Wrist Watches.

I've always liked watches and have always worn one. I've been a little more interested in the last couple of years and wondering if anyone here has the same interests?
My most recent purchase was the Bulova "surfboard"
I wear a Samsung Gear S3, and its honestly killed my habit of wearing any other wristwatch. I will probably upgrade to a newer smartwatch at the end of the year.
Once upon a time, I wore a Tag, but you know if you don't wear it all the time it doesn't keep its "charge" since its a self-winder. I no longer see the point in watches as expensive jewelry. I guess that's just my practical side.

I've always liked watches and have always worn one. I've been a little more interested in the last couple of years and wondering if anyone here has the same interests?
My most recent purchase was the Bulova "surfboard"

I now wear an iWatch, because I can read the time without putting on reading glasses.

I have a TAG Heuer Formula1, a RADO dress watch, and used to have a Concorde Mariner dressy/casual watch (got stolen from my home along with some cameras).

Car guys are very often also watch guys. I did the photography and art direction on a car magazine story about that about 12-ish years ago.

WatchesInSpaceWeb-blured name.jpg

CD

Lol, that's how I feel too. I joke with my better half, it's one watch to rule them all.

I have a friend who is a high-end jeweler. I was talking to him a couple years ago at a car event (me in my MINI and he in his Ferrari 458 Speciale Spyder), and he said the iWatch was killing the fine watch business. BTW, his store provided me with all the watches for the photoshoot above.

CD

Last edited:
My husband has always worn a watch with a dial, not an electronic face. When his old one broke and was beyond repair, he moped around for ages before falling in love with a new one. For us, it had a massive price tag (ok, it's only 3 figures but it was well into them and heading towards 4). but it was what he wanted and so I bought it for him for Christmas. He's literally lost without it despite his mobile phone going everywhere with him (work).
He only wears that watch and his wedding ring (don't ask how many times that has gone missing, it is beyond a joke). When the watch 'broke' the adjuster for time came out in his hands it was repaired immediately without question. The shop embarrassed that it had come out.

Curiously we also have a mechanical old wooden wall clock that my mother bought years ago. When we were last in the UK she gave it to me and we had to bring it home on the plane. It's now on the wall but has taken 2 years or more to get it to adjust to the change in atmospheric pressure, altitude and climate with me constantly adjusting it each time I wind it by hand. After 2 years, I've finally got it to within 1 minute a week accuracy. It's easy to adjust that each Monday when I wind it up. (It runs for 8 days before stopping). My family has a history with old grandfather clocks, one of which is a family heirloom.

One thing we've noticed is that since getting the wall clock up and running, we don't check the time anywhere else. We both look for the wall clock in preference to the microwave or the oven, mobile phone or tablet. And if it is not ticking, you can 'hear' the fact immediately from anywhere in the house!

Curiously we also have a mechanical old wooden wall clock that my mother bought years ago. When we were last in the UK she gave it to me and we had to bring it home on the plane.

I have a Grandfather clock that was... my grandfather's. With all of my travel, I couldn't keep it wound, so I just stopped winding it. Now it doesn't run for longer than about ten minutes. It could be cleaned and oiled, and it would work fine, but finding a clockmaker is really hard these day.

CD

My wife bought me a trendy wristwatch for Xmas, about 4-5 years ago. I hated it; damned hefty thing weighed about a kilo and the metal strap kept pinching my wrist. Then there was a "spate" of robberies in the streets; kids on motorbikes, poke a gun through the window, gimme the watch... I took mine off and never wore it again!

Watches are the only "jewelry" I wear and have a collection of them, but my go-to everyday watch is my Samsung Gear 3. I prefer it over the apple watch as it looks more like a traditional chronograph.

I have a couple Invictas, Seikos, Tissot and Tag, but they just collect dust mainly.
I have a Tag but funny enough not a Seiko, which is kinda weird considering Seiko is the big gorilla for watch enthusiasts. The one I want is discontinued and the replacement went up market and not willing to pay the price.

Watches, no. I used to wear one, but more as a fashion accessory than anything else. I do not wear a smartwatch and don't plan to any time soon.

Grandfather clock...I was just talking to my brother today about getting the one at my folks' house - it was my granddad's, so it truly is a grandfather's clock. They're downsizing, so some of the things willed out, they're distributing now.

Guess where I actually check for the time more often than not? Since the TV is usually on, I just double-tap the AppleTV remote and it pops the current time up on the little playbar thingy along the bottom of the screen.

We do have a nice cuckoo clock from Germany and an antique mantle clock from England, both of which work but are never wound. We do have a very good clock repair place about 30 minutes from the house.

My wife bought me a trendy wristwatch for Xmas, about 4-5 years ago. I hated it; damned hefty thing weighed about a kilo and the metal strap kept pinching my wrist. Then there was a "spate" of robberies in the streets; kids on motorbikes, poke a gun through the window, gimme the watch... I took mine off and never wore it again!

Here in Texas, you poke a gun though a window and say, "Gimme the watch," they are quite possibly your very last words in life.

CD

Back
Top Bottom