20 Things That Will Disappear With Baby Boomers

The roads are so heavily trafficked these days with cars that it's not as safe to ride as it once was. You're right about the younger generations not riding motorcycles and some of it might be about not having the money, but this is the same generation who grew up wearing helmets riding bicycles, seat belts as children (and weren't allowed to sit in the front seat until a certain weight/height), didn't ride in the back of pickup trucks, and so forth. I'm not certain of your age but I'm 60 and my generation grew up a little more reckless, lol.

True that . I had bikes when 15 culminating in a triumph trident 750. I had 2 occasions when I had to " drop" my bike. I thought about buying another triumph 5 years ago. I weighed up thr safety factor and flagged it.
I too, was reckless when too young. Hell I was drifting In the 70s in a Mk III zephyr.
Wet day bald tyres kind of stuff, it's a whole new industry now!!

Russ

Hot water bottles.

Believe me they are still much used. They are particularly 'in vogue' (literally -see link below!) at the moment since energy bills are so high. The good thing about hot water bottles (in my experience) is that they warm up cold feet without necessarily over-heating the rest of the body. There are plenty of folk who suffer cold feet as they get older.

Why a Hot-Water Bottle Is the Key to Staying Cozy—And Easing Period Cramps—This Winter

Believe me they are still much used. They are particularly 'in vogue' at the moment since energy bills are so high. The good thing about hot water bottles (in my experience) is that they warm up cold feet without necessarily over-heating the rest of the body. There are plenty of folk who suffer cold feet as they get older.

My ex wife had cold feet in her thities. She didn't need a hot water bottle to warm them at night in bed, she used me for that. :eek: :D

CD

Maybe it’s a difference in terminology, as around here “blanket” (and “cover”) are generic terms for anything you sleep under on the bed, while “quilt,” “duvet,” “bedspread,” etc. would be specific terms.

When you said blankets were on their way out, I thought you were just sleeping on top of the mattress!

Maybe it’s a difference in terminology, as around here “blanket” (and “cover”) are generic terms for anything you sleep under on the bed, while “quilt,” “duvet,” “bedspread,” etc. would be specific terms.

A blanket in the UK is usually a thick woolly thing although there are lighter cotton cellular types. The old fashioned way to make a bed was a sheet on top, followed by a blanket and then a quilt. Duvets (sometimes called continental quilts) are the norm now and so much easier.

In hospital here, most beds are still made up using a sheet on top and then a cellular blanket.

A blanket in the UK is usually a thick woolly thing although there are lighter cotton cellular types. The old fashioned way to make a bed was a sheet on top, followed by a blanket and then a quilt. Duvets (sometimes called continental quilts) are the norm now and so much easier.

In hospital here, most beds are still made up using a sheet on top and then a cellular blanket.
We do it the old fashioned way.

Making the bed! Get your minds out of the gutter!

Last edited:
Believe me they are still much used. They are particularly 'in vogue' (literally -see link below!) at the moment since energy bills are so high. The good thing about hot water bottles (in my experience) is that they warm up cold feet without necessarily over-heating the rest of the body. There are plenty of folk who suffer cold feet as they get older.

Why a Hot-Water Bottle Is the Key to Staying Cozy—And Easing Period Cramps—This Winter
I love climbing into a cold bed. We had bottles as kids though.

Russ

I love climbing into a cold bed.
Funny, I’m the same way.

When MrsT and I first married, we’d occasionally spend the night at her parents. They kept the guest room shut off from the furnace, and I was always supposed to go open the vents earlier in the evening, and open the door, to heat the room before bedtime, but I’d always “forget” to do that.

Believe me, -10F outside, unheated bedroom with two outside walls, and the floor over an unheated garage, that room was exquisitely cold!

Funny, I’m the same way.

When MrsT and I first married, we’d occasionally spend the night at her parents. They kept the guest room shut off from the furnace, and I was always supposed to go open the vents earlier in the evening, and open the door, to heat the room before bedtime, but I’d always “forget” to do that.

Believe me, -10F outside, unheated bedroom with two outside walls, and the floor over an unheated garage, that room was exquisitely cold!

Before I was married to my ex-wife, when we visited her mom in Oklahoma, we slept in separate bedrooms, so as not to offend her mom.

I slept in a room nicknamed "the coffin room," because it had tufted quilting on the walls. It was a small room that really made you think you were in a coffin. It had no heat, so the tufted quilts helped on really cold nights.

There was another upstairs bedroom that her dad slept in when he visited the family (her mom and dad were divorced). His room had bare walls. In the mornings at Christmas time, the North wall inside that bedroom would have a thin layer of frost on it, caused by the humidity of his breathe freezing on the cold wall. :eek:

CD

Back
Top Bottom