Your personal peaceful corner

Well, not mine personal peaceful corner but it’s about someone else....

Caretta-caretta turtle eggs will stay safe and protected

View attachment 45430

View attachment 45431
That is why in NW Florida where I used to live, they have protected beaches that are national parks and it is forbidden to drive on the beach there. I remember visiting Daytona and Fort Lauderdale over on the Atlantic side of Florida and being shocked that they allowed people to drive up and down the beach.

Edited to add that it's not just for the sea turtles, it's also to protect the dunes and beach erosion.

Having lived for so long in California where beaches are public property and very little of the California coastline is privately owned, that I was shocked when I lived in Connecticut to find that most of the coastline was privately owned and very little of it was public.

I know nothing about the areas you visit that are not National Parks, but I know that not everyone is as kind to the environment as you and your groups. I have been in the desert a few times out in California when visiting friends in San Diego and seen trash and debris left by people out in remote areas. At least in the parks they have people to clean up after thoughtless and careless folks. I do know that conservation groups like the Sierra Club and some indigenous peoples are often trying to restrict access to areas to prevent people from trashing it. Maybe that's what is going on in your area, who knows.
Sorry to insert on an older post, but recently I got out during my lunch break for a short walk near my workplace on a little hill, and there is a tiny forest there, beautiful little houses, vineyards, and I could not notice the plastic waste being thrown on the street, close to the forest. I cannot understand people could do such a thing, throwing plastic coffee cups or wrapping plastic or anything just there in the nature on on the street, I wish the sanitary guards were more present, however i am aware that much of this starts at home, and how one has been raised...and that is a much wider problem, not that easy to address to 98% efficiency...that is only a tiny fraction of many other and graver problems, but still, I felt uncomfortable seeing that...
I did join a volunteering cleaning action some years ago, with my daughter, and we gathered plastic waste along the river Kupa, horrific amounts and items found and collected...

Having lived for so long in California where beaches are public property and very little of the California coastline is privately owned, that I was shocked when I lived in Connecticut to find that most of the coastline was privately owned and very little of it was public.
I understand what you are saying, it happens along the Croatian seaside too...I haven't thought about it a lot, but theere are surely issues to consider...

Sorry to insert on an older post, but recently I got out during my lunch break for a short walk near my workplace on a little hill, and there is a tiny forest there, beautiful little houses, vineyards, and I could not notice the plastic waste being thrown on the street, close to the forest. I cannot understand people could do such a thing, throwing plastic coffee cups or wrapping plastic or anything just there in the nature on on the street, I wish the sanitary guards were more present, however i am aware that much of this starts at home, and how one has been raised...and that is a much wider problem, not that easy to address to 98% efficiency...that is only a tiny fraction of many other and graver problems, but still, I felt uncomfortable seeing that...
I did join a volunteering cleaning action some years ago, with my daughter, and we gathered plastic waste along the river Kupa, horrific amounts and items found and collected...
I wanted to leave a sad face, a shocked face, and a love face. It's wonderful when people take initiative like cleaning up after humans to make the planet a better place. I commend you for that!

I wanted to leave a sad face, a shocked face, and a love face. It's wonderful when people take initiative like cleaning up after humans to make the planet a better place. I commend you for that!
Oh it is much appreciated, thank youuu! I agree, I thought that was a great initiative, so we gladly supported it! We still remember it from time to time.

That is why in NW Florida where I used to live, they have protected beaches that are national parks and it is forbidden to drive on the beach there. I remember visiting Daytona and Fort Lauderdale over on the Atlantic side of Florida and being shocked that they allowed people to drive up and down the beach.

Edited to add that it's not just for the sea turtles, it's also to protect the dunes and beach erosion.

Yes this happens here as well even if not for all the Italian beaches. The most protected, dunes and beach erosion, are in Sardinia, Lazio and other few regions like Tuscany and Sicily

I can relate to that! My father was a Colonel in the AF and he flew planes until he retired. We always lived close to an AF base. There is something comforting to me about the sound of a plane taking off. I remember lazy summer days sitting around with my friends on a grassy area on base and watching the planes and hearing that sound.

There was also an airstrip (still is there) at Hurlburt AF base in Florida where I lived where planes had to pass over the highway before landing on the air strip. The planes are very close to the road as they near the runway, of course. One of my favorite things was driving down the highway and timing it just right so that the plane passed over my car when I drove past the runway.
What a cool experience to drive under a plance! Fascinating! My respect to your father. I am fascinated by planes and pilots, it is such an admirable job and skillset and amazing machines, a way of life...Both you and MypinchofItaly got me reflecting on both a peaceful corner and planes...well, I guess I love my evergreen in front of my kitchen and main room window, looking at it or at the sky above it does it for me (with coffee or tea when it is not a rushing day), there are birds sparrows or so landing on it at times, sweet, of course the street is right there so there are people walking by too, and then nearby there is a pretty little lake that I run and walk around, most often I'd have my earphones on and just inhale the air, look what is around in the nature surrounding it...

Planes, aah, I think I could watch them for hours, I never did though in person... there was a period I watched a zillion yt videos on aircrafts landing and taking off of aircraft carriers, oh my Goodness, such precision, such skill, such organization around it, mindblowing...

Planes, aah, I think I could watch them for hours, I never did though in person... there was a period I watched a zillion yt videos on aircrafts landing and taking off of aircraft carriers, oh my Goodness, such precision, such skill, such organization around it, mindblowing...
One of my older sister's ex-husbands (she was married 5 times, LOL) was in the Navy. He was stationed on an aircraft carrier that docked at Barrancas Naval Air Station in Pensacola, Florida (about 30 miles from my home). I remember I was about 14 years old when they had "family day" and all of the enlisted men were allowed to bring their family members out for an excursion to sea, and my brother and I were invited to go. We went far out in the Gulf of Mexico. They had planes taking off and landing for us to watch during training exercises. It was soooo loud! It was very fascinating indeed, yes, great precision and skill. I had never been on a ship that big before. I had been on many fishing boats but never on a large military vessel like that aircraft carrier, it was a special time for me.

What a cool experience to drive under a plance! Fascinating! My respect to your father. I am fascinated by planes and pilots, it is such an admirable job and skillset and amazing machines, a way of life...Both you and MypinchofItaly got me reflecting on both a peaceful corner and planes...well, I guess I love my evergreen in front of my kitchen and main room window, looking at it or at the sky above it does it for me (with coffee or tea when it is not a rushing day), there are birds sparrows or so landing on it at times, sweet, of course the street is right there so there are people walking by too, and then nearby there is a pretty little lake that I run and walk around, most often I'd have my earphones on and just inhale the air, look what is around in the nature surrounding it...View attachment 58903

Your peaceful corner is breathtaking. I am surrounded by countryside which I love, but the sea is just under my skin.

One of my older sister's ex-husbands (she was married 5 times, LOL) was in the Navy. He was stationed on an aircraft carrier that docked at Barrancas Naval Air Station in Pensacola, Florida (about 30 miles from my home). I remember I was about 14 years old when they had "family day" and all of the enlisted men were allowed to bring their family members out for an excursion to sea, and my brother and I were invited to go. We went far out in the Gulf of Mexico. They had planes taking off and landing for us to watch during training exercises. It was soooo loud! It was very fascinating indeed, yes, great precision and skill. I had never been on a ship that big before. I had been on many fishing boats but never on a large military vessel like that aircraft carrier, it was a special time for me.
5 times! Oh that is so coool! That gives hope to those of us who have been married only once and are no longer...Now that is an experience, wowwww, thanks for sharing! I read it with my air intake suspended not to miss out on any words! Is it really that loud? My Goodness! That's why they have those protective earphones. I am smiling as I always muted the sound, and that is soooo not how it is in person...oh yes, those are huge, rarely anyone can imagine without whitnessing one...me neither, so far... I have been on a regular passenger ship, and some smaller ships, but that is it...You went far out? Possibly that is where it was allowed for the planes to zoom out and back in...wowww...
There was a military show 2 y ago in my city, actually on the shores of that lake pictured ...and they had a plane simulator, like the steering wheel, but it was only for high schoolers...my kid was too young then, and I was way over teen...I sooo sooo wanted to try it... I hope I will get a second chance anytime in the future....

Good question. We rarely, mostly never visit National Parks so you got me on that one. We hear closures are when a radical Park Service supervisor gets in charge in an area they'll start shutting down access and campsites for any reason they can pull out of the air. At some point the constitution kicks in and they get reopened.

Non National Park service Desert areas closed before and with no relation to the Covid. Political Extremists need something to hate on. We've, that is our off road groups, managed to get some reopened through lawsuits. It's a long, expensive process.

Coming off a red card suspension I'm posting under a yellow card so I must digress from this thread.

I'm missing something here, I looked up,to see where you were, I thought Cali? Then see a ref to mg. ? Sorry this is very cryptic??

Russ

This might sounds weird, but one of my fave peaceful corners is going to Malpensa airport sometimes, staying outside just in front of the aircrafts take-off runaway and looking at the airplanes taking off.

It's a day out here for some people, I used to drive past our airport through a short cut, driving past all these random cars parked up watching planes.

Russ

I know nothing about the areas you visit that are not National Parks, but I know that not everyone is as kind to the environment as you and your groups. I have been in the desert a few times out in California when visiting friends in San Diego and seen trash and debris left by people out in remote areas. At least in the parks they have people to clean up after thoughtless and careless folks. I do know that conservation groups like the Sierra Club and some indigenous peoples are often trying to restrict access to areas to prevent people from trashing it. Maybe that's what is going on in your area, who knows.
That's not a problem. Most, practically all people are very conscientious. Lawyers drive the radicals, lawsuit fly money changes hands.

Back
Top Bottom