Yellow Rice

Ellyn

Veteran
Local time
2:17 PM
Recently I dined with the extended family at a Chinese restaurant, and my aunt (a wonderful cook) wondered how this one dish got the rice to be yellow-colored. Butter wouldn't do that. The yellowest margarine wouldn't do that. Egg yolks would stick.

I did a quick Google search on my phone and found out that it was out of a pilaf that almost certainly contained turmeric, but I don't think that my aunt believed me, because turmeric is brown.

When I grew up in Indonesia, they had something called nasi kuning which literally translates to "rice (that is) yellow" but is for some reason translated into "saffron rice" even though the recipe doesn't necessarily use saffron. I suppose that it could, though, since a recipe that I looked up includes such spices as cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, bay laurel, lemon grass (as well as onions, peanut oil, coconut milk, chicken stock...and turmeric, or saffron I suppose it can be.)

I've also seen something called "corn rice" sold at grocery stores in my town, which seems to have had its genes spliced, and even though there is that stigma against Frankenfoods, I am powerfully curious.

It took me awhile to figure out about the yellow rice but once I discovered Tumeric. Its a wonderful spice and can be used for so many things.

Back
Top Bottom