Recipe Whole Eggs in Coconut Masala (Egg molee)

Elawin

Guru
Local time
8:54 AM
upload_2017-12-21_17-4-59.jpg

Serves: 2
Cooking time: 15 minutes, plus 8 minutes to hard-boil eggs

Ingredients:

2 tbsp vegetable oil
3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and left whole
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp chilli powder
200 ml coconut milk
1 medium red onion, finely sliced
10 g/2 cm ginger, finely shredded
1-2 fresh green chillies, or frozen chillies (thawed), finely sliced, seeds left in
½ tsp salt
½ tsp sugar
1 tsp dried coriander leaves, or small handful of fresh coriander leaves, chopped
½ tsp garam masala
150 g rice
Flatbreads (optional)

Method:
  1. Boil the rice.
  2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a heavy-based pan over a medium heat.
  3. Add the whole eggs, and fry for 1-2 minutes until lightly coloured.
  4. Add the turmeric and chilli powder, stir and cook for a further 30 seconds.
  5. Stir in the coconut milk and bring to a simmer.
  6. Add the onions, ginger, chillies, and salt, and simmer for 5 minutes, until the coconut milk has reduced in volume by half and the onion slices are just softened, adding a splash of water if it becomes too thick.
  7. Stir in the sugar and coriander and sprinkle with garam masala.
  8. Halve the eggs, and serve with the rice and flatbreads, if desired.
Notes:
  1. Adapted for 2 people from a recipe in Rick Stein’s India: in Search of a Perfect Curry. Just double up the ingredients to serve 4 people.
  2. If reheating, remove the eggs first.
  3. Does not freeze.

Thank you for posting! I wanted to know the recipe. Now I have to find a sub for coconut milk as I'm intolerant to it. Yoghurt perhaps?

I really like the technique of pan frying a hard-boiled egg. I think I'd saute the onions and garlic before adding the milk, but maybe the point is to keep the intensity from being muted.
I've made this a couple of times now. I must admit to upping the chilli and garlic a bit the second time, but then I do l a lot of chilli and garlic:D. It was lovely as per recipe (which is an authentic Indian recipe BTW). I'd have never thought of sautéing the onions and garlic first, but one Keralan recipe does just that (https://pachakam.com/Recipes/Egg-Molee)

Back
Top Bottom