Your personal peaceful corner

I'm missing something here, I looked up,to see where you were, I thought Cali? Then see a ref to mg. ? Sorry this is very cryptic??

Russ
I'm retired and travel over 10.000 miles a year. We're everywhere,
In Arizona this time tomorrow.

OOOOOh thank you very much! Your words are so nice. Grazie mille! So did you grow up at the Italian seaside?

Prego! :)

I didn’t grew up at the Italian seaside as I would have liked - I mean everyday, because although my origins come from the sea, Sardinia and Puglia, I was born and raised in Milano - haha, can you imagine something more far from the sea? Life is funny. However, every summer and holidays in general, I spent them (and still do) both in Sardinia and Puglia with my family.
Then I got married to a Roman man with the sea in his veins: a sailor.

I didn’t grew up at the Italian seaside as I would have liked - I mean everyday, because although my origins come from the sea: Sardinia and Puglia. I was born and raised in Milano - haha, can you imagine something more far from the sea? Life is funny. However, every summer and holidays in general, I spent them (and still do) both in Sardinia and Puglia with my family.

Um, yes. Milano to the sea -- 146KM/90Miles. Frisco, TX to the sea -- 317Miles/510KM.

CD

I know. I just wish I lived that close to the sea. I'd be there at least once a month.

CD

I often go to Liguria, I have friends in Genova and in Cinque Terre area, this calms down a bit the need to stay by the sea. However, you can’t even image (or maybe yes) the traffic to go and mostly to come back from Liguria because all Piedmont and all Lombardy moved to it during weekend. Stuck into traffic for hours, especially when the only days available are Saturday and Sunday.
I am lucky enough though to have Como Lake just half an hour drive from here. It’s not like the sea but it’s lovely anyway.

Last edited:
I know. I just wish I lived that close to the sea. I'd be there at least once a month.

CD
It's unfortunate that Texas beaches are so unappealing. I grew up on the panhandle of Florida on the Gulf of Mexico. My beaches looked like this:

I was shocked when visiting family in SE Texas and we drove to Galveston. I couldn't believe it was a Gulf of Mexico beach, brown water and brown sand. Very disappointing.

Edited to add the photo of Galveston, TX beach:
1615485191490.png

1615485295218.png

Last edited:

I didn’t grew up at the Italian seaside as I would have liked - I mean everyday, because although my origins come from the sea, Sardinia and Puglia, I was born and raised in Milano - haha, can you imagine something more far from the sea? Life is funny. However, every summer and holidays in general, I spent them (and still do) both in Sardinia and Puglia with my family.
That is so interesting! The sea calling you, it really has magic in it...thank you for sharing! What would be a wonderful beach to recommend in those regions?

It's unfortunate that Texas beaches are so unappealing. I grew up on the panhandle of Florida on the Gulf of Mexico. My beaches looked like this:
View attachment 58915
View attachment 58916
I was shocked when visiting family in SE Texas and we drove to Galveston. I couldn't believe it was a Gulf of Mexico beach, brown water and brown sand. Very disappointing.
I do not find this beach unattractive, it is white sand and turqoise sea. To me it looks very nice. But I never swam in the icean, so I may be ignorant...I assume there are palm trees or other vegetation behind the person taking picture? I think it depends what you personally like or expect...what would you prefer?

I do not find this beach unattractive, it is white sand and turqoise sea. To me it looks very nice. But I never swam in the icean, so I may be ignorant...I assume there are palm trees or other vegetation behind the person taking picture? I think it depends what you personally like or expect...what would you prefer?
No, both photos in my previous post are of "my" beach in Florida and it is beautiful. There are palm trees in other areas nearby but not so close to the beach. I took the photos myself. There are dunes and sea oats behind where I was standing.

It's the Galveston beaches in Texas I was referring to as being unattractive:

1615485332615.png

Last edited:
That is so interesting! The sea calling you, it really has magic in it...thank you for sharing! What would be a wonderful beach to recommend in those regions?

I am definitely more familiar with Sardinia, Tuscany and Lazio.

I'll start by telling you that in Sardinia there are kilometres of unspoilt free beaches where there are few people even in August, which is good. I prefer South Sardinia because it is the wildest, the nature is unashamedly beautiful.
If you happen to go there, there are corners that are as evocative as they are peaceful.
Scivu beach is my favourite, then there are the white dunes of Porto Pino, Porto Paglia, or even Porto Giunco in the south-east, near Villasimius, where there is practically a forest of eucalyptus trees, a very long coastline of light-coloured sand and a pond with pink flamingos that have chosen it as their habitat.
But there are many more!

No, both photos in my previous post are of "my" beach in Florida and it is beautiful. There are palm trees in other areas nearby but not so close to the beach. I took the photos myself. There are dunes and sea oats behind where I was standing.

It's the Galveston beaches in Texas I was referring to as being unattractive:

View attachment 58952
Oooh now I get it! Sorry, my mistake, I missunderstood...Galveston...how interesting to look at..my first...well...the sand colour is as it is I suppose, but if the water is brown, it could feel demotivating to swim in it, I agree on that...is it clean though? No broken glass, garbage etc? How is the patch of ocean for swimming?

Oooh now I get it! Sorry, my mistake, I missunderstood...Galveston...how interesting to look at..my first...well...the sand colour is as it is I suppose, but if the water is brown, it could feel demotivating to swim in it, I agree on that...is it clean though? No broken glass, garbage etc? How is the patch of ocean for swimming?
The photos look better than it did in person, it is much uglier in real life. The water was the color of mud and you could not see through it. I would not swim in it, I wouldn't even walk directly on the sand. There was no garbage or glass, though. Just ugly water and sand.

I am definitely more familiar with Sardinia, Tuscany and Lazio.

I'll start by telling you that in Sardinia there are kilometres of unspoilt free beaches where there are few people even in August, which is good. I prefer South Sardinia because it is the wildest, the nature is unashamedly beautiful.
If you happen to go there, there are corners that are as evocative as they are peaceful.
Scivu beach is my favourite, then there are the white dunes of Porto Pino, Porto Paglia, or even Porto Giunco in the south-east, near Villasimius, where there is practically a forest of eucalyptus trees, a very long coastline of light-coloured sand and a pond with pink flamingos that have chosen it as their habitat.
But there are many more!
That is such a great tip, thank you! Sounds awesome...many years ago I explored accomodation and travel to visit Sicily, which is probably vastly different and nice in its own way. I did not go there yet. But Sardinia sounds amazing. I will keep your recommendations! It is precious to get them from an insider! One year we went to Torino in winter, interesting city! But I am a spring and summer or autumn person, so will try to time the next travel thus...I would love to visit Firenza and Tuscany too! Cinque terre are fascinating, friends visited!

Back
Top Bottom