20 Things That Will Disappear With Baby Boomers

Waiting on my lunch, which I ordered from a self-service kiosk (table service no longer offered here - Steak & Shake), I suppose that will become more and more the norm - little to no human involvement when ordering in casual dining restaurants.

I can’t even post you all a pic of the menu!

Waiting on my lunch, which I ordered from a self-service kiosk (table service no longer offered here - Steak & Shake), I suppose that will become more and more the norm - little to no human involvement when ordering in casual dining restaurants.

Little to no employees to pay. :rolleyes:

CD

Does that mean you don't have to leave a tip? Sounds like you pick it up at the counter?

1. China Cabinets -Agree. I think they´ve already disappeared.
2. Workers Standing -Agree. Unless you´re a chef.
3. Strip Clubs. I went past my university last week. As we drove round the corner, there was a pub...the New Cross Arms, where every Friday lunchtime, there would be a stripper who removed everything. Glad to say I haven´t been there since1975.
4. Smoking - Yep - ciggies are on the way out. Can´t say the same for stogies in the US, however.
5. Writing Checks - Wrote my last one in 2015.
6. Suits for Work - last used, 2001.
7. Landline Phones - We´ve still got them, but only because my wife spends about 5 hours a day using them.
8. Hands-on Service - that´s one thing which really gets to me. I can´t resist taking the P*** of these robots, including Alexa. "Get me a beer, Alexa". "Take the dog out, Alexa".
9. Toxic Masculinity. About time it was eliminated. But toxic LGBT, toxic BLM, toxic " Climate Change", toxic minority issues are quickly taking its place.
10. Bridge - I once played in 1974...
11. Phone Calls - Very unusual.
12. Retirement - been there, done that! Although I´m still working when I can.
13. Newspaper - I read BBC online. I buy newspapers when I need to wrap something up.
15. Ability to Buy a Home. Now that is serious.
16. Ironing - Only when absolutely necessary. However, I did need to find some shoe polish the other week for my mum´s funeral. Mission impossible.
17. Dads Doing the Bare Minimum. I´ve always done quite the opposite. Perhaps we should rephrase that: "Mums staying at home"
18. College
19. Church/Religion. With all due respect, how can someone believe in an entity they have never seen? Let me add - I went to church every single Sunday, sometimes 3 times each Sunday, until I was 21.
20. Getting Buried. Burn, baby, burn.

I´m going to add something from an even older generation. We´ve been cleaning out my parents´ house for the past two months. Both born 90 odd years ago. Here are some things I simply don´t get any more:
Hot water bottles.
Blankets.
Handkerchiefs.
Little brushes and mops to wash the dishes, and a bowl to fill with water, and then wash the dishes.
Table mats and tea cosies.
Tinned prunes, pears, mandarins, strawberries, fruit salad.
Tea cups and saucers, milk jugs (tiny ones), vinegar and oil bottles.
Crochet and knitting baskets.

I´m going to add something from an even older generation. We´ve been cleaning out my parents´ house for the past two months. Both born 90 odd years ago. Here are some things I simply don´t get any more:
Hot water bottles.
Blankets.
Handkerchiefs.
Little brushes and mops to wash the dishes, and a bowl to fill with water, and then wash the dishes.
BAHAHAHA!
I still have all of those things!!!

Hot water bottles.
Blankets.
Handkerchiefs.
First post mainly yes, this post nope, you’re no longer English 😆
Hot water bottles YES you absolutely do Still see them, I’m currently considering buying another 😆
Blankets YEP have heaps
Handkerchiefs OK you’re correct thats a no and for most always was, germy little rags 😆
Little brushes and mops to wash the dishes, and a bowl to fill with water, and then wash the dishes. YEP that still happens with ‘not suitable for dishwasher’ items like wooden chopping boards.
Table mats and tea cosies. YEP
Tinned prunes, pears, mandarins, strawberries, fruit salad. Hmm yes and no. Tinned pears, raspberries yes, tinned lychees may have replaced mixed fruit 😂
Tea cups and saucers, milk jugs (tiny ones), vinegar and oil bottles. Oh so YYYYEEEESSSS - Cup and saucer, of course, what sort of animal are you 😆, tiny milk jugs - almost every proper cafe you’ll ever visit.
Crochet and knitting baskets. Soz but also YES crochet has made a big comeback since Covid. Check Etsy if you don‘t believe me.

I gave all the china, crystal and silverware to my ex wife. Now, she can use it once every two years. :laugh:

CD
I think the ‘it doesn’t get used‘ thing is also part of the dresser/glasses cabinet thing.

It’s just there’s a beauty in formality that when you’re using it lets you know, today is a special day. The Brit version of a Japanese tea ceremony?!

Having said that formality in dining is also overrated, being careful with the china and the correct cutlery is tiresome, so long as someone can chew with their mouth shut that’s enough for me 😆

First post mainly yes, this post nope, you’re no longer English
Hahahaha!!
I haven´t had a "bath" in about 45 years. I fail to see the point of washing ones filthy body in hot water, then soaking in the same dirt. Showers rule.
When I wash dishes (and I rarely use a dishwasher) I want them clean. Not soaked in dirty, soapy water then dumped in a tray to dry out.
Additionally, I refuse to say "sorry!" every five seconds...

I think the ‘it doesn’t get used‘ thing is also part of the dresser/glasses cabinet thing.

It’s just there’s a beauty in formality that when you’re using it lets you know, today is a special day. The Brit version of a Japanese tea ceremony?!

Having said that formality in dining is also overrated, being careful with the china and the correct cutlery is tiresome, so long as someone can chew with their mouth shut that’s enough for me 😆

This is on topic, for sure. Formal dining rooms, and formal tableware are fading fast in the US. We couldn't sell my parent's Wedgwood china and Waterford crystal. We had a hard time even giving it away.

That is a baby boomer thing that is already dissapearing.

Anyone else experienced this?

CD

Back
Top Bottom