Your personal peaceful corner

That’s another little peaceful corner of my terrace where I am sipping right now my first coffee of the day

Nature does it for me. We don't need to go far to find something of interest. There's always a few birds around and being on the coast, we have seabirds as well as woodland/garden birds. There are quite a few seals around as well. There's always something to see and if you're lucky enough to spot something a bit unusual, it definitely lifts the spirits.

Nature does it for me. We don't need to go far to find something of interest. There's always a few birds around and being on the coast, we have seabirds as well as woodland/garden birds. There are quite a few seals around as well. There's always something to see and if you're lucky enough to spot something a bit unusual, it definitely lifts the spirits.

Sounds such a very nice peaceful corner

I feel the same being surrounded by the countryside. Always the same, never the same

Ya but when they hatch and the little ones start making tracks for the water, the seabirds will be in full force.
Because of my Godsons research and going with him to south west India I know a bit about them. Turtles take a few days to dig themselves out after hatching, they seem to know to appear at night when predators are fewer. Night is also required for them to find the sea. ie because of reflections of the moon and stars on the water. The problem with India was new hotels built inland behind the nesting sites. Their lights attracted the baby turtles to head inland to their death. Jakes short term solution was to anchor small boats just off the beaches with strobe like lights on them. It was very successful.

Last edited:
There's a spot out in the Mojave desert that we call tranquility base. We RV camp there and it's soul soothing.
It's terrain is an optical illusion to people off in the distance. They don't realize it's there so it's always available.
Unfortunately the current political culture is shutting down access to wonderful places like this. Keeping it from the people, not for the people.

There's a spot out in the Mojave desert that we call tranquility base. We RV camp there and it's soul soothing.
It's terrain is an optical illusion to people off in the distance. They don't realize it's there so it's always available.
Unfortunately the current political culture is shutting down access to wonderful places like this. Keeping it from the people, not for the people.
Some national park areas have been shut down due to Covid-19. What the heck has that got to do with politics?

Some national park areas have been shut down due to Covid-19. What the heck has that got to do with politics?
Good question. We rarely, mostly never visit National Parks so you got me on that one. We hear closures are when a radical Park Service supervisor gets in charge in an area they'll start shutting down access and campsites for any reason they can pull out of the air. At some point the constitution kicks in and they get reopened.

Non National Park service Desert areas closed before and with no relation to the Covid. Political Extremists need something to hate on. We've, that is our off road groups, managed to get some reopened through lawsuits. It's a long, expensive process.

Coming off a red card suspension I'm posting under a yellow card so I must digress from this thread.

Last edited:
Because of my Godsons research and going with him to south west India I know a bit about them. Turtles take a few days to dig themselves out after hatching, they seem to know to appear at night when predators are fewer. Night is also required for them to find the sea. ie because of reflections of the moon and stars on the water. The problem with India was new hotels built inland behind the nesting sites. Their lights attracted the baby turtles to head inland to their death. Jakes short term solution was to anchor small boats just off the beaches with strobe like lights on them. It was very successful.
Solar generating stations in the desert are annihilating the turtles habitats out here.

Good question. We rarely, mostly never visit National Parks so you got me on that one. We hear closures are when a radical Park Service supervisor gets in charge in an area they'll start shutting down access and campsites for any reason they can pull out of the air. At some point the constitution kicks in and they get reopened.

Non National Park service Desert areas closed before and with no relation to the Covid. Political Extremists need something to hate on. We've, that is our off road groups, managed to get some reopened through lawsuits. It's a long, expensive process.

Coming off a red card suspension I'm posting under a yellow card so I must digress from this thread.
I know nothing about the areas you visit that are not National Parks, but I know that not everyone is as kind to the environment as you and your groups. I have been in the desert a few times out in California when visiting friends in San Diego and seen trash and debris left by people out in remote areas. At least in the parks they have people to clean up after thoughtless and careless folks. I do know that conservation groups like the Sierra Club and some indigenous peoples are often trying to restrict access to areas to prevent people from trashing it. Maybe that's what is going on in your area, who knows.

This might sounds weird, but one of my fave peaceful corners is going to Malpensa airport sometimes, staying outside just in front of the aircrafts take-off runaway and looking at the airplanes taking off.
I can relate to that! My father was a Colonel in the AF and he flew planes until he retired. We always lived close to an AF base. There is something comforting to me about the sound of a plane taking off. I remember lazy summer days sitting around with my friends on a grassy area on base and watching the planes and hearing that sound.

There was also an airstrip (still is there) at Hurlburt AF base in Florida where I lived where planes had to pass over the highway before landing on the air strip. The planes are very close to the road as they near the runway, of course. One of my favorite things was driving down the highway and timing it just right so that the plane passed over my car when I drove past the runway.

Back
Top Bottom