Your most used spice/dried herb?

I've dried my own coriander leaf, basil leaf and parsley for "emergencies" but generally use fresh. I probably use more fresh coriander than anything else. Most used spice is chilli powder/flakes (either Thai or Kashmiri).

As GadgetGuy says, it's difficult to buy coriander in small quantities.

Cilantro is also hard to find in small quantities. :D

I dry my own oregano, and it retains its flavor, and some say it is stronger in flavor. Basil, on the other hand, has never worked out for me when I've dried it. It loses most of its flavor. I assume it is a difference in the amount of natural oils in the two.

I started using dried chilis to make my own chili powder blends a couple years ago, and now that's all I use.

CD

My most used herbs and spices are definitely garlic, chillies in various forms, and ginger.
Then in no particular order: cinnamon, paprika powder, oregano, basil, black pepper, vanilla and rosemary.
50679444_1853883401404881_2671739416417927168_n.jpg

I have two of these full racks in my kitchen.

Difficult one...
Most used is fresh garlic, chili, ginger, basil, mint.
But dried?
I think it is a toss up between oregano, paprika, coriander, cumin & turmeric. And a bit of home dried chili's.
I make a lot of garlic, onion, chili pastes and use those very often.

You can't buy just a little bit of this! You have to buy at least a bunch, & usually, it's just for one dish. To me, that's a waste also. Because it will have spoiled before I can get back to it!! :eek:
I turn the excess into salsa verde or a lime, garlic, green chilli & coriander chutney by blitzing it in the food processor.

This will be happy in a jar in the fridge for another 10 days.

I've dried my own coriander leaf, basil leaf and parsley for "emergencies" but generally use fresh. I probably use more fresh coriander than anything else. Most used spice is chilli powder/flakes (either Thai or Kashmiri).

As GadgetGuy says, it's difficult to buy coriander in small quantities.

Thanks. Maybe I'll buy another bunch, use some & then vacuum seal the rest & see how long it lasts. :unsure:

Thanks. Maybe I'll buy another bunch, use some & then vacuum seal the rest & see how long it lasts. :unsure:
Just freeze the stuff you don't use. Roll into a bag and freeze just as is. To use, cut off a slice of the roll, return rest to freezer and chop & add to whatever you're making. Saves wasting it. Works for fresh coriander, fresh parsley, mint and a few others where the stems are edible as well. Best for adding direct to dishes that are cooked though, not for that fresh herb look in a summer salad.

Just freeze the stuff you don't use. Roll into a bag and freeze just as is. To use, cut off a slice of the roll, return rest to freezer and chop & add to whatever you're making. Saves wasting it. Works for fresh coriander, fresh parsley, mint and a few others where the stems are edible as well. Best for adding direct to dishes that are cooked though, not for that fresh herb look in a summer salad.
Vacuum Seal Bags..jpg

I plan to use one of these ZipLoc-style vacuum seal bags to do that with. That way, I won't have to cut the bags open because they are all resealable. You just reseal & re-vacuum seal them again. I use these now to keep stuff fresh & safe. Cuts down drastically on food spoilage!! :whistling:

Last edited:
Speaking strictly of dried herbs, and not counting pepper (which goes in just about everything), I add dried thyme more often than anything else. There was a time when I'd have said dried pepper powder, such as cayenne or pepper seeds. But, as efficient as dried peppers are, I almost always add fresh peppers to a recipe when I want to add heat.

I would like to add cumin - particularly cumin seeds - to recipes more often than I do, but I get too many complaints from the rest of the household when I do. :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom