Recipe Whole grain oatmeal apple pie (family recipe)

Windigo

Kitchen witch
Local time
12:21 PM
Website
www.instagram.com

So by popular request, here is the recipe for my family apple pie. It's been my favorite since childhood, and I've not seen many like this one. It has a crumbly but stable texture, and is mildly sweet.

Ingredients:
4 medium sour apples
200 g whole wheat flour
100 g oatmeal
200 g caster sugar or muscavado sugar if you want it darker like on this picture
250 g butter, preferably salted (or if you want it veganized, use hard margarine and a pinch of salt)
3 teaspoons cinnamon (two for the dough, one for the apples)
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Material:
A 25 cm baking tin, preferably a spring cake tin.
Baking foil or paper
Oven set to 185 celcius and preheated

First make the dough by mixing the flour, oatmeal, sugar, and spices in a bowl. Then melt the whole pack of butter in the microwave and pour into the dough mixture. Leave a little to grease the tin. Mix the dough with your hands or a fork into a crumbly but firm mixture. Line the cake tin with paper and grease the paper a little. Then use about half (just a little less) of the dough mixture to cover the base of the tin. Press it into a thin equal layer with your hands or a spoon. Put it aside in the fridge while you core and peel the apples.
Dice the apples into small pieces, and mix with the remaining spoonful of cinnamon. Place the apples in an even layer in the tin on the base. Then spoon the rest of the dough on top of the apples, taking care to use your hands to cover the apples thouroughly and make for an equal topping.
Bake the pie for 60 minutes. Let cool and set in the fridge overnight, that intensifies the flavours and gives the pie it's characteristic soft and crunchy bite. When ready to use, turn it over from it's tin onto a plate. You need a bread knife to cut it.

Serve it with greek yoghurt for a special breakfast, or with custard for a party dessert. Serves about 8 hungry diners.

What a lovely recipe - I have a load of apples so I may make this for my daughter who has a sweet tooth. Great photo too. Thanks for posting.

And it's so simple!

When you've made this recipe once or twice you can just dream the recipe and make it any time really, it's not hard to remember and people love it.

I'm glad you posted this recipe!
This cake is simple and good and just perfect for breakfast.
I was thinking of eventually making a personal addition like nuts or even almonds. I'll see

We often add plums or apricots as a substitute for one apple, I am sure you can add pecans or almonds to the pie too.

Back
Top Bottom