Your Photos

We actually saw a muntjac deer on the meadows, couldn't get any closer so not perfect pics but just chuffed to see 1.

The photo doesn’t really do these horseflies justice:

View attachment 88487
At least you can swat those!
These things are worse than hell.

This was a small section of the midge screen on our tent one tour inn Scotland.

Every single one of those spots is a small midge like insect (we do call them midge) with a bite totally out of proportion to it's size. They swarm and attack on mass... bites swell to 3 or 4 times the size of the individual midge. Insect spray doesn't seem to phase them. Marmite eaten for a week beforehand and onwards does reduce your attractiveness to them and it is worth every single bite of marmite to avoid a single bite from these blighters.

There are also clegs in Scotland, similar to a horsefly just nastier...

This was a small section of the midge screen on our tent one tour inn Scotland.
We used to see something similar in the UK. What was bad about those was, they seemed to be attracted to light colors, and my uniform of the day was frequently a light blue dress shirt, so outside I’d go, covered instantly in these tiny black bugs, and if I tried to swat and kill them, they’d smear all over my shirt and couldn’t be wiped off.

They’d also clog and block up a car’s radiator!

Along the Gulf Coast from Texas to Florida, there are bugs called "Love Bugs," because the male and female join together for an extended period of time, and fly around in massive swarms. They don't bite, but what they do to a car on the highway after sunset is grotesque.

Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 7.38.00 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 7.38.59 AM.jpg

They appear twice a year, for about a month in Spring, and a month in late Summer/Fall. You have to get them off your paint ASAP, or they can do permanent damage.

CD

Along the Gulf Coast from Texas to Florida, there are bugs called "Love Bugs," because the male and female join together for an extended period of time, and fly around in massive swarms. They don't bite, but what they do to a car on the highway after sunset is grotesque.

View attachment 88501
View attachment 88502

They appear twice a year, for about a month in Spring, and a month in late Summer/Fall. You have to get them off your paint ASAP, or they can do permanent damage.

CD
That reminds me of the time we went to see a particular set of standing stones in the Orkney isles to photograph the sunset. The mozzies were that bad that even with the windscreen wipers on and almost constant washer fluid, you couldn't see through the vehicle windscreen. I only knew I was straying outside of the lane when I hit the cats eyes up the middle of the road. We didn't stop, but moved on to somewhere else to watch the sunset (which was stunning).

We also had something similar 3 years ago with a locust plague (Australian plague locust), but in arriving home the chooks would literally swarm over the car. Apparently fried/BBQ locus werea favourite treat! Girls who were alive then, still check the front of any vehicle when we get home to see what they can remove. We also would have to pick the locust off the radiator so the airflow could be maintained. Hubby's vehicle was better at catching and BBQing them than mine.

Back
Top Bottom