your checkbook ready. I loved that car, but it was killing me financially. But, it was 8 years old when I sold it, and I got 16-grand for it -- there was a bidding war for it. It was a rare car in the US.

CD
I bet it was something else! I'd be scared to drive it in our snow. Down there you get some light snow occasionally and it warms up and melts. We get deep snow banks. The snow settles, then turns to ice and it takes a truck and a plow to move it. Until mid March, anyway. We should get a good melt by then.

I bet it was something else! I'd be scared to drive it in our snow. Down there you get some light snow occasionally and it warms up and melts. We get deep snow banks. The snow settles, then turns to ice and it takes a truck and a plow to move it. Until mid March, anyway. We should get a good melt by then.

Obviously, you have to look the situation and make a wise decision when doing any kind of unusual driving. When I worked for car magazines, Land Rover Flew me first class to their off road training school. I learned a lot from that. I drove through close to three feet of mud and water in that training.

I spent a weekend on Boliver peninsula camping on the beach with that allroad quattro, and pulled about a dozen cars out of the deep sand. Jeep owners were coming up to me and asking about that car.

But, like I said, that capability wasn't cheap, and I had to sell the car.

My current Audi Q5 is about 80-percent of what the allroad quattro was. Driving it in the snow and ice today was like driving it in light rain. Not perfect traction, but not bad, either. On an open road with nothing on the sides, and no cars on the road with me, I stopped, and the floored it. It wasn't much different than doing the same thing with no snow. I've owned four Audis, that means something.

CD

CD

We have had the tail end of something the past few days, very windy. Around 6ish this morning the rain woke me up it was so heavy and loud, the wind howling..calmer now, still a bit windy but that didn't stop us going for a walk.

In Boston, things have pretty much returned to normal. Not that windy & temps seem back to normal now. :whistling:

In Boston, things have pretty much returned to normal. Not that windy & temps seem back to normal now. :whistling:
I wish we could have warmer temps so these mounds of snow would disappear.

Because of the high volume of traffic in Boston, the snow disappears quiet fast, much faster that places like Newton, whhich seems to keep mounds of snow much longer on the street with far less traffic. :whistling:

It's slowly melting here.

I couldn't stay out of it, I went out yesterday and chipped a hole about three feet around, so the sun could hit the blacktop and start warming it, and then I went out every hour and extended it. It's amazing what a little sunlight will do, even when it's not much above freezing.

I ended up doing that in a couple of other spots, and today, by this afternoon, with bright sun and temps around 40F, it's slowly starting to turn to slush. I was chipping away ice this morning, and pushing slush this afternoon. By tomorrow, it'll be dirty grey slush, and nearly gone from the pavement.

Because of the high volume of traffic in Boston, the snow disappears quiet fast, much faster that places like Newton, whhich seems to keep mounds of snow much longer on the street with far less traffic. :whistling:
The streets aren't bad, it's the large mounds on either side of the driveway, LOL. One of them is probably 8 feet tall.

Back
Top Bottom