20 Things That Will Disappear With Baby Boomers

Same here.
I was able to sell one set of silver table service, but I still have TWO MORE!
The Wedgewood and crystal I'm hanging on to, I like it and use it from time to time.
I have both of my Grandmother's bone china tea cup collections and they are worth a small fortune, that I did try to sell on Etsy-no takers-so I'll hang on to those and let my Estate Executor deal with it when the day comes.

I´m going to add something from an even older generation. We´ve been cleaning out my parents´ house for the past two months. Both born 90 odd years ago. Here are some things I simply don´t get any more:
Crochet and knitting baskets.

Oh I absolutely understand. I´m impressed by anyone who can crochet or knit, but I´d surmise that the majority of those who still do so are probably over 50... ish!!

But you posted that in the first quote, the "even older generation."

As to the second, I'll give you majority, but there are still enough people around that a lot of needlework supply shops are thriving and they are coming up with new yarns and designs constantly, so they must have new customers. When Outlander became so popular, patterns and yarns for the cowls, shawls, sweaters, etc. the women wore exploded.

A lot of people still have blankets, maybe not electric blankets, but regular blankets. When it's cold here, out comes the blanket from its plastic bag.

Does that mean you don't have to leave a tip? Sounds like you pick it up at the counter?
You don’t have to, but the kiosk (at least at Steak & Shake) provides the option. Today, I did indeed have to pick it up (as I also must do at Taco Bell) - McD’s will run it out to your table.

What do you sleep under?

Table mats and tea cosies.
What?! My next trip to the UK, I’ll be getting a new cosy to replace my tea-stained one (which also came from the UK) and we use table mats and placemats all the time.

Tinned prunes, pears, mandarins, strawberries, fruit salad.
We don’t buy tinned/canned ones any longer, but we do have most of that stuff in little plastic tubs.

Tea cups and saucers, milk jugs (tiny ones), vinegar and oil bottles.
Ack! I have all of those and use them regularly (as in, nearly every day)!

Additionally, I refuse to say "sorry!" every five seconds...
That’s it, you’ve gone too far - you’re no longer allowed to go through the Residents line at Passport Control at Heathrow. You’ve got to go through the Non-residents line with the rest of us. And you have to say “line,” you can’t say “queue!” :wink:

When Outlander became so popular, patterns and yarns for the cowls, shawls, sweaters, etc. the women wore exploded.

A lot of people still have blankets, maybe not electric blankets, but regular blankets. When it's cold here, out comes the blanket from its plastic bag.
After we watched the 1st season, my husband thought about getting a kilt. I'd be alright with that.

Waiting on my lunch, which I ordered from a self-service kiosk (table service no longer offered here - Steak & Shake), I suppose that will become more and more the norm - little to no human involvement when ordering in casual dining restaurants.

I can’t even post you all a pic of the menu!
I noticed all the sad/shocked faces on my post about ordering from the self-service kiosk - I should say…I’m all for that! For fast-food and even casual sit-down, I’d rather just use a kiosk or ordering app, though, lazy-ass that I am, I’d prefer someone bring it out to me.

I noticed all the sad/shocked faces on my post about ordering from the self-service kiosk - I should say…I’m all for that! For fast-food and even casual sit-down, I’d rather just use a kiosk or ordering app, though, lazy-ass that I am, I’d prefer someone bring it out to me.
I have a lot of memories of the way Steak n Shake used to be. It is shocking.

I´m going to add something from an even older generation. We´ve been cleaning out my parents´ house for the past two months. Both born 90 odd years ago. Here are some things I simply don´t get any more:
Hot water bottles.
Blankets.
Handkerchiefs.
Little brushes and mops to wash the dishes, and a bowl to fill with water, and then wash the dishes.
Table mats and tea cosies.
Tinned prunes, pears, mandarins, strawberries, fruit salad.
Tea cups and saucers, milk jugs (tiny ones), vinegar and oil bottles.
Crochet and knitting baskets.
Fully understand the
  • hot water bottle and covers for it (we don't have central heating)
  • Blankets (we don't have central heating)
  • We also have lap blankets for the evening on the sofa. If we're cold, we can't just turn up the heating, we have to put an extra layer on.
  • Washing up bowl, brush and cloth. We hand wash. It uses a lot less water the way we do it than a dish washer would. And without the bowl, it wood be hard to wash the dishes. We also have a draining/ drying rack.
  • Table mats, yes. Stops the table burning out marking
  • Knitting baskets, yeah I've got those. I can't sit in front of the TV and do nothing except watch the TV. My hands have to be busy all the time.
I don't get
  • Tinned fruit or fruit salad of (almost) any kind
  • Tea cups & saucers, or milk jugs. I also don't get Tea pots either.
  • I don't even know what your mean by vinegar and oil bottles unless you're referring bottles on the table? But we don't do those. They are in the fridge, I just get them out when we want them.
  • Crochet anything. I don't crochet though I may take it up because I've spotted a stunning blanket/Afghan that I would love to have but the company only ship the kit to USA and won't ship abroad and they want a staggering amount for pattern alone.

That is a baby boomer thing that is already dissapearing.

Anyone else experienced this?
Definitely and it is much worse for us because my late grandmother on my step fathers side worked at Wedgwood her entire life, so got massive staff discounts. Each "kid" was allowed to choose a dinner service design and was given a 12 plate setting of their choice for their 18th birthday.

But to me Wedgwood became associated with seconds or thirds (yes they do do them) and with something wrong with the dinner service. But I do still have the cookware that came from Wedgwood in wild Strawberry design.

I noticed all the sad/shocked faces on my post about ordering from the self-service kiosk - I should say…I’m all for that! For fast-food and even casual sit-down, I’d rather just use a kiosk or ordering app, though, lazy-ass that I am, I’d prefer someone bring it out to me without talking to me.

FTFY

CD

Back
Top Bottom