Who would you invite to a dinner party?

Hey, we've got a lot in common!

I love bagpipe music as well, and took lessons for a little over a year about 20 years ago.

I am also the youngest of six. We both live in O-Hi-O.

My great-grandmother (in Kentucky) was Native American. Every generation or so, a baby will still pop out who strongly resembles that heritage. She married my great-grandad when she was 13 or 14, and he was well into his 20's, and the story they liked to tell (which probably had a smidge if truth to it, but probably mostly not) is that he "bought" her from her family for an amount of moonshine. Whenever they'd get into a little disagreement, when we were kids, he'd end any argument he was losing with, "I surely do wish I'd never given your Pa that moonshine...I'm still paying for it!" :laugh:

On the male side, the first one of us got here in the early 1700's, but no one knows exactly if he was French or German. Came from an area that constantly flipped between the two, German surname, but came in on a French ship...and he had an English wife, from Bristol!
We have even more in common, I too am a musician (I play piano and guitar and played trumpet in the high school band). I also sing and used to perform in a band when I was in my 20s living in Florida.

Last edited:
Hey, we've got a lot in common!

I love bagpipe music as well, and took lessons for a little over a year about 20 years ago.

I am also the youngest of six. We both live in O-Hi-O.

My great-grandmother (in Kentucky) was Native American. Every generation or so, a baby will still pop out who strongly resembles that heritage. She married my great-grandad when she was 13 or 14, and he was well into his 20's, and the story they liked to tell (which probably had a smidge if truth to it, but probably mostly not) is that he "bought" her from her family for an amount of moonshine. Whenever they'd get into a little disagreement, when we were kids, he'd end any argument he was losing with, "I surely do wish I'd never given your Pa that moonshine...I'm still paying for it!" :laugh:

On the male side, the first one of us got here in the early 1700's, but no one knows exactly if he was French or German. Came from an area that constantly flipped between the two, German surname, but came in on a French ship...and he had an English wife, from Bristol!
Are you by any chance a Chris Thile fan?

Are you by any chance a Chris Thile fan?
Yep. I had the chance to play with him, informally, in Minnesota many years ago, at an outdoor festival. Very nice guy. He just lost his radio show.

Anyway, as far as his playing goes, he was a teenager, Nickel Creek was just getting recognition, and standing near him, watching and hearing him play, he was, even at that age, a man among boys, as the saying goes.

He comes across as very sincere. I am sad to hear, I enjoyed listening to him on NPR every week. But it must have been very challenging when the show was so audience contingent.

He comes across as very sincere. I am sad to hear, I enjoyed listening to him on NPR every week. But it must have been very challenging when the show was so audience contingent.
I'm on a couple of musicians' forums, and that's another sector of the population that's been devastated by the virus; yer everyday, local, not-famous-to-anyone-but-your-town, working musician.

A lot of folks I know, they stitch together a living by giving lessons, maybe doing studio work, and performing, and a lot of that has disappeared.

Yeah, I know. Many of my friends in Florida have been hit hard. It's sad.

I've sometimes thought of this, but I suspect it could be a disappointment in real life. How can people match up to your idealised opinion of them?
My tuppence worth is ;
Captain Lawrence Oates. Imagine meeting someone who was so selfless that he sacrificed his life for his friends.
Alan Turing. Way above my intellect but would be so intersting to see what makes him tick.
Hedy Lamarr. Beautiful and the inventor of technology that was the precursor to Wi-Fi.
Keith Floyd. Apparently he could be a bit of a **** but i think a pub crawl with him would have been epic.
So many more, Martin Luther King, Katherine Johnson...

I've sometimes thought of this, but I suspect it could be a disappointment in real life. How can people match up to your idealised opinion of them?
My tuppence worth is ;
Captain Lawrence Oates. Imagine meeting someone who was so selfless that he sacrificed his life for his friends.
Alan Turing. Way above my intellect but would be so intersting to see what makes him tick.
Hedy Lamarr. Beautiful and the inventor of technology that was the precursor to Wi-Fi.
Keith Floyd. Apparently he could be a bit of a **** but i think a pub crawl with him would have been epic.
It's been said many times before...don't meet your heroes.

That's a shame as your family background sounds interesting. I'm lucky in that my last name is really uncommon. I was able to trace back a long way on both female and male lines. If you grandfather was half native American, do you know which of his parents?

My family name is very rare in the US, but somewhat common in Italy. I would love to meet some family members from Italy, but my great grandfather didn't pass much on to us. I know he was from Torino, but that's about all.

CD

My tuppence worth is ;

I'd invite Alan Turing to join me with Neil DeGrasse Tyson. I'd probably not get a word in edgewise, but I'd be smarter by the end of the meal.

CD

There, fixed that for you. :okay: :whistling:

CD
Historically, the four* most annoying instruments, in no order, are:

Banjo
Bagpipes
Bodhran
Accordian

I play three of those. 😬

*Spoons (and by extension, bones) are light-years more annoying than any of those, but since they're not even instruments, they don't make the list. :laugh:

It's been said many times before...don't meet your heroes.

I've met a few of mine, and it has been a good experience. Carroll Shelby, Mario Andretti, Sir Stirling Moss. Artists Bill Neale and Al Saterwhite became mentors of mine. Al and I still get together for lunch when I'm in LA.

CD

Back
Top Bottom