Will you sign up to Gordon Ramsay's Cooking Classes?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:18 PM
Chef Gordon Ramsay, the notoriously acid-tongued British chef and TV star and producer, will unveil his secrets to crafting world-class cuisine in a series of video lessons slated to launch next year. Ramsay is offering the class through San Francisco-based startup MasterClass, whose celebrity-hosted online courses are each priced at $90. The Ramsay cooking class will comprise more than 20 lessons, with more than four hours of video total, slated to be available in early 2017.

Would you sign up to do an on-line course? Personally I watch a lot of TV cooking shows and I have learned a huge amount from watching chefs demonstrate recipes and techniques. But, I'm not sure I need to pay for a course.

Read more here.

Last edited:
Too expensive for me especially just for videos.
Did I read that right 20 courses that will only total 4 hours? That is less than 15 minutes a course.

Can, if I want visit a relatives restaurant where he sometimes cooks or gives lessons. Why pay?

Well this is what I'm wondering. Why would people pay. I know people will pay if they get a qualification - but that isn't so here (as far as I can see).

In the UK, Cookery shows are particularly well-made and detailed in the way they demonstrate techniques. But perhaps this is not so elsewhere? The course is to be launched in America and there is nothing in the news about it in the UK (that I can find). The news item is featured is on Canadian website, I think. Although, the report is from Los Angeles.

Well this is what I'm wondering. Why would people pay. I know people will pay if they get a qualification - but that isn't so here (as far as I can see).

In the UK, Cookery shows are particularly well-made and detailed in the way they demonstrate techniques. But perhaps this is not so elsewhere? The course is to be launched in America and there is nothing in the news about it in the UK (that I can find). The news item is featured is on Canadian website, I think. Although, the report is from Los Angeles.
They are probably doing it in the USA because people will pay because it is a celebrity chef.
No certificates required. Then they can say oh I learned whatever from big name person.
Celebrities here are almost if not more revered than oh say Queen Elizabeth.

Wow! I would love to go...
Aunt has had him cooking in her kitchen more than once.

As I've said before, The West Coast Of Ireland.
I've been in what was Brendan Grace's restaurant(disappointment) & served by Brendan O'Carroll himself(Mrs. Brown's Boys), at his restaurant.

In italics added in edit.

Last edited:
Much as I admire Ramsay I think this looks a bit of a gimmick. The practical skills mentioned could be better learned by enrolling in a local school and actually practicing for real instead of paying $90 to watch someone else do it on television.

Youtube is full of recipes and cooking demos you can watch for free, why pay? Ok so he is a 'celeb' but I would much rather learn from Jane Doe who most likely learned from her grandmother who learned from hers, they don't charge, they teach for the joy of cooking and teaching others.

from what I've heard, it's not worth it. He has videos on youtube that offer the same amount of information, and supposedly he just teaches "here's how to make this dish" which you can find similar tutorials of online for free.

I know this is a very old thread. But, I am a Masterclass member, for business related reasons. Gordon Ramsay's classes are available to me, but I have not watched any. I know he has a bunch of Michelin stars, but his cooking doesn't speak to me.

CD

Back
Top Bottom