Your most hated part of cooking

My experience having a flock of 20-40 chooks at anyone time is that it is down to the individual chook. Some drink too much water, some don't eat enough stones (stones help them digest what they eat). Sometimes chooks that are just starting to lay show this issue in their eggs, other times it's the much older retired birds. Some of my girls I know we simply can not peel their eggs at all, so I don't even try anymore. Their eggs are for cracking open raw and cooking out of the shell.

It really seems, as you say, to be a lottery.

The teaspoon technique does help but you still won't get it 'perfect'. But it doesn't leave quite such large chunks missing. Older eggs where the air sac is larger also tend to shell better as mentioned above. This is because the membrane has pulled away from the shell as the water content of the white has reduced. Shells are porous as I'm sure you know.

Otherwise all you can do is change your supplier when you know you want hard boiled eggs. We just put up with it and use the teaspoon method simply because we connect a dozen or so eggs everyday so buying them is pointless. I'm just very careful with which eggs we use from which of the chooks. I can identify about 75% if our eggs down to a specific bird. The rest I can only say down to a specific breed.
So if I ever find a stone in one of my eggs, I know where they came from, right?:laugh::laugh:

I'm just stubborn that way, I imagine everyone else just strips off whatever comes off easily, and if they want more, they just get more and strip those off, but I'm determined to impose my will on those thyme leaves!

Your future kitchen wardrobe...

1642213216450.jpeg

CD

Peeling eggs here too. I get hubby to do it & he’s pretty good at hard boiled but if I want under that it’s a lottery.

We used to have chooks (5) and always left the eggs out. Even with stupidmarket eggs I only refrigerate in summer.

Well, sure, but I need a little black one for evenings out.
I am not sure you should be going out dressed like that. :wink: How will you fend off the (unwanted) attention of all the lovely ladies who are fawning all over you? Or is that the idea?

Talk about shocker?!! I bought this item from Ebay. Wanted to keep from dragging out the large heavy food processor for just a few pieces of veggies to chop up. I found out that it's another pierce of junk!! It would spin the blades when empty. Put some food in it & the blades won't spin at all!! Nothing!! I ended up throwing it in trash!! Bought one of the pull-string choppers & it works fine!! You get what you pay for!!! :headshake::mad:

Talk about shocker?!! I bought this item from Ebay. Wanted to keep from dragging out the large heavy food processor for just a few pieces of veggies to chop up. I found out that it's another pierce of junk!! It would spin the blades when empty. Put some food in it & the blades won't spin at all!! Nothing!! I ended up throwing it in trash!! Bought one of the pull-string choppers & it works fine!! You get what you pay for!!! :headshake::mad:
View attachment 79993

I have the Cuisinart mini food processor in addition to the big one like you have. Works great!

CD

I have the Cuisinart mini food processor in addition to the big one like you have. Works great!

CD

Next time that I buy a food processor, it'll feature a small work bowl with it, so that I won't have to go through that again!!:headshake::mad:

Back
Top Bottom