Wontons ... pork filling

Roger Burton

Local time
1:35 AM
Website
www.rogerburton.co.uk
Hi chaps, so I bought some frozen wonton wrappers from an Asian store, they look pretty "thin" to me but I want to give them a try but I have a couple of questions ... recipes say minced pork, RAW, will the filling cook when the little wantons are cooked ? it doesn't seem long enough for me, I don't mind undercooked prawns but not pork. I'd also like to, as an alternative, try to deep fry them, do they not split open in the hot oil ? I also worry about not sealing them properly and the stuffing coming out ... I'm such a worrier !

I've been meaning to make my own as well. I make samosas which has the filling that is cooked before sealing them. You have me wondering now, I was going to mince up pork and prawns, both raw, with spices etc, and seal them raw. I assume the heat while steaming will cook the filling. Looking forward to other replies.

Russ

I've been using Ming Tsai's recipe (actually his mom's) for years. I use a cookie scoop that is about 1 Tablespoon for the filling and my pleats with bought wrappers (round) are 7. What I do is lay out about 1 dozen wrappers on a board, then put the filling in the center, then brush water around the edges, then fold. You have to keep the wrappers covered with a damp towel or they will dry out. I usually lay damp paper towels over the finished dumplings as well so they don't dry out.

BTW, always make more than you think you'll need as they will get eaten.

I make a shrimp filling too but don't really have a recipe for it. I roughly chop up around 1/2 pound of large shrimp and mix with about a cup of cabbage (treated as above), 1/4 to 1/3 cup frozen thawed corn, chopped up 1/2 large red bell pepper and a bit of ginger.

My potstickers, post #313.

Last edited:
I've been using Ming Tsai's recipe (actually his mom's) for years. I use a cookie scoop that is about 1 Tablespoon for the filling and my pleats with bought wrappers (round) are 7. What I do is lay out about 1 dozen wrappers on a board, then put the filling in the center, then brush water around the edges, then fold. You have to keep the wrappers covered with a damp towel or they will dry out. I usually lay damp paper towels over the finished dumplings as well so they don't dry out.

BTW, always make more than you think you'll need as they will get eaten.

I make a shrimp filling too but don't really have a recipe for it. I roughly chop up around 1/2 pound of large shrimp and mix with about a cup of cabbage (treated as above), 1/4 to 1/3 cup frozen thawed corn, chopped up 1/2 large red bell pepper and a bit of ginger.

My potstickers, post #313.

Had a look at that post, great folding btw. My wife does folding when we make samosas , I'm not very good at fiddly stuff, I may have to get her to fold them like your ones.

Russ

Hi chaps, so I bought some frozen wonton wrappers from an Asian store, they look pretty "thin" to me but I want to give them a try but I have a couple of questions ... recipes say minced pork, RAW, will the filling cook when the little wantons are cooked ? it doesn't seem long enough for me, I don't mind undercooked prawns but not pork. I'd also like to, as an alternative, try to deep fry them, do they not split open in the hot oil ? I also worry about not sealing them properly and the stuffing coming out ... I'm such a worrier !
How long are you cooking them for? Wontons, such a small amount of filling, they usually cook pretty quickly.

Steamed pork & prawn wontons they steam for 5 mins, is that enough to cook the pork ? I should trust the BBC !

My wonton maker uses raw minced pork (mixed with other stuff). She cooks it for no longer than 5 minutes and I haven't been ill (or died) yet. Personally, if I was cooking them, I'd stir fry the pork for a few minutes first.

Thanks for the responses chaps, I'll check out the link, I was going to try these: Steamed pork & prawn wontons they steam for 5 mins, is that enough to cook the pork ? I should trust the BBC !

The recipe says:

Place 1 tsp of mixture in the centre and scrunch up into a pouch, squeezing to seal. Do not overfill.

5 minutes will be fine. Its a very small amount in each wanton.

Yeah, five minutes is more than enough. That's a teaspoon of filling. That's going to cook very quickly.

Thanks for the reassurance chaps, here we go to make wontons ... I'll eat almost anything raw but pork is not very appealing !
We used to eat raw pork all the time when I was a kid - how else would you know that your sausage seasonings are right?! :)

Um, cook a small patty...
That would take too long and dirty a pan. :laugh:

Every butchering season, my dad and my granddad would make up the sausage, a big plastic-lined box the size of a washing machine, mixed with a big paddle, and every day, at some point, they'd both walk by it, reach in and grab a big pinch, eat it, then adjust the seasonings.

Back
Top Bottom