20 Things That Will Disappear With Baby Boomers

they will never know some of the joys that we experienced growing up. The simple things in life.
That’s what every generation says. My mom still tells me about the utter joy in getting 10¢ to spend at the drugstore soda fountain for doing a chore.

In the future, today’s younger folks will be saying things like, “Yeah, I know that food replicator is cool, but you’ll never know the excitement at getting a cardboard box full of pre-chopped and pre-measured vegetables delivered right to your door…now that was cooking from scratch! None of that bee-boop button-pressing on a machine to get a nice plate of kale pesto chicken breasts, you really had to know your way around a kitchen!” 😬

As
That’s what every generation says. My mom still tells me about the utter joy in getting 10¢ to spend at the drugstore soda fountain for doing a chore.

In the future, today’s younger folks will be saying things like, “Yeah, I know that food replicator is cool, but you’ll never know the excitement at getting a cardboard box full of pre-chopped and pre-measured vegetables delivered right to your door…now that was cooking from scratch! None of that bee-boop button-pressing on a machine to get a nice plate of kale pesto chicken breasts, you really had to know your way around a kitchen!” 😬

As you know my wifes a gardener it's in her DNA. Our daughter has it too so I'm right for my lifetime.
And I'll be propagating forever

Russ

We still have that here in the UK. There is an ice-cream woman who calls around this area in her van.

We have an ice cream truck that comes around from time-to-time in summer months, but it looks pretty sketchy. I've never seen any kids go out to it. They are probably too busy playing X-Box games. They'd have to get off the couch to go get ice cream from a truck.

CD

Ah, today's young drivers will never know what it is like to work hard to make enough money to buy enough 47¢ a gallon gasoline to get through the weekend. :eek:

CD

Ah, today's young drivers will never know what it is like to work hard to make enough money to buy enough 47¢ a gallon gasoline to get through the weekend. :eek:

CD
I remember riding around with my older brothers and them having me fish for pocket change stuck down in the seats to pay for gas.

I would add "traditional TV watching"
We stopped doing that and only have "streaming TV" and pay nothing for most of our content.
I would agree with "cash" going by the way side too.
DH & I are true-blue 'Boomers and shake our heads at the younger generations... I kinda feel sorry for them because they will never know some of the joys that we experienced growing up. The simple things in life.
Like a rotary dial telephone, party lines (wow, that was fun!), Drive-In movie theatres ($1 per car load-and no one ever knew about the kids in the trunk :laugh:), vending machine cigarettes (that's if you still smoke-which here in Cowboyville loads of folks do :thumbsdown: )
HEH! The Ice Cream Man! We had one in our neighborhood back in Hawaii and as soon as all the kids heard that "music" you could hear echoing down the street, "MOM! It's the Ice Cream Man!" and we all came running out to the street.
I just saw an ice cream truck today driving through our resort neighborhood.

Motorcycling as we currently know it in the western world.
The overwhelmingly dominant age group who ride expensive larger capacity machines are boomers. Having a car is currently essential for most of us with a motorbike being a leisure item. Younger folk simply don’t have the same level of disposable income and few take it up when they’re older.

Not that it will disappear, far from it but the large dealerships with cafes and a social scene are unlikely to be financially viable. Many in the UK are already closing down. Harley know their audience is thinning dramatically due to ageing so have split their electric motorcycles off into a different company in a bid to not have all their breaking eggs in one basket.

Motorcycling as we currently know it in the western world.
The overwhelmingly dominant age group who ride expensive larger capacity machines are boomers. Having a car is currently essential for most of us with a motorbike being a leisure item. Younger folk simply don’t have the same level of disposable income and few take it up when they’re older.

Not that it will disappear, far from it but the large dealerships with cafes and a social scene are unlikely to be financially viable. Many in the UK are already closing down. Harley know their audience is thinning dramatically due to ageing so have split their electric motorcycles off into a different company in a bid to not have all their breaking eggs in one basket.
The roads are so heavily trafficked these days with cars that it's not as safe to ride as it once was. You're right about the younger generations not riding motorcycles and some of it might be about not having the money, but this is the same generation who grew up wearing helmets riding bicycles, seat belts as children (and weren't allowed to sit in the front seat until a certain weight/height), didn't ride in the back of pickup trucks, and so forth. I'm not certain of your age but I'm 60 and my generation grew up a little more reckless, lol.

Last edited:
The roads are so heavily trafficked these days with cars that it's not as safe to ride as it once was. You're right about the younger generations not riding motorcycles and some of it might be about not having the money, but this is the same generation who grew up wearing helmets riding bicycles, seat eats as children (and weren't allowed to sit in the front seat until a certain weight/height), didn't ride in the back of pickup trucks, and so forth. I'm not certain of your age but I'm 60 and my generation grew up a little more reckless, lol.
True the roads are busy and I did grow up in a far more reckless manner than younger generations (I’m 50), tbh I’m surprised with some of the things I did that I’m still alive 😆

But I live nearish to Bristol and have to go into the city approx once a week, it is groaning with cyclists, they are absolutely everywhere despite heavy traffic and Bristol being hilly. It is the first choice of many of the Bristol commuters along with low powered mopeds and motorbikes and they are almost all young. It just doesn‘t translate into them getting larger cc machines later.

The concerned motorcycle industry surveyed different gens about if they’d thought about motorcycling and the overwhelming answer from the under 40’s was they’d like to but couldn’t afford it. Sad.

True the roads are busy and I did grow up in a far more reckless manner than younger generations (I’m 50), tbh I’m surprised with some of the things I did that I’m still alive 😆

But I live nearish to Bristol and have to go into the city approx once a week, it is groaning with cyclists, they are absolutely everywhere despite heavy traffic and Bristol being hilly. It is the first choice of many of the Bristol commuters along with low powered mopeds and motorbikes and they are almost all young. It just doesn‘t translate into them getting larger cc machines later.

The concerned motorcycle industry surveyed different gens about if they’d thought about motorcycling and the overwhelming answer from the under 40’s was they’d like to but couldn’t afford it. Sad.
I suppose it's also partially the difference in countries or even difference in regions of the US.

My niece (29) owns a motorbike and takes it out maybe 6 times a year. Her husband doesn't approve of it and wants her to sell it. My son-in-law (36) owns one but after their 1st child was born, my oldest daughter laid down the law, telling him she doesn't want to raise their children alone. She refuses to get on it. My youngest daughter's fiance thought about it but my daughter talked him out if it.

Now also take into consideration that Northern US climates are generally very cold and it's only comfortable to ride maybe 5 months out of the year. We did have a milder winter in Ohio than normal this year with less snow (our lakes didn't even freeze over for a change) but I still didn't see people out riding over the winter. It might be different in southern US states. However, on our 11 hour drive from Ohio to South Carolina, I only saw 3 motorcycles during the entire trip, and they were older riders. I haven't seen any since (Sunday will be 2 weeks).

How much of that translates to "I'd like to but my spouse won't let me" :laugh:
A lot :happy:

Many don’t realise horse riding and skiing are far more dangerous than motorcycling when it comes to serious injury and being hospitalised, yet people merrily stick a young child on a horse in a flimsy helmet with no other protective gear and put them on the road on what is an inherently flighty animal based on the idea it’s a wholesome outdoor pursuit.
I grew up horse riding so I’m not decrying it as a pastime, I loved it when I was a kid but the reality is it’s not the safe child friendly pastime people perceive it to be.

My best friend is totally freaked out by my motorcycle riding and constantly says “BE CAREFUL“ because motorcycling in her mind equals death and disability but lets her young children horse ride. She also goes skiing with me and takes her children. Heyho.

A lot :happy:

Many don’t realise horse riding and skiing are far more dangerous than motorcycling when it comes to serious injury and being hospitalised, yet people merrily stick a young child on a horse in a flimsy helmet with no other protective gear and put them on the road on what is an inherently flighty animal based on the idea it’s a wholesome outdoor pursuit.
I grew up horse riding so I’m not decrying it as a pastime, I loved it when I was a kid but the reality is it’s not the safe child friendly pastime people perceive it to be.

My best friend is totally freaked out by my motorcycle riding and constantly says “BE CAREFUL“ because motorcycling in her mind equals death and disability but lets her young children horse ride. She also goes skiing with me and takes her children. Heyho.
Yep yep. I had 3 horses growing up and showed them (dressage, stadium jumping and cross country jumping). I lived through it, lol. I also did a lot of water sports when living in Florida. Pretty reckless.

My FIL is afraid of flying. He'd rather drive 22 hours and stay the night on the way a few times than take a 4 hour flight, which would be cheaper and safer. SMH.

CD
My high school ecology teacher and I used to snake hunt via using a car. One of us would get out and start walking and the other would drive the car a piece up the road, then get out and start walking. We would "leap frog" each other to cover more ground. He always complained about the gas prices back then $.50 per gallon.

Back
Top Bottom