Your other hobbies.

I was on a yarn dyeing course at the weekend. It was part of my birthday present from my OH.

The aim of this course was to make your own 5 skein fade set. (So 1 skein follows on to the next naturally). You took in an inspiration photo and worked from that.

20240323_144653.jpg

Waiting to have the dye fixed to the yarn.

My finished skeins, dried at home.

20240325_104512.jpg

I was on a yarn dyeing course at the weekend. It was part of my birthday present from my OH.

The aim of this course was to make your own 5 skein fade set. (So 1 skein follows on to the next naturally). You took in an inspiration photo and worked from that.

View attachment 111415
Waiting to have the dye fixed to the yarn.

My finished skeins, dried at home.

View attachment 111416
This sounds like so much fun, and the finished products are absolutely stunning!

Finished this today. It's my first large garment of stranded fair isle knitting. I've only done socks and 2 hats previously.

20240127_140028.jpg

But this vest has taken 1st prize in its category and has now gone on to the state CWA competition which means I won't see it again until the end of May at the earliest. So I'm now vestless for the start of winter :banghead: guess I'll just have to knit another one, :laugh:

20240326120430_001.jpg

Congratulations on both your placings SatNav!

I have to admit, when I saw the socks had taken third place, I was like “third, how on earth did those beautiful socks come in third?”

Then I scrolled down and was like “ah, that explains it!”

Congratulations on both your placings SatNav!

I have to admit, when I saw the socks had taken third place, I was like “third, how on earth did those beautiful socks come in third?”

Then I scrolled down and was like “ah, that explains it!”

You were robbed! :wink:

Congrats on both, wonderful work!

The categories are very broad.
Basically in knitting, unless you're over 80 yrs old and my body may think it is but can't prove it, anything knit in 5ply or thinner is in 1 category and anything knit in 6ply or thicker is in another. So my socks were against all other entries in lace weight, 2ply, light fingering (3ply), fingering or sock (4 ply) or sports weight (5ply).

There used to be a lot more categories, but in our area there was only 1 other person who knows socks so she always got first place because she was the only entrant. Nowadays 3rd place is much more respectable than it used to be and this is only the 3rd time I've entered.

Last year my shawl went on to state. This year it is my vest.

In late April my 92 year old Mother and my 84 year old Aunt are going on an overnight train trip from New Orleans to Washington D.C. They will be accompanied by my youngest Sister and my middle Brother. They will spend two nights in D.C. and return to New Orleans by train. A train trip is something Mother has always dreamed of doing. My Sister found little notes that Mother wrote about a train trip. She decided to make it happen.
That brings me to my current craft project. Small Travel Journals. My first task was to tea dye an assortment of paper. Done. I dried the tea bags to use both the dry tea and the bags to make faux homemade paper. That is tomorrow's project. Today I made paper fabric or is it fabric paper? Whatever. It is almost dry and looking good. I will use that to make pockets in the journals. I am using Domino Brown Sugar boxes for the covers. The journals will have dual signatures made from tea dyed paper. Brother's journal will have a faux leather cover. The other three will have faux handmade paper covers. Because the journals are very slim, I have to limit the embellishments. There will be pockets, a few journaling tags, some small pieces of decoupage.
It is easy to go overboard on embellishments. To avoid that I am making step by step process list for each journal.
Another project will be a travel journal for DIL. She is chaperoning a group of students on a trip to Rome in June.
It has been a few years since I have expressed my creativity in any way other than cooking. I am very jazzed. All of a sudden, my energy level has increased. I am out of bed arranging my material for the day's projects at 5 a.m.
I will share photos and progress.

In late April my 92 year old Mother and my 84 year old Aunt are going on an overnight train trip from New Orleans to Washington D.C. They will be accompanied by my youngest Sister and my middle Brother. They will spend two nights in D.C. and return to New Orleans by train. A train trip is something Mother has always dreamed of doing. My Sister found little notes that Mother wrote about a train trip. She decided to make it happen.
That brings me to my current craft project. Small Travel Journals. My first task was to tea dye an assortment of paper. Done. I dried the tea bags to use both the dry tea and the bags to make faux homemade paper. That is tomorrow's project. Today I made paper fabric or is it fabric paper? Whatever. It is almost dry and looking good. I will use that to make pockets in the journals. I am using Domino Brown Sugar boxes for the covers. The journals will have dual signatures made from tea dyed paper. Brother's journal will have a faux leather cover. The other three will have faux handmade paper covers. Because the journals are very slim, I have to limit the embellishments. There will be pockets, a few journaling tags, some small pieces of decoupage.
It is easy to go overboard on embellishments. To avoid that I am making step by step process list for each journal.
Another project will be a travel journal for DIL. She is chaperoning a group of students on a trip to Rome in June.
It has been a few years since I have expressed my creativity in any way other than cooking. I am very jazzed. All of a sudden, my energy level has increased. I am out of bed arranging my material for the day's projects at 5 a.m.
I will share photos and progress.
Looking forward to seeing this.
Can we have some photos of the various components before assembly along with the finished article?

Back
Top Bottom