Recipe Yellowfin Tuna Salad from Scratch

blades

Local time
7:36 PM
tunasalad.jpg

This follows up on CaseyDog's Cajun style tuna salad. I promised to make it from raw tuna with some heat, capers and bell pepper. Mission accomplished. The image shows you our typical controlled portions. The recipe will make 4 of those or 2 more normal portions. This is wife approved.

Ingredients

10 oz. frozen tuna steak
4 tbsp chopped onion
4 tbsp chopped green bell pepper
1 tbsp capers
juice of 1/4 lemon
1/2 tsp dry cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste
4 tbsp mayonnaise

Instructions

put the tuna along with a tbsp of salt and half the lemon juice in enough boiling water just to cover the fish. Cook until the fish de-laminates completely and remove it to a mixing bowl. Put the other half lemon juice along with the other ingredients in the bowl and mix. That's it. I served it on toasted ciabatta baguette with sides of fried yellow potatoes and vegetable soup.

Round 2

I defrosted the other half of the yellowfin tuna steak and adjusted the recipe today. I made a coarser chop on the veggies to improve the crunch, replaced the capers with a squirt of balsamic vinegar and cut the mayo in half to give the ingredients a chance to shine. The result is the best tuna salad I can ever remember eating. This makes a great hors d' oeuvre on thin slices of toasted baguette or cracker as well as a great sandwich. Try it. You may never buy canned tuna again. :)

There is still time to enter this in the Mayonnaise recipe challenge.

CD:okay:

There is still time to enter this in the Mayonnaise recipe challenge.

CD:okay:
Thanks. Too late to take a photo of round two. We already ate it all. I tried to make an aioli from scratch for the challenge and it it didn't work out well so I didn't post it. Thanks too for inspiring me to make a tuna salad with hot pepper as an ingredient. It worked out really well. I may include some feta cheese in round 3. I also want to make a cod salad with the same approach. I have lots of cod in the freezer so it would be a trivial project. I have a little feta left in the fridge too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom