Wine Glasses

We have been to a few wine tasting evenings and learnt so much, one thing is that expensive doesn't always mean better.

Yes, expensive doesn't always mean better. I don't buy any bottle over $20 US. And only the reds can get that close. Whites, I don't buy any over $13 US.

Different wines would be served in different glasses, in a fine dining environment. At home, use whatever doesn't leak.

View attachment 33716

View attachment 33717

CD

My wine glasses mostly look like the Viognier style - a type of wine I have until never heard of. Or the very similar Bordeaux or Cabernet.

I also have a set of "sparkling", or as we call them champagne, glasses. They're annoying - they fit badly in the dishwasher.

I do know the properly shaped glass does help the proper vintage/wine taste best... but I am fine muddling along.

Interestingly, when I go out and order a glass of wine, they give me a huge wine glass.... and probably fill it just 1/5th full on a good day. Maybe that's just here?

Here in pubs if you ask for a glass of wine they say 'large?' (assuming that is what you want) - and large is a third of a standard bottle (250 ml). The standard measure used to be 125 ml, which means six glasses per bottle. And that was pretty well all a standard wine glass used to hold.

Here in pubs if you ask for a glass of wine they say 'large?' (assuming that is what you want) - and large is a third of a standard bottle (250 ml). The standard measure used to be 125 ml, which means six glasses per bottle. And that was pretty well all a standard wine glass used to hold.

I ask for medium, a large one is intimidating.

We don't usually have a say in the size of glass. In fact, I've never seen that as an option. You are asked if you want a glass or a whole bottle (the latter presumably to be shared at the table). They simply don't pour much into the glass, no matter the size.

On the other hand, champagne / prosecco (sparkling wine) flutes do tend to be nearly full, if ordered out.

I haven't been to a bar in a while, but at a restaurant, a glass of wine will run from $7 to $9 - not sure of the conversion rate. Sometimes you can find a glass for $6, but you probably don't want to find that one. There are also more expensive wines, but they're not going to be any better tasting than the price range I quoted you.

Out of curiosity, how much would you expect to pay for a glass of wine in a bar?

I haven't been to a bar in a while, but at a restaurant, a glass of wine will run from $7 to $9 - not sure of the conversion rate. Sometimes you can find a glass for $6, but you probably don't want to find that one. There are also more expensive wines, but they're not going to be any better tasting than the price range I quoted you.

Converting that, it seems expensive compared to the UK if you are getting such a small glass.

Where I live, a glass of wine is 6oz, and if you just order the house red or house white, it'll be about $6US a glass.

It's pretty well-known here that markups of restaurant wine are some of the largest percentages of just about anything.

Back
Top Bottom