Who Still uses Shortening or Lard to Fry Chicken With?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
3:14 PM
Back in the days when we were kids, we used to fry chicken with shortening or lard. This was in the '60's, "70's & maybe in the '80's. We thought nothing of it! The chicken was good & it tasted great!! There were no concerns about health or anything of that nature.

Now today, there is a strong concern about that & it has become very questionable because on animal fats & tropical fats. Cholesterol is a big thing these days which affects peoples' health & well-being. So I ask who is still doing this? Who enjoys using shortening or lard to fry your chicken in? Healthier things are a great alturnative, as they help to lower the cholesterol intake & promotes a more healthier lifestyle. I usually eat baked or oven-fried chicken. Even though fried looks so tempting & enticing, I only eat it fried once in a great while, as there are no added fats or oils that would make it a health risk to me. :whistling:

Well this is rather interesting because I was thinking of posting a thread about bacon fat. Its not really 'a thing' to save bacon drippings/fat in the UK but I've noted that it is a very 'normal' and popular thing to do in the US. Bacon fat is high in cholesterol and saturated fat - so if that is seen as OK, I don't quite understand why there should be any opposition to shortening or lard (or indeed suet). 🤷‍♀️

I, also, save bacon fat to help season a pot of greens, dried beans & sometimes to scramble eggs with. Even though bacon fat is also considered as unhealthy, it has also become what is known as "kitchen treassures" like baked bones for soup stock. And I DO eat bacon, but only in moderation. Instead of ham hocks I use smoked turkey wings, & they provide the smokey flavor with far less fat. I use canola oil to fry chicken, but like I said, only once in a while I'll fry chicken. Studies show that canola oil has far less cholesterol than most oils. :whistling:

Having returned to the UK 6 months or so ago, I realise that the bacon I was used to in Venezuela/USA is completely different from the bacon here in the UK. I used to buy " Oscar Meyer" bacon in Caracas, and you could guarantee that there´d be a whole load of fat left over.
Here I buy "Back Bacon" and I´m lucky if I get a tsp of fat, which means that my fried bread is no good!

How can you fry potatoes with only a teaspoon of bacon fat? Or am I misunderstanding (I often do!)?

Usually, it's with a little bit more than a teaspoon. It depends on how many potatoes that you intend to slice up & fry. :whistling:

Last edited:
Having returned to the UK 6 months or so ago, I realise that the bacon I was used to in Venezuela/USA is completely different from the bacon here in the UK. I used to buy " Oscar Meyer" bacon in Caracas, and you could guarantee that there´d be a whole load of fat left over.
Here I buy "Back Bacon" and I´m lucky if I get a tsp of fat, which means that my fried bread is no good!

Well, of course if you buy back bacon there is less fat - but I generally buy streaky bacon and although it looks as if there is a lot of fat in the rashers, there is not much that renders out. Hmm...what is going on here?

Fried bread? 🤔

Back
Top Bottom