Who would you invite to a dinner party?

It is very touching how many would like to have dinner with long passed loved ones, but I was hoping to hear more mentions of people, living and dead, who we all would probably know of. Maybe a philosopher, or sports legend, or famous actor. That gives us all a snapshot of your personality.

I will add a handful of the American "founding fathers." Jefferson, Adams, Hamilton, Franklin, to be included. I have a whole lot of questions for them, like "Why is the Second Amendment only one sentence long?"

CD

If I were feeling brave, I'd try Anthony Bourdain.

Ben Franklin seemed food-adventurous, and I'd like to chat with him. Along with William Shakespeare, who might have not been so adventurous, but hey, the conversations would be fun. Ditto the latter with Mark Twain. I'd bet Teddy Roosevelt would be interesting to dine with.

Not a single sports figure I'd care about, but a dinner with the Beatles or with Ian Anderson would be fun (at least I know he likes salmon and Indian curries). Actually, I did eat with Tom Petty - well, we were at a benefit together so I assume he ate the same things, and I did get 4 or 5 minutes to talk with him.

I'd love to taste lembas with JRR Tolkein.

I go along with having dinner with my Dad. That is a snapshot of my personality. Sure there are many great people in the world who did wonders for humanity and were born leaders. And I do hold admiration for many of them but at the end of the day There are just as many people who are the unspoken heros and my Dad was one of them.

Maybe Cleopatra, just to see what all the fuss was about.

And Lucy Worsley. Mustn't forget Lucy Worsley.😙

I'd go back further in time than Cleopatra. I'd want to eat with genuine Egyptians. Her ancestors married into the family line.

Hatshepsut and her son, Thutmose III. That was a bad family dynamic, but would be interesting if we could stop them from throwing things at each other. Queen Nefertiti. Oh, I could see a bunch of possibilities here.

Oh, I forgot who Lucy Worsley is, sorry. And I fear I'll forget again once told?

Oh, I forgot who Lucy Worsley is, sorry. And I fear I'll forget again once told?
She's a British historian, TV presenter, and resident Doctor of So Cute You Want To Cry. She's got the best job in the world, working at Hampton Court Palace.

She's one of those who frequently ends up on those goofy "Sexiest..." lists, and always the one you'd think, "What's she doing there?" - but it's her personality that shines through on the history programs she presents that really makes her attractive. She presents history with a lot of gusto, and never shies away from the violence, intrigue, and sex that normally gets sanitized. She's an absolute hoot to watch, just a joy.

Lucy Worsley - Wikipedia

I'd definitely invite my mom and dad, even if I did get a chance to say goodbye, which I didn't.

Actors or Musicians?...NAH.
I've been around them and been involved in it, and/or with them my whole life.

Comedians would be Brian Regan because he's clean.
George Carlin 'cause he's not.
After my parents had a few wine coolers in them, Richard Pryor could make a cameo, provided he didn't use that one word, especially if it precedes a favorite two-word phrase of his.

I would also pick several of my best friends, one of which I haven't seen since the sixties that I know for sure is no longer here, and a couple from the seventies that I sadly lost touch with.

To top it all off, I'd invite any food demo employee from Costco that has worked there for at least three years, 'cause she'll know all the best items to bring!

I'd definitely invite my mom and dad, even if I did get a chance to say goodbye, which I didn't.

Actors or Musicians?...NAH.
I've been around them and been involved in it, and/or with them my whole life.

Comedians would be Brian Regan because he's clean.
George Carlin 'cause he's not.
After my parents had a few wine coolers in them, Richard Pryor could make a cameo, provided he didn't use that one word, especially if it precedes a favorite two-word phrase of his.

I would also pick several of my best friends, one of which I haven't seen since the sixties that I know for sure is no longer here, and a couple from the seventies that I sadly lost touch with.

To top it all off, I'd invite any food demo employee from Costco that has worked there for at least three years, 'cause she'll know all the best items to bring!

I have never heard of Brian Regan-will have to google him. Clean comedians are few and far between but I don't have a problem with that to be honest.

I have never heard of Brian Regan-will have to google him. Clean comedians are few and far between but I don't have a problem with that to be honest.

I don't have a problem with that either, yet even in this day and age it gets an easy laugh.
Going the distance and doing clean comedy is akin to writing an ending to a song, as opposed to going the 'fading-out'-route, although in some songs, that's quite effective as well.

The only questionable word Regan uses is the occasional 'H' word.

He has some very funny bits, but as with most comedians, some of their best stuff has been taken off YouTube, or, it is audio only, at best.
The link I'm supplying is an entire show which has several good bits.

He does a bit on food consumption.
He either perfected the delivery of that bit on the show The Best Of Comedy Central Presents , or he gave a better/fresher performance of it (not sure which came first), and and some other repeated bits in this link here.
I prefer TBOCCP deliveries, although YMMV.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f713tLbdlu4

I've never seen Dora The Explorer, but I do like the punchline of the first of the two bits, which maybe only people here in the States will get:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSL3z_uSRbM

BTT...there are several musicians I wouldn't mind inviting, if they were truly humble, not just publicly humble.
That would also have to include listening to bands or acts other than themselves that we both like (or just their faves) and commenting on their virtues, both on released versions and on unreleased so called 'Fan' versions (ahem), including isolated tracks and stems.

Back
Top Bottom