1 medium carrot, finely chopped
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups half-and-half cream
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
1 teaspoon salt

Directions
In a medium saucepan, combine the rice, oil and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook the onion, celery and carrot in butter until vegetables are almost tender. Stir in flour until blended; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Slowly stir in broth and undrained rice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until slightly thickened, 2 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in the cream, rosemary and salt. Simmer, uncovered, until rice is tender, about 20 minutes.

Recipe courtesy of Taste Of Home

NOTE: I modified this by doubling up on the rice, adding a bundle of fresh thyme, and adding white pepper to taste.

We started making this after moving to Minnesota, where wild rice is native and cooking with it is nearly a religion. This soup could be a contender for the state's unofficial state dish (move over, tater tot hot dish).

This is possibly MrsTasty's favorite soup. No real surprises, just a cream soup with all the usual suspects, but the wild rice adds a nice little dimension of...chewiness.

I prefer wild rice to regular rice, largely because of that unique (to me) chew factor. I also like the color it lends, especially in a cream soup; those brownish-black streaks are as pretty to see as they are delicious to eat.

The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Rice

WILD RICE SOUP
Serves 8

Ingredients
1/3 cup uncooked wild rice
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 quart water
1 medium onion, chopped
1 celery rib, finely chopped
1 medium carrot, finely chopped
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups half-and-half cream
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
1 teaspoon salt

Directions
In a medium saucepan, combine the rice, oil and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook the onion, celery and carrot in butter until vegetables are almost tender. Stir in flour until blended; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Slowly stir in broth and undrained rice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until slightly thickened, 2 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in the cream, rosemary and salt. Simmer, uncovered, until rice is tender, about 20 minutes.

Recipe courtesy of Taste Of Home

NOTE: I modified this by doubling up on the rice, adding a bundle of fresh thyme, and adding white pepper to taste.

We started making this after moving to Minnesota, where wild rice is native and cooking with it is nearly a religion. This soup could be a contender for the state's unofficial state dish (move over, tater tot hot dish).

This is possibly MrsTasty's favorite soup. No real surprises, just a cream soup with all the usual suspects, but the wild rice adds a nice little dimension of...chewiness.

I prefer wild rice to regular rice, largely because of that unique (to me) chew factor. I also like the color it lends, especially in a cream soup; those brownish-black streaks are as pretty to see as they are delicious to eat.

Looks spectacular, indeed.

Do you have a photo about wild rice by chance? Only for personal curiosity since I have no idea which is.
Anyway, great recipe, bravo 👏🏻

I like this - an unexpected way to use wild rice which I've not seen used in a creamy soup before. It has a lovely nutty taste which I can see would work here.

I also like this because - aside from the cream - it consists of things I have on hand. I do have wild rice, but it doesn't look as robust as what you have here. Next time I go out, I'll look for some Minnesota wild rice; mine looks more like this:

-and-wild-rice--548299547-5a721cebc064710037496da5.jpg

I also like this because - aside from the cream - it consists of things I have on hand. I do have wild rice, but it doesn't look as robust as what you have here. Next time I go out, I'll look for some Minnesota wild rice; mine looks more like this:

View attachment 41534

That's a mix of wild rice, brown or red rice and white rice. We have the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom