Your personal peaceful corner

The photos look better than it did in person, it is much uglier in real life. The water was the color of mud and you could not see through it. I would not swim in it, I wouldn't even walk directly on the sand. There was no garbage or glass, though. Just ugly water and sand.
Ok, yes, I think one has to go with the gut feeling in this case. I would not either, possibly. I never swam in that lake in my corner, It is supposedly very clean, upkept, my kid swam, was fine, but I do not feel at ease with the water sitting there for so many years...it is an artificial lake, I prefer the seaside...but I love it for other activities...what would be THE best beach ever to you? Anywhere...

That is such a great tip, thank you! Sounds awesome...many years ago I explored accomodation and travel to visit Sicily, which is probably vastly different and nice in its own way. I did not go there yet. But Sardinia sounds amazing. I will keep your recommendations! It is precious to get them from an insider! One year we went to Torino in winter, interesting city! But I am a spring and summer or autumn person, so will try to time the next travel thus...I would love to visit Firenza and Tuscany too! Cinque terre are fascinating, friends visited!

I've never even been to Sicily yet. I have a friend who has been asking me to visit her in the summer for years, but I can't resist going back to Sardinia! And she visits me there. But sooner or later I will visit Sicily because, as you say, it must be beautiful and rich in history.
When you go to Firenze I'll be happy to give you some directions, and the same goes for the rest of Tuscany, which I know very well. True, the Cinque Terre are extraordinary, it's a pity that they are a bit expensive (as is the whole of Liguria), so the corner of peace becomes the corner of the bank account, but they are worth a visit.
Turin is a city I am very fond of, it is considered a bit old-style, but I like it a lot.

If you want advice on Sardinia, I'm here.

On the other hand, I was in your city Zagabria many years ago. I still remember it, beautiful, so interesting.

I know. I just wish I lived that close to the sea. I'd be there at least once a month.

CD

I'm much closer to the sea here but don't go as often as I'd like because it involves driving which to me is not relaxing if I have to drive there and back in one day. Right now we are in lockdown so no unnecessary travel anyway. I suppose I'm under 30 miles from the coast.

Ramsgate:

I've never even been to Sicily yet. I have a friend who has been asking me to visit her in the summer for years, but I can't resist going back to Sardinia! And she visits me there. But sooner or later I will visit Sicily because, as you say, it must be beautiful and rich in history.
When you go to Firenze I'll be happy to give you some directions, and the same goes for the rest of Tuscany, which I know very well. True, the Cinque Terre are extraordinary, it's a pity that they are a bit expensive (as is the whole of Liguria), so the corner of peace becomes the corner of the bank account, but they are worth a visit.
Turin is a city I am very fond of, it is considered a bit old-style, but I like it a lot.

If you want advice on Sardinia, I'm here.

On the other hand, I was in your city Zagabria many years ago. I still remember it, beautiful, so interesting.
That is so kind of you, thank you!! Benissimo!! Let us keep in touch. Lovely, I hope you have good memories of Zagreb😄...I love travel. I do feel a little tired but I hope summer will bring less Covid and more ease of travel and life...I would really like to travel very leggiero, minimal stress, good beds, good food, not long hours of traffic, nice nature and nice friends to socialize😁🍀

Look at the location under my avatar! Maidstone, Kent UK.
Oh yes! You are so right! Sorry. You help me get around the site better, thanks! Never been to the UK yet. I had an acquaintance from Bristol, I still have the beautiful ceramic baking tray he gave me...Kent is a complete unknown territory to me, but will Google. I am curious!

Ok, yes, I think one has to go with the gut feeling in this case. I would not either, possibly. I never swam in that lake in my corner, It is supposedly very clean, upkept, my kid swam, was fine, but I do not feel at ease with the water sitting there for so many years...it is an artificial lake, I prefer the seaside...but I love it for other activities...what would be THE best beach ever to you? Anywhere...
The one in Florida where I grew up scuba diving, snorkeling, fishing, water skiing, etc. I have been to many beaches in my life in Mexico, California, several states on the Atlantic Ocean side of the US, and in Canada. I have also visited all 5 of the Great Lakes.

Sometimes people don't realize how wonderful they have it and take the natural beauty around them for granted. If I had to give another beach a close rating to Destin, Florida where I lived and was raised for most of my life, I would say that Cozumel, Mexico and Cancun, Mexico are the best. But not quite as good as the beach where I lived.

But I have never been to Europe or Asia, and I hear that the beaches there are fabulous in some areas! I have heard that Italy has beaches that are spectacular, also that Croatia has some very nice beaches. Also I hear great things about Costa Rica and the US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico, and the Turks and Caicos, and many others I have never had the privilege to visit. After COVID-19 is under control I would like to travel again. I am afraid if I go to Italy I would never leave, though. I would probably eat my way through the country and be in a food coma so I would miss my flight :laugh:

My nephew and his wife are being transferred from Dubai to Vietnam (his wife is a German diplomat, he is an American "house husband"). I hear both Thailand and Vietnam have some lovely beaches, so maybe I will get a chance to visit them at their next post.

Edited to add that Morning Glory just posted a lovely photo of the beach near where she lives. So many beaches, so little time, sigh.

That looks absolutely gorgeous. The intensity of the blue sky, the wawes...oh...beautiful. While train commuting I googled Kent...wonderful region! But it will take more time to get deeper and remember some facts and castles and places... I picked up an immediate favourite though...Sissinghurst Castle Garden...

I know. I just wish I lived that close to the sea. I'd be there at least once a month.

CD

We are 25 mins by car to the beach. Quite often we will take the grandkids and pick up fish n chips are park up at the beach, eating in the back of my station wagon. And feeding the seagulls, the kids love that.

Russ

The one in Florida where I grew up scuba diving, snorkeling, fishing, water skiing, etc. I have been to many beaches in my life in Mexico, California, several states on the Atlantic Ocean side of the US, and in Canada. I have also visited all 5 of the Great Lakes.

Sometimes people don't realize how wonderful they have it and take the natural beauty around them for granted. If I had to give another beach a close rating to Destin, Florida where I lived and was raised for most of my life, I would say that Cozumel, Mexico and Cancun, Mexico are the best. But not quite as good as the beach where I lived.

But I have never been to Europe or Asia, and I hear that the beaches there are fabulous in some areas! I have heard that Italy has beaches that are spectacular, also that Croatia has some very nice beaches. Also I hear great things about Costa Rica and the US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico, and the Turks and Caicos, and many others I have never had the privilege to visit. After COVID-19 is under control I would like to travel again. I am afraid if I go to Italy I would never leave, though. I would probably eat my way through the country and be in a food coma so I would miss my flight :laugh:

My nephew and his wife are being transferred from Dubai to Vietnam (his wife is a German diplomat, he is an American "house husband"). I hear both Thailand and Vietnam have some lovely beaches, so maybe I will get a chance to visit them at their next post.

Edited to add that Morning Glory just posted a lovely photo of the beach near where she lives. So many beaches, so little time, sigh.

The beaches at Kuta in Bali are some of the best. But my fave is rabbit island Nelson. Have a look if you have time. We are there every day when up there on holiday. BBQ gas fired meals on the beach, it's awesome.

Russ

Oh that sounds awesome, what an active childhood! I will note the Florida beach you grew up on...thanks for sharing, I live the personal touch to it. It meant and means a lot to you. I mean for sure, there are many exqusit beaches all over the world...I have heard of Cancun and Puerto Rico being praised highly...
Lol food coma😂...that is the funniest compliment to the mastery of Italian cooking I have ever heard!

A house husband is a first, nice! Oh definitely Thailand, never been but praise all over...

I have not found my favourite beach yet...in Croatia or abroad...but there were a few special ones...for various reasons, be it the city behind it ( Barcelona in early April many years ago), or the mountain behind it ( Makarska) or the sand Golden Sands in Bulgaria), or a windy day on Krk island...there is such variety...and beauty...

Here is Krk:

It's unfortunate that Texas beaches are so unappealing. I grew up on the panhandle of Florida on the Gulf of Mexico. My beaches looked like this:
View attachment 58915
View attachment 58916
I was shocked when visiting family in SE Texas and we drove to Galveston. I couldn't believe it was a Gulf of Mexico beach, brown water and brown sand. Very disappointing.

Edited to add the photo of Galveston, TX beach:
View attachment 58954
View attachment 58955

Beaches East of the Mississippi River Delta have white sand and blue/green water. All the silt coming from the Mississippi River goes West, which gives us brown sand and murky water.

I love all the brightly colored new homes on the Bolivar Peninsula (Galveston County). Just about every home was built after 2008, when Hurricane Ike wiped the whole peninsula away.
Unknown-3.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom