Your favourite type of chips (fries)

Skinny French fries, I prefer them crispy like alumettes. That's French for matchsticks, that's how thin they should ideally be.

Unfortunately I have a husband who prefers the thicker, softer kind of fries like Flemish fries so I often compromise on my own preference because having two bags of fries for two people seems decadent to me.

The most common type of fry where I live is quite similar to the British chips, just fried to a crispier consistency. And served with mayo.

(my own pic from a restaurant visit).

I definitely prefer British style chips (thick and chunky) over those skinny rat things you get in McDs, but I´ll eat any kind. Even game chips (without the game).

Tater tots? Yeah, they’re just little preformed nuggets of minced potato. If you don’t fry/bake them long enough, they’ll fall apart on you!
Actually, Professor Internet says they’re grated, not minced, but six of one, half-dozen of another - little bits of potato formed together.

I shall make some tonight and get you a pic of one mid-bake.

I make my own peeled and left in the sink with water. Then chip into 6 to 8 mm long then left in water again to remove a lot of starch. Fry in deep fried once then left to cool. Cook later when ready to serve. I like mine with aioli.

Russ

Never came across that! Its an interesting idea.

These fries come in several forms, they are called battered fries, coated fries or Cavendish fries. The coating may be a flour batter, a potato starch thin batter or mash. There are also beer battered fries or cajun battered fries.

I always thought they were mash all the way through. But we don't have them in the UK, so I was assuming.

Tater tots are like small barrels of shaped hash brown shredded potato. They are therefore, not minced, but shredded potato, packed into the barrel shapes. They are not coated or battered, but that is always possible, if one should want to do that.

I shall make some tonight and get you a pic of one mid-bake.
Get ready for more tater tot pics than you ever needed…or wanted:

First off, these are crispy crowns, but that just means they’re coin-shaped instead of cylinder-shaped.

The particulars.

Still frozen.

From the side.

Half-baked, when they’re very fragile. You can see the little bits, I think.

The finished product, with a smoked sausage (Queen City brand) and a dollop of sour cream.

N.B 'Chips' in the UK sense, which are known as 'fries' in America.

What are your favourite type? Do you go for skinny French fries or chunky steak cut? Maybe somewhere in between? What type of fat do you use to cook them?

My usual fries at home are Ore Ida Golden Fries. They are a medium size cut. I double fry them in peanut oil, first at 300F, then rest, and a second fry at 375F. They turn out nice and fluffy inside, and crispy on the outside.

Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 7.37.23 PM.jpg

CD

BTW, the absolute worst fries on the planet, IMO, are the waffle fries from Chic-fil-A. No seasoning added, they give you salt packets instead. Yeah, like salt is going to stick to cold fries. They have the taste and texture of cardboard. A perfect side for their "original" chicken sandwich, a small portion of greasy fired chicken breast, with three pickles, on a plain bun for close to four bucks.

CD

Back
Top Bottom