Your Favorite TV programs

I'm perplexed or just thick ? May I be so bold as to ask why.?

For starters I don't have a lot of patience for TV, or movies, I get easily bored. Reading is a more active activity for the mind since you have to imagine everything. On top of that I've read maybe 40 Agatha Christie books and I have a very clear idea of how characters look and sound and they look and sound different on the screen and I'm not having that.

We've got a BT Sport subscription, more by accident than design as they gave it to us for free when we signed up for their internet. They charge for it now, but it's still a reasonable price for what you get. We like watching German and French football.

Other than that, about all we ever watch is documentaries, mostly on BBC4. It really is an excellent channel, though there is a constant fear that it will be scrapped as the BBC makes yet more cuts. Their arts and history programmes are superb. Currently, there is a series called The Romantics (plenty of Blake, Shelley, etc.) and another one on the history of writing. This, to me, is what television should be about - entertaining, informative and educational.

We've got a BT Sport subscription, more by accident than design as they gave it to us for free when we signed up for their internet. They charge for it now, but it's still a reasonable price for what you get. We like watching German and French football.

Other than that, about all we ever watch is documentaries, mostly on BBC4. It really is an excellent channel, though there is a constant fear that it will be scrapped as the BBC makes yet more cuts. Their arts and history programmes are superb. Currently, there is a series called The Romantics (plenty of Blake, Shelley, etc.) and another one on the history of writing. This, to me, is what television should be about - entertaining, informative and educational.

That's why I love watching TV at my friends house in London. I watched a whole series on UK castles last time I was at my friend's house. We don't have any of those interesting BBC documentaries here in Portugal. Our public TV gives Big Brother and the closer to a proper history channel we have is The History Channel which is more about the history of aliens than anything else.

These are the ones I can think of off top (alpha order).

Angel
Cake Wars
Chopped
Chopped, Junior
Cupcake Wars
Designated Survivor
Doc Martin
Keeping Up Appearances
Law & Order
Miss Marple
Monk
Poirot
Psych
Rosemary and Thyme
The Good Doctor
The IT Crowd
The Office
Touch
Umbrella Academy
X-Files

There's a series on the National Geographic channel called Genius. The first season was about Albert Einstein. The second season was about Pablo Picasso. This season is about Aretha Franklin.

FqcGdeQXVyMTEyMjM2NDc2._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

The one thing that all 3 have in common was the absolute certainty in their abilities, and the drive to create greatness. This doesn't mean the path was smooth, which is part of what makes the storytelling so interesting.

I understand that the series has been renewed, and season 4 will be about Martin Luther King, which I'm sure will be remarkable. Unfortunately, the series has been bought by Disney+. Booooo!!!! I won't want to have to pay to watch this, but I probably will.

There's a series on the National Geographic channel called Genius. The first season was about Albert Einstein. The second season was about Pablo Picasso. This season is about Aretha Franklin.

View attachment 59829

The one thing that all 3 have in common was the absolute certainty in their abilities, and the drive to create greatness. This doesn't mean the path was smooth, which is part of what makes the storytelling so interesting.

I understand that the series has been renewed, and season 4 will be about Martin Luther King, which I'm sure will be remarkable. Unfortunately, the series has been bought by Disney+. Booooo!!!! I won't want to have to pay to watch this, but I probably will.

Aretha is on here as well.

Russ

Aretha is on here as well.

Russ
What's really stunning is that Cynthia Erivo, who plays her, is doing all the singing. Seriously. Aretha Franklin is probably the greatest singer who ever lived. Rolling Stone certainly thought so. And, Erivo displays the power and range that's so impressive, you would swear it was Aretha herself singing.

She also starred in the Harriet Tubman move, Harriet. What an amazingly talented woman.

What's really stunning is that Cynthia Erivo, who plays her, is doing all the singing. Seriously. Aretha Franklin is probably the greatest singer who ever lived. Rolling Stone certainly thought so. And, Erivo displays the power and range that's so impressive, you would swear it was Aretha herself singing.

My wife was in the record business, she will watch it here, I'm not big on Motown music so I prolly won't. Although the short clip,I saw there was marital violence by the look of it. I may watch???

I've been watching on a channel here called prime. The story of rock legends, just watched lynard skynard. I enjoyed that. But never was a fan. Go figure!

Russ

My wife was in the record business, she will watch it here, I'm not big on Motown music so I prolly won't. Although the short clip,I saw there was marital violence by the look of it. I may watch???

I've been watching on a channel here called prime. The story of rock legends, just watched lynard skynard. I enjoyed that. But never was a fan. Go figure!

Russ

All 3 seasons of Genius have blended in a good narrative to make it more interesting than reading a history book. You get to see the young geniuses as they develop, and they often go back and forth between childhood and adulthood. I certainly learned a few things about the background story that you didn't hear about when she was at her peak.

Back
Top Bottom