Who Still uses Shortening or Lard to Fry Chicken With?

I use peanut oil for deep frying. I use different oils for pan frying/sautéing, although I do sometimes use bacon fat for that, too.

I used manteca (Mexican word for lard) to make "authentic" carnitas once. It was good, but I usually braise my pork for carnitas in chicken broth. Broth is arguably "healthier," and a whole lot easier to dispose of.

CD

Well this is rather interesting because I was thinking of posting a thread about bacon fat. Its not really 'a thing' to save bacon drippings/fat in the UK but I've noted that it is a very 'normal' and popular thing to do in the US. Bacon fat is high in cholesterol and saturated fat - so if that is seen as OK, I don't quite understand why there should be any opposition to shortening or lard (or indeed suet). 🤷‍♀️

Ditto I was raised that way with leftover fat in the fridge. I used to do the same but stopped 15? Years ago in favour of evoo.

Russ

I once tried smoked turkey bacon. It has fat less fat then regular bacon, but the taste of it is just HORRIBLE!!!! I went right back to regular bacon! Never tried THAT again. I don't care. There's nothing quite like the smell & taste of regular bacon. Don't use it much, but when you do, it like heaven!! :whistling:

As with most foods, bad health is achieved by how much you eat, not so much what you eat. A little occasional lard or bacon fat won't hurt you. Using it every day would not be recommended. I use shortening to mix with butter for pie crust and I use manteca (lard) only for making refried beans. They just don't taste right with unsaturated fat. We use about 2 cups of it per year. Not a big deal. I only make 3 or 4 pie crusts per year for that matter. Again, not a big deal. My mother used tell me that we all need to eat. We might as well eat well. Everything in moderation is the key.

The only "fried bread" that I usually make now & then is French toast. :whistling:
As an addendum to the plantain thread, try making stuffed French toast with cooked plantain "maduros" as the filling. It is a perfect pairing to French toast and maple syrup. It is like having desert for breakfast. HIghly recommended.

Well, of course if you buy back bacon there is less fat - but I generally buy streaky bacon and although it looks as if there is a lot of fat in the rashers, there is not much that renders out. Hmm...what is going on here?

I noticed that the Oscar Meyer streaky bacon that's available in Singapore has a much higher proportion of fat than the Danish streaky bacon we'd get in the UK (and here). Some rashers will have more than 50% fat, but of course they put the red meat part on show through the packet and the thick white belly lard is hidden underneath and you won't see it till you open it. I stopped buying it because of that.

I noticed that the Oscar Meyer streaky bacon that's available in Singapore has a much higher proportion of fat than the Danish streaky bacon we'd get in the UK (and here). Some rashers will have more than 50% fat, but of course they put the red meat part on show through the packet and the thick white belly lard is hidden underneath and you won't see it till you open it. I stopped buying it because of that.

Same here. Cheaper bacon will have too much fat. Good bacon is expensive, but worth it.

CD

Back
Top Bottom