Your Photos

Anybody can make round crepes, I prefer abstract ones.

Yeah, that's it, I did that on purpose...:)
1520BDF3-9C6D-46ED-8607-D99A0830204F.jpeg

@MypinchofItaly - my wife's a travel agent, and when people go to Italy from here, it's all Rome, Rome, Rome, Venice, Rome, Rome, Florence, but I always say I want to go to Milan, just to people-watch, if nothing else. :)

@MypinchofItaly - my wife's a travel agent, and when people go to Italy from here, it's all Rome, Rome, Rome, Venice, Rome, Rome, Florence, but I always say I want to go to Milan, just to people-watch, if nothing else. :)
I know, Rome, Venice, Florence are most famous than Milan - and the reason is quite obvious. I'm very fond to Rome and I often go there. Everytime, still now, is like a sort of life's experience rather than a trip to Rome for me. The history and culture (food and people included) of these three cities, is something that Milano dorsn't have, but 'She' has other great things. I also consider the Personality about a city, Rome and Milan are completely different. Rome is an open-sky museum, and so Florence and Venice.
Milan has to be discovered step by step. Then make a trip around and visit Lombardy: Cremona, Mantova, Bergamo, Lodi. I hope you and your wife can come in Italy and also have the chance to visit 'minor' cities and places. I love to visit Liguria (Genova) and Emilia Romagna (Bologna) regions. A thread apart for Sardinia (my maternal's family is from Sardegna), a wild beautiful Island, strong nature.

I hope you and your wife can come in Italy and also have the chance to visit 'minor' cities
We spent a bit of time in the Dolomites and Balzano in the 1990's.

Besides the almost otherworldly scenery of the mountains, we had a very fun exchange with a woman working at a street cafe.

Our tour guide told us that being in the Tyrol, an area that had changed hands a few times, it wasn't uncommon to find people who identified as Italian, others who identified as German, and some French-leaning folks as well, and that they can be a little touchy about it.

We were walking around, and we got a few streets off the main square and stopped for a couple of beers.

The older, rather severe-looking woman came out to our street side table, and she didn't even greet us, just glared at us with her pencil and paper in her hand:

"Um...due birre, per favore?"

"Ja! Zwei bier, bitte!" - she glared even more.

Ok, so she must be of German descent, and we just made her angry. Great...

She brought our beer, and I said, "Ah, danke!"

Then she responded in French, which I hadn't studied up on, since we weren't going to spend much time there, and the only word I got was "la nourriture," which I knew meant "food," so my assumption was she asked if we wanted to have food.

"Uh...non, merci," - about the only French I know, and I know I looked sufficiently embarrassed.

Then she broke out in a big smile and said, "It's all right, Buddy!"

Obviously, she got a big kick out of messing with the tourists! :laugh:

We spent a bit of time in the Dolomites and Balzano in the 1990's.

Besides the almost otherworldly scenery of the mountains, we had a very fun exchange with a woman working at a street cafe.

Our tour guide told us that being in the Tyrol, an area that had changed hands a few times, it wasn't uncommon to find people who identified as Italian, others who identified as German, and some French-leaning folks as well, and that they can be a little touchy about it.

We were walking around, and we got a few streets off the main square and stopped for a couple of beers.

The older, rather severe-looking woman came out to our street side table, and she didn't even greet us, just glared at us with her pencil and paper in her hand:

"Um...due birre, per favore?"

"Ja! Zwei bier, bitte!" - she glared even more.

Ok, so she must be of German descent, and we just made her angry. Great...

She brought our beer, and I said, "Ah, danke!"

Then she responded in French, which I hadn't studied up on, since we weren't going to spend much time there, and the only word I got was "la nourriture," which I knew meant "food," so my assumption was she asked if we wanted to have food.

"Uh...non, merci," - about the only French I know, and I know I looked sufficiently embarrassed.

Then she broke out in a big smile and said, "It's all right, Buddy!"

Obviously, she got a big kick out of messing with the tourists! :laugh:

:laugh: what a nice girl.

Trentino Alto Adige is wonderful, and yes, the Dolomites are a true spectacle of nature.
That region is practically divided into two, an Italian part and a part with large mitte European influences, especially Austrian and German, in fact it is not at all rare that they speak German like second language (or even as first), as in Val D'Aosta they also speak in French.

I have friends in Inverness ATM, weathers not good apparently.

Russ

Ah that's a shame, I think we we're extremely lucky when we went, especially as it was end of October. My cousin is going up there this weekend. Hopefully they'll be prepared.

Back
Top Bottom