Your other hobbies.

Wyshiepoo

Veteran
Local time
6:20 AM
Hi all, thought I'd post a hobbies thread, the last one was last posted in over 2 years ago, so rather than drag up a zombie thread I thought I'd start anew. Obviously a post to showcase your other hobbies and hopefully post updates as you progress.

I'll start the ball rolling, one of my hobbies that I've fairly recently taken up again is role playing games. I'm currently working on the 2nd Edition D&D module A0 'Against the Slave Lords'.

I use Fantasy Grounds, an online platform as two of my players live in Cornwall and it's safer with Covid anyway.

The basic story of the module is that a short half-orc disguised as a dwarf has taken over the running of a lime stone mine/quarry near the village of Darkshelf. Business is (seemingly) booming, but the real story of the mines success is that the half orc is using the mining as a cover for a slaver operation.

The half orc has recruited some evil clerics to assist in the operation. These clerics are breeding a vicious type of monster called a Mud-Tiger. Some of these creatures have escaped and have savagely killed men and cattle along the river.

So my bold adventurers (I'm the Dungeon Master) have to find out about and stop the slaving operation and deal with the threat of the mud tigers.

All the maps are old black and white maps, I've managed to find some up to date colour maps online and I'm making my own for the rest using Campaign Cartographer.

Below is my (partially completed) map of the quarry area, the original was poor quality monochrome and not at all to scale. Mine not be 100% to scale but it's closer than the original. I still have some bits to do on the map.

I am running the campaign in early January so i need to get a crack on.

As I've probably mentioned too many times, I'm a musician in my other life. Did so semi-professionally for years, but due to the constraints of my current employer, that life has more or less ended, except for at home and an occasional appearance at a friend's coffeehouse or some such.

Other than that, I like to walk. I was walking a lot, holidays have slowed me down, but I'll be back at it soon enough.

I also like to travel, but as airport (and now entire country) restrictions get tighter and tighter, and I get older and crankier, the shine is going off that apple.

While Cooking is my primary hobby, I also enjoy fishing, kayaking, and photography. I used to combine those 3 and make kayak-fishing videos with my Gopro, but now I only go fishing a few times per year. I made a few YouTube cooking videos too, but the effort required undermines the enjoyment.

Like TastyReuben, if you had asked me 2 years ago I might have said traveling, but yeah, that ship has sailed/sunk...

I used to have plenty of active hobbies and interests, the more expensive being flying aircraft and photography, followed by travel by road to anywhere I had not been before. And this included also, hiking about by foot, once I got somewhere of interest. Aerospace, astrology, biology and anything natural and science inclusive rated and begged my attention. Geology and paleontology, especially, were big on my list and I collected fossils and minerals and visited and actively investigated rock formations, canyons, mountains, volcanoes, faults, etc.. Gardening exotic plants was a keen interest. Visual arts and writing will always be things I do. Cooking back then, was just something I did and not a serious interest type hobby or activity.

I have always placed great value on my intellectual, cognitive and spiritual presence of mind. And I have always sought to keep that healthy and feed those things with knowledge and insight, avoiding corrupting those things with destructive indulgences in reactive behavior, recreational alcohol and drugs. I have tried to understand people and their behaviors. Knowledge and personal insight sort of qualified as a hobby and interest.

Now, with my disability (and the pandemic), I don't get out much anymore, so my hobbies have dwindled to photography, visual arts, writing and cooking. But I maintain an info interest in those other things I used to actively pursue.

My value on my intellectual, cognitive and spiritual presence remains strong, as it always will. I can loose a leg, an arm or suffer this or that, but I dread the day that my mind might one day begin to fail me.

Last edited:
I've been camping since I was 12. In my 20s and 30s, I did mostly wilderness camping, often backpacking to the site. Then I shifted into tent camping from the car at State parks. In my 50s, I shifted to teardrop trailer camping. I haven't gone camping in about five years, but plan to start again in 2022.

CD

Last edited:
I'm now feeling distinctly hobbyless. :ohmy:
Me, too.

I'm pretty boring I guess but cooking and reading about food are my main hobbies.

Otherwise I also read lots, write poetry (won 3 contests already) , and sometimes draw or paint. I also meditate and do yoga. And I dabble in astrology, tarot, and herbology.
But I really spent sooooo much more time on food. It's a complete obsession.

Otherwise I also read lots, write poetry (won 3 contests already) , and sometimes draw or paint. I also meditate and do yoga. And I dabble in astrology, tarot, and herbology.
But I really spent sooooo much more time on food. It's a complete obsession.

Now I feel really hobbyless!

I used to write and read poetry. I used to play chess. I used to knit.

I'm learning to play bass guitar and as daft add it sounds, whisky is a hobby I have.
I used to collect marvel comics, still have a few thousand and i used to have one of the biggest tarantula/ scorpion/ mantis etc... collections in the uk.
Now that's down to 4 scorpions.

I'm learning to play bass guitar and as daft add it sounds, whisky is a hobby I have.
I used to collect marvel comics, still have a few thousand and i used to have one of the biggest tarantula/ scorpion/ mantis etc... collections in the uk.
Now that's down to 4 scorpions.
What happened to the tarantulas, did you eat them? Sorry, I am just kidding (though I did read/hear somewhere that they taste like crab. I think I also read that tarantulas are intelligent, is this true?

Now I feel really hobbyless!

I used to write and read poetry. I used to play chess. I used to knit.
Me too, MG, I wrote and read poetry, played chess, and knitted, but that was teens and 20s. I drew and painted as well. I also used to play guitar, piano, and sing in my 20s and 30s. I raised children in my 40s and early 50s. Now I cook, eat, work (a little) and fool around on the internet. Although drinking is still an interesting hobby!

What happened to the tarantulas, did you eat them? Sorry, I am just kidding (though I did read/hear somewhere that they taste like crab. I think I also read that tarantulas are intelligent, is this true?
I gave them away. It stopped being a hobby and turned into hard work. I had over 15000 spiders, plus scorpions, mantis, beetles, moths, centipedes, millipedes, cockroaches, etc...
I was spending 2 or 3 hours every day after work just feeding them. Never really got chance to look at them. Weekends were worse.
One Thursday I was feeding as normal, Friday I called my mate and Saturday I dropped everything off at her house.
That was about 10 years ago and just starting to get the itch again to get more.

They tasted like nothing really when I tried them.

They aren't intelligent, they are purely instinct. Their brain is actually a small nerve cluster in the abdomen.

Back
Top Bottom