Your personal peaceful corner

Beaches East of the Mississippi River Delta have white sand and blue/green water. All the silt coming from the Mississippi River goes West, which gives us brown sand and murky water.

I love all the brightly colored new homes on the Bolivar Peninsula (Galveston County). Just about every home was built after 2008, when Hurricane Ike wipe the whole peninsula away.
View attachment 58973
Yes, I realize why the water is that color (remember my parents met and married in Port Arthur which is near Galveston as you know). Keep in mind that the Neches river is also responsible for that silt and muddy water.

I still have family in the area. The photo view you posted is much nicer than when I saw it.

Both hurricanes Ike and Harvey flooded one of my cousin's house (Bridge City). That was the third time her home on Cow Bayou got flooded in the past 25 years.

The one in Florida where I grew up scuba diving, snorkeling, fishing, water skiing, etc. I have been to many beaches in my life in Mexico, California, several states on the Atlantic Ocean side of the US, and in Canada. I have also visited all 5 of the Great Lakes.

Sometimes people don't realize how wonderful they have it and take the natural beauty around them for granted. If I had to give another beach a close rating to Destin, Florida where I lived and was raised for most of my life, I would say that Cozumel, Mexico and Cancun, Mexico are the best. But not quite as good as the beach where I lived.

But I have never been to Europe or Asia, and I hear that the beaches there are fabulous in some areas! I have heard that Italy has beaches that are spectacular, also that Croatia has some very nice beaches. Also I hear great things about Costa Rica and the US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico, and the Turks and Caicos, and many others I have never had the privilege to visit. After COVID-19 is under control I would like to travel again. I am afraid if I go to Italy I would never leave, though. I would probably eat my way through the country and be in a food coma so I would miss my flight :laugh:

My nephew and his wife are being transferred from Dubai to Vietnam (his wife is a German diplomat, he is an American "house husband"). I hear both Thailand and Vietnam have some lovely beaches, so maybe I will get a chance to visit them at their next post.

Edited to add that Morning Glory just posted a lovely photo of the beach near where she lives. So many beaches, so little time, sigh.

Spain's Costa del Sol has volcanic sand. It is very course, and grey/black.

Puerto Rico has great beaches, as do the Virgin islands. My parents lived in Puerto Rico for three years when I was in college, and I spent as much time there as possible, much of it on the beach.

The beaches in Cabo San Lucas where pretty, but the rip currents were pretty bad on the Pacific side.

CD

Yes, I realize why the water is that color (remember my parents met and married in Port Arthur which is near Galveston as you know).

I mentioned it for the benefit of those who do NOT know.

CD

That is so kind of you, thank you!! Benissimo!! Let us keep in touch. Lovely, I hope you have good memories of Zagreb😄...I love travel. I do feel a little tired but I hope summer will bring less Covid and more ease of travel and life...I would really like to travel very leggiero, minimal stress, good beds, good food, not long hours of traffic, nice nature and nice friends to socialize😁🍀

Definitely good memories of Zagabria. I have been to KRK Island and Punat and it was time to visit Zagreb too.

Oh yes! You are so right! Sorry. You help me get around the site better, thanks! Never been to the UK yet. I had an acquaintance from Bristol, I still have the beautiful ceramic baking tray he gave me...Kent is a complete unknown territory to me, but will Google. I am curious!

No problem. The other useful thing is to look under members' icons to see what the local time is in their country.

To me it’s a special peaceful corner with two of my fave illustrated books - Edward Hopper and François Truffaut.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom