Who would you invite to a dinner party?

How about John Lennon and George Harrison? Maybe not at the same time...

HUGE Beatles fan. Really loved them. I remember being devastated when they broke up, and was trying to warm up to solo acts and PM's Wings. I did like "Band on The Run" and a couple others of PM's music after Beatles. As pieces of a whole, they were each very good, but the sum of the parts was incomparable.

HUGE Beatles fan. Really loved them. I remember being devastated when they broke up, and was trying to warm up to solo acts and PM's Wings. I did like "Band on The Run" and a couple others of PM's music after Beatles. As pieces of a whole, they were each very good, but the sum of the parts was incomparable.

Band on the run, I was at my peak, cruising with girls and listening to that song. Ahhhh the memories.

Russ

Oh, LOL. I was about 11-12, hahahaha. But it brings back great memories of my dad taking me and my brother closest to me in age out on his boat. We would camp out on the islands and string up hammocks, cook the fish we caught that day over an open fire, and he would crank up the a.m. radio on the boat. At the time , Band on the Run was quite popular.

I also remember that "Stairway to Heaven" was popular right after that. My dad was so cool, he loved country music and Johnny Cash, but he knew that (at the time) that wasn't my thing, so he would turn on the rock stations for me in the car. Back then kids didn't ask or demand things, remember? At least we didn't. So it was special that he knew and paid attention to what we liked and tried to accommodate.

Much later, well after the time he passed away, I grew to appreciate some of the music that he liked. I love Johnny Cash now.

I also remember that "Stairway to Heaven" was popular right after that. My dad was so cool, he loved country music and Johnny Cash, but he knew that (at the time) that wasn't my thing, so he would turn on the rock stations for me in the car. Back then kids didn't ask or demand things, remember? At least we didn't. So it was special that he knew and paid attention to what we liked and tried to accommodate.

Much later, well after the time he passed away, I grew to appreciate some of the music that he liked. I love Johnny Cash now.

My all time fave is Roy o. The black n white album. My son used to take the $&$& out of me for years but I was talking to him over the phone about 6 months ago. He was listening to Roy. He then admitted he bought the cd. I laughed like hell when he told me.

Russ

That would be Roy Orbison? Mmm, I get it, I liked some of the songs and thought (if he wrote his own songs) that they were very good, just did not enjoy the delivery. He had an unusual voice, though. I think it's the vibrato I am not crazy about. I did like the Traveling Wilburys, though.

That would be Roy Orbison? Mmm, I get it, I liked some of the songs and thought (if he wrote his own songs) that they were very good, just did not enjoy the delivery. He had an unusual voice, though. I think it's the vibrato I am not crazy about. I did like the Traveling Wilburys, though.

I watched a doco on Roy Orbison, it gave me a huge look into his tragic life. If you watch the black n white album the people on the album talked about Roy and gave me insights to the man.
Great voice

Russ

I drove the last car John Lennon owned. A beige Mercedes Station wagon. A diesel at that.

I love John's music, but I'm not sure I'd want to spend time with him -- especially if Yoko Ono tagged along.

I could hang with Ringo. Mediocre drummer who was in the right place at the right time. I have a feeling he is a really cool guy, too. Funny thing is, his son Zak is an amazing drummer -- drummer for The Who for the last ten or more years. I could just hang out in a corner, and watch him play. But I can imagine sitting around a campfire and eating Texas BBQ with him. He seems like someone who would like that kind of thing. I could be wrong.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DpcXLNBN1E

George. Hmmmmm. Yeah, I'd like to get to know him, mainly because of his work after the Beatles, that were understated, yet always well done. John has the reputation for being the "deep thinker," but I thing George would be more interesting to hang out with over dinner.

CD

Last edited:
I drove the last car John Lennon owned. A beige Mercedes Station wagon. A diesel at that.

I love John's music, but I'm not sure I'd want to spend time with him -- especially if Yoko Ono tagged along.

I could hang with Ringo. Mediocre drummer who was in the right place at the right time. I have a feeling he is a really cool guy, too. Funny thing is, his son Zak is an amazing drummer -- drummer for The Who for the last ten or more years. I could just hang out in a corner, and watch him play. But I can imagine sitting around a campfire and eating Texas BBQ with him. He seems like someone who would like that kind of thing. I could be wrong.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DpcXLNBN1E

George. Hmmmmm. Yeah, I'd like to get to know him, mainly because of his work after the Beatles, that were understated, yet always well done. John has the reputation for being the "deep thinker," but I thing George would be more interesting to hang out with over dinner.

CD

Or share a joint with?

Russ

I am a proud scouser (Liverpudlian). I am 70 years old next year. My first job in the music industry was tour security. It would be my old mate Chas Chandler. I worked with him at EMI Manchester Square. John "wiggy" Wolff who hit hard times, He gave me my first tour job back in the day. This strap is incorrect, it should have been Tour Manager " The former manager of legendary rock band The Who has narrowly escaped a jail term for stealing more than £50,000 in benefit fraud." Bill Curbishley was their manager and the biggest prick ...................

I am a proud scouser (Liverpudlian). I am 70 years old next year. My first job in the music industry was tour security. It would be my old mate Chas Chandler. I worked with him at EMI Manchester Square. John "wiggy" Wolff who hit hard times, He gave me my first tour job back in the day. This strap is incorrect, it should have been Tour Manager " The former manager of legendary rock band The Who has narrowly escaped a jail term for stealing more than £50,000 in benefit fraud." Bill Curbishley was their manager and the biggest prick ...................
Sooooo, you don't like him. :)

Russ

No for a lot of reasons, in fairness he always paid me and Wiggy well. He invited the old guard to one of the many farewell tours, he kicked Wiggy and me off it for having to much fun. I think it was a snowy Chicago, we drugged the then tour manager and took him down in the goods lift with his bed and put him to sleep in the car park at 03.00.

That's a shame as your family background sounds interesting. I'm lucky in that my last name is really uncommon. I was able to trace back a long way on both female and male lines. If you grandfather was half native American, do you know which of his parents?

I would wager that my real name is probably one of the more uncommon names here. My surname is comprised of three 'words' and is of Huguenot roots. My forename is an old fashioned name that just isn't used anymore. However I have managed to get the family to continue the name by using it as a middle name for one of my sons and grandsons.

Our family tree has been traced back to the 1500's with branches in Normandy and Sark. My family tree includes such notable members as 'an imbecile' and a murderer.

Back
Top Bottom