Your most hated part of cooking

To grate: reduce (something, especially food) to small shreds by rubbing it on a grater.
"peel and roughly grate the carrots"
To shred: tear or cut into shreds. "shredded cabbage"
Yeah, CD - I agree with you. Doesn´t matter too much as long as it tastes good!

I was doing a Google search and found this one:
View attachment 80012

My last bike (similar)

Russ

Thinking about the overall aim of my cooking and my desire to please all of the recipients of my endeavours , the thing I hate most is when people do a forensic examination of what I have prepared for them and ask irrelevant detailed questions about how it has been cooked. A typical example is my Jersey new potatoes which I cook firm, as instructed by a local chef during a past holiday in the Channel Islands, only for someone, usually a family member, to tell me their spuds are not cooked, and can I pop them in the microwave for a bit of extra cooking. Totally ruins the flavour and texture of these delightful little gems. I also like firm greens and carrots and not the sloppy mush served up in some cheap Sunday lunch establishments.

the thing I hate most is when people do a forensic examination of what I have prepared for them and ask irrelevant detailed questions about how it has been cooked
Sounds like my SIL. She´ll always ask me how everything was prepared (usually when I´ve got a mouthful), which is painfully ironic because she is one of the few people I know who has absolutely no idea whatsoever how to cook. She´s the one who asked "how much is a pinch of salt?" and "how do I unravel nests of tagliatelle".

Talking about your food being examined.. I've got two stepsons with autism, which causes sensory issues so often issues with food.

The youngest wants to learn to eat more foods, he says. But every time I cook he acts like he's got to eliminate the poison, and even if he likes something next time he might not. He liked potato gratin, until one day it was 'too much like potatoes' and those kinds of things he has all the time. I've tried it for two years, but I've given up because it causes me to get incredibly frustrated. I've told him to let his mom cook new foods for him. Which so far has meant that he's still eating the same stuff he always did and trying nothing new.

For some reason I do not enjoy peeling potatoes...and washing up greasy dishes...cutting up fish/meat...
Most dishes do not absolutely require peeled potatoes - I usually use gold potatoes anyway which are less prone to having obnoxious peels. And are very very edible. Cutting up meat or fish is easy (for me). I do have to agree about washing greasy dishes... bleh. Sticks forever to whatever thing you try to scrub them down with!

Most dishes do not absolutely require peeled potatoes - I usually use gold potatoes anyway which are less prone to having obnoxious peels. And are very very edible. Cutting up meat or fish is easy (for me). I do have to agree about washing greasy dishes... bleh. Sticks forever to whatever thing you try to scrub them down with!
That is true, well said. I boil potatoes in their skin. I am not sure what sort of potatoes those are, but the skin comes off so easy after the cooking. Lucky you. Fish, I do not think I will try, we are not as close to the sea coast, and I kind of fear the transportation and quality safety of the fish, I am sure it si fine, but it is also not very much in the tradition of what I ate. It was more of a delicacy, twice or thrice a year... I do like deep fried sardines, and no cleaning there, if they are sold cleaned, it is a bonus for me.

But meat, e.g. cutting a whole chicken into parts, is a skill I am exploring and trying to get better at, as we do eat chicken way more often than fish. Probably twice a month at least.

Yeah, I am so happy with my dishwasher, she just makes me exuberantly happy, and I thank her every time she does the dishes for me. Some I do, but I manage if I am not overwhelmed.

Hate most - clean up.
Adults with the palate of a 5 year old. My DIL. Add to that the agrevation of her being a drama queen. Her idea of fine dining is a hot dog on white bread with a slice of orange plastic that she calls cheese or boxed mac and cheese. She questions the ingredients in my dishes. She does not "DO" this or "DO" that. Hands tossed, head shaken, face grimace and tongue stuck out. 47 years old with a university education acting like a brain dead 13 year old drama queen.
The ginger in the gravy of my drunk pork roast is an inconspicuous Umai ingredient. The same thing with anchovies in a Putanesca Sauce. She does not DO vegetables in desert. Made faces, turned her nose up at the most fabulous carrot cake ever.
I pour my heart and soul into cooking for family and friends. First she has no reason to question my ingrredients - no food allergies. Second she can politely decline a dish. Her dramatics are both rude and offensive. Step Son loves my cooking. He has even learned a few things from his Wicked Step Mother.
After 30 + years I still have a problem with the disfunctional family dinamics of my husband's family.

Back
Top Bottom