Your Favourite starch - and are you eating enough starch?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:33 PM
I was thinking I never had Yuca but it seems to be the same as cassava - which I did have long ago when I lived in London next door to an Afro Caribbean street market.

It is a variety of cassava. The Cubans and other Caribbean islands also have boniato and malanga. Green plantains are starchy, but if let ripen to mostly or all black skin, the starch turns to sugar and they become sweet.

According to the NHS:

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/starchy-foods-and-carbohydrates/

What is your favourite starchy food - rice, noodles, pasta, potatoes, cereals? Do they make up over a third of your diet?
I think, and hope that this NHS advice is out of date. Current guidelines are to limit consumption of processed white starch (white bread, rice and pasta) because it breaks down into sugar very quickly, and is one of the drivers behind Western obesity. Whole grain carbs are recommended instead.

I think, and hope that this NHS advice is out of date. Current guidelines are to limit consumption of processed white starch (white bread, rice and pasta) because it breaks down into sugar very quickly, and is one of the drivers behind Western obesity. Whole grain carbs are recommended instead.
It was last reviewed 31/03/2017. Next review due: 31/03/2020. I find most NHS advice on diet to be misleading. For example, sweet potatoes counts as one of your 5 a day but not ordinary potatoes!

Its a toss up between potatoes and pasta. I do like yuca, but Karen isn't fond of it.

Part of the reason I'm not fond of it is that it's hard to prep. Getting it peeled is a pain in and of itself. Then you have to cut it into halves and sometimes quarters depending on how big it is, and it's a HARD root vegetable so that's also fun. Then, when you think you are done, nope, got to clean out the stringy fibrous center, which makes for very unpleasant eating. You can buy it frozen, peeled and chunked, though you still have to clean the center as they don't do that for some reason.

Part of the reason I'm not fond of it is that it's hard to prep. Getting it peeled is a pain in and of itself. Then you have to cut it into halves and sometimes quarters depending on how big it is, and it's a HARD root vegetable so that's also fun. Then, when you think you are done, nope, got to clean out the stringy fibrous center, which makes for very unpleasant eating. You can buy it frozen, peeled and chunked, though you still have to clean the center as they don't do that for some reason.

You just put me off!

Stuffed Potato Patty is my favorite. But I always feel sleepy and lazy after taking heavy starchy food.

Back
Top Bottom